PDA

View Full Version : Pre-bubble: too tight or good laydowns

AndrewB
03-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Had a few hands come up in a recent $10+1 sit n go when the blinds were high. I ended up laying both of them down, but thought about going all in both times.

Hand 1: Blinds 75/150, 5 left.
Hero is UTG with t3000
Mr. Tight is UTG+1 with t3000
Short Stack is button with t1000

Mr. Tight has won 2 big pots, but hasn't played many other hands and certainly hasnt reraised pre-flop at all yet.
Short Stack is in desperation mode and just doubled up to get where he is at.

Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif and raises to t450
Mr. Tight raises to t1500
Hero folds

Hand 2: Blinds are 100/200, 4 left
Hero is UTG with t2600 (and short stack)
Mr. Tight is Button with t3000

Hero is deal 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif and raises to t600
Mr. Tight raises to t1800
Hero curses Mr. Tight and folds.

Should have I moved in with either of these two, given my reads? A friend thought I could have moved in on both, and the 55 hand was a sure push.

So, did I put too much emphasis on my reads? Hand 1 I was thinking AA-TT, AK. Hand 2 was middle pair (but bigger than 55) or AK/AQ.

sfer
03-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I would fold both. Was this last night? I think I might have been Mr. Tight.

In hand 1 I don't want call off half my chips when I'm usually in very bad shape and in hand 2 I can still be a little patient with 10 BBs even if I'm a small-stack.

shoeman
03-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Both of these are very read dependent. Since you indicated that Mr. Tight does indeed live up to his name, I think you can safely fold both of these hands and not feel too bad about it.

You will still be left with enough chips to steal in the future.

Vee Quiva
03-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Good fold, in hand one.

I think in hand 2 if he's as tight as you say, then you should have pushed all in. On the bubble he is liable to play even tighter and only call with AA, KK, AK, QQ, or maybe JJ. Granted you probably only win the blinds but they are pretty big at this level.

The bubble is the time to be selectively aggressive.

therock
03-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I hit the fold button as fast as I can.

55 - you are facing a raise. You have no fold equity with a re-raise. You are either a coinflip if he has two over cards or a huge dog if he has an overpair. This is the absolute worst time to throw you chips in the pot. You still have a reasonable stack if you fold.

AJ - pretty similar, although I think you even have a better chance of being a huge dog.

You laid them both down, so well played.

AndrewB
03-09-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold both. Was this last night? I think I might have been Mr. Tight.

In hand 1 I don't want call off half my chips when I'm usually in very bad shape and in hand 2 I can still be a little patient with 10 BBs even if I'm a small-stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a game on PS last night. If you busted me a few orbits later when I tried to steal with Kx and you held AA you were indeed Mr. Tight and I hope you used my chips well /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Nice reraises too.