PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Star Trip Report (very long...but not long enough)

SossMan
03-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Got to the cardroom at around 9:30 or so and registered. They had a huuuuuuuuge buffet. I mean, the tables were literally overflowing. It was actually kind of cartoonish. So I wait around for the two hours and talk to a few railbirds. Finally, Matt Savage calls the players to the tables. I’m sitting at table 22 of 22, so we will be one of, if not the, first table to break. I already know that there are three pros at my table.

Seat 1 is a woman who’s name I recognize…I think her and her husband are pros – very ABC from what I gathered
Seat 2 is John Esposito
Seat 3 is a guy w/ a paradise poker shirt on who has obviously never played live…think Zaxx, not MLG
Seat 4 is an older gent who is from Iowa (?)…kept talking about twisters and earthquakes, didn’t seem to want to go home early, FWIW
Seat 5 was Dave Williams
Seat 6 was a younger guy who seemed to know what he was doing, a little weak tight for my taste
Seat 7 was the best player in the world
Seat 8 was a guy who took implied odds a little to far because he would call almost every 3x raise preflop, and fold on most flops if bet into
Seat 9 was a guy about 30ish who seemed decent enough
Seat 10 was Blair Rodman (pro)

I was torn in the beginning about how to treat round 1 (super tight, limp into some flops, aggressive from the get go?) but as you will see, sometimes, I just can’t help myself.

I’ll have more details about these early hands because I was able to write them down at the first break. The later hands will be from memory and may be slightly fuzzy.

First orbit:

25-50 blinds

Seat 4 (Iowa) limps
DW limps
I raise to 250 from the SB w/ Ah2s
Blinds fold, limpers call

Flop is As 5s 7s

I check, Iowa checks, DW bets 600, I ch-raise to 1500, both fold.

25-50 blinds

I open raise in MP to 150 with A7o.
Loosey to my left (I didn’t know he was loose yet, obviously) calls.
Esposito calls in BB.
3 to the flop for 475.

Flop is Ac 9c 2s

Esposito bets out 250. I look left and loosey is about to muck out of turn, so I call. He mucks.

Turn: Kh
He checks, I check behind.

River: 3h
He bets 500 into a 975 pot and I call.
He flopped two pair A9. I muck and silently thank god that the river wasn’t a 7h.

25-50 blinds
Open raise from MP w/ ATs
Loosey calls
Blair Rodman calls on button.
Blinds fold.

I had just ordered a water, so I was a little distracted, and I didn’t know that the blinds folded, so when the flop of Q 9 7 rainbow came out, I was waiting for the blinds to act. Finally, they said that it was on me, and I said, oh, were 3 handed? Ok, I bet the pot. It was just enough unintentional hollywooding to get them to both fold. (Okay, maybe it was because they had no pair)

A little history…the hand right before this one DW raised preflop, was called from the blinds. He made roughly pot sized bets on the flop and turn when it was 887x. He was called by the SB both times (loosey). The river was a 9 and the SB bet out about 4k into a big pot. DW called w/ KK and loosey had 99 for the rivered boat. DW seemed a little tilty.

25-50
BR limps UTG
DW limps in LP, I limp on the button w/ Ah9h, blinds limp. We all have around 10k except DW who has about 3800.

Flop is Qh 3h 2c

Checked to DW, he bets 325 into a 250 pot. I call, everyone else folds.

Turn is a black 4.

He checks. I consider betting, but check.

River is the 8h, giving me the nuts.
He bets out 400, and I’m praying that he’s got a flush. I decide that he’s played it exactly like a flush and he’s a little tilty, so maybe I’ll get a loose call from a set or st8. Plus he’s got a 5k bounty and I would be pissed if I let him off the hook by making a smaller raise. I push. He thinks for a bit, flashes a queen, and mucks….DAMN!!

Blinds went up to 50-100
BR limps UTG, Zaxx-imposter limps, folded to me, I raise to 500 on the button w/ Ac9c. Blinds fold, limpers call.

Pot = 1650.
Flop is 9s 6s 7c
They check to me, I bet 1500, only BR calls.

Turn: 4h
Check check

River is another 9. I bet 1200, he calls and MHIG.

Blinds 50-100
KK UTG+1. UTG folds, I raise to 325, BR calls, everyone else folds.
I bet 500 on a 358r flop and he folds.

Sometime after my nut flush hand w/ DW, he tripled up w/ JJ on an undercard board and was back to around 10k. Then he got tangled w/ Esposito on a flop of 9d 7d 2c. There was some flop betting and turn betting and the river was an offsuit Queen, Esposito put him all in and DW called. He had AdQd for the rivered tptk, esposito had a set of 99. DW busts on the first hand of round 2. Esposito now has a mountain of chips. Greeeeaat.

Esposito (JE) opens from MP for 300. Only I call from the SB w/ AsJs.
Flop is AQx rainbow.
I check call a 500 bet.
Turn is the 3 of rainbow.
I check call a 1500 bet.
River is a J.
I bet out 1500. He thinks a bit and folds (flashing an ace)

UTG raises to 300. I call in the SB w/ KQ.
Flop comes Q high with no flush draw.
I check call 500.
Turn and river are undercards and we check down both streets, and MHIG.

John Juanda has replaced DW. My day just keeps getting better.
Blinds 50-100
Zaxx limps, JJ limps, I limp from button w/ Ac9c. SB folds, BB checks.

Flop is TTx w/ 2 clubs.
Zaxx bets 300, I call.
Turn is a 3 diamonds (putting two diamonds out there).
He checks, I bet 1000. He calls.

River is a 5 of clubs. He checks, I bet 1000, he check raises me to 2000. I look at the board, and there is a small chance that he made a flush too. There’s a small chance that he’s bluffing with a missed draw. Maybe he thinks his T is still good? Maybe he called the whole way w/ 55? I really want to put him in for his last 4500, but I wimp out and just call.
He emabarassingly turns over the 8d2d (sooooooted) and of course MHIG.

Unfortunately, this is my high water mark. I have around 18k at this point and am about even with JE for table lead.

He comes the gore:

Blinds 50-100.
I open raise to 300 from MP w/ Q-To. BR calls from the button. JE calls from the BB.
Flop is K9x.
JE checks, I bet 525, BR folds, JE calls.
Turn is 2 of purple horseshoes.
JE checks, I bet 1200, JE calls.
River: K
JE checks, I bet 2000, and he calls with QQ and HHIG.

Very next hand
I limp from MP w/ QJs. Loosey limps. BR limps. JE limps from SB. BB checks.

Flop is QQT.
Checked to me, I bet 525 (the same amount I bet last time on my gutshot)
Only JE calls. Uh oh.
Turn is a small card.
He checks, I bet 1200, he raises it 1500 more (2700 total).
I call.
River is an A.
He checks to me. Do I check behind like anyone with half a friggin’ brain? Of course not, I decide to bet 6600. He calls.
He has QT for the flopped boat and I curse myself for playing like such a douche. What a terrible bet. What is he calling me with that I can beat? What is he laying down that I can’t beat?
Unless he has exactly Q9 or maybe Q8s. Just dumb.

Last hand before the break. I’m down to around 6k. I have QT in the BB. It’s folded around to decent player to my right who limps. I check.

Flop is QQx (oh no, not again). He bets out 300. I call.
Turn is an A. He bets out 1000, I call.

River is a blank. He checks, I bet 1000, he calls and I’m back up to around 10k.

Shortly after the break, our table breaks up and I’m moved to table 3, seat 4.

I only recognize one player and he’s to my left. Miami John. He has a bounty.
He has around 3000-4000 in chips, so he’s bustable. I hover between 9k and 12k for all of round 3 and 4. The table is not very good. It’s really tight and aggressive. It’s rarely folded even to late position for a steal raise. I make a few resteals from MP openers and have some success. There is one guy in seat 1 who takes like 5 min on every decision. He also like to look at you when the flop came out if it was heads up. Only after you acted would he look back at the flop. I picked up on this pretty early (since he was in a lot of pots) so I thought that I would throw him a fake tell. He opened from MP (for the zillionth time) for 600 (blinds 100-200). I reraised to 1200 w/ T7s from one off the button. Only he called.

Flop was like K Q 6. When the flop came, I darted my eyes down at my chips then quickly looked away from the table. He checked, I non-chalauntly bet 1200, and he mucked. What a goober.

Round 4 was uneventful until the very last hand.

What I thought was a conservative player to my right (he had a big stack of chips, but wasn’t using them…something like 20k or so) open limped from three off the button. I didn’t realize that he hadn’t acted yet when I said raise. I followed through anyway, and made it 800 to go w/ AJ-off.
Miami John called behind me, folded to limper, he called.

Flop was Kxx. Checked around.
Turn paired the 3 a nd also put a club draw on the board (I didn’t have the Ac). guy to my right bet 1200. I thought that I could take it away here or on the river, so I raised it 3k more. Miami folded.
He thought for a good 2 min and called.
He checked to me on the river.
I thought for a bit deciding whether to follow through or not. I really read him as weak on this hand for some reason. I wasn’t sure if he’d even call w/ something like KQ.
I had about 9k left. He had about twice that. The pot was about 11k. I bet out 7k.
By this time everyone was at break. He thought for what seemed like forever and finally called me. I said nice hand. He turned over KT and my heart sank.

So I’m down to around 3k with blinds going to 150-300 w/ 50 ante. I need to find a hand.
I have a few candidates (A9 in LP, 55 in MP) but early raises spoil my party.
I finally pick up AA on the SB. I am now down to 1900 total. There are 500 in antes in the pot. MP opens for 1000. I push from SB, he instacalls with TT and my AA holds up. I am now up to about 4100. I still need to make a move, but now have some breathing room. Unfortunately, this table isn’t cooperating. They won’t let me limp with small pairs, they won’t let me open raise.
I also caught a real dry run of cards that I couldn’t do anything about. I was anted down to 1900 again when I pushed when it finally got folded to me on the button w/ A6s. I took down the blinds/antes and was up to 2800ish.
Next hand first hand of level 6, blinds 200-400 antes 50. I open push w/ QJo from the CO, and SB wakes up with QQ. Miami John tells me he folded a jack. Thanks, John.
Flop comes K high, I ask for a T on the turn, but the dealer puts a 2 and I’m drawing dead. Actually I made a jack high spade flush on the end, but he had the Qs of course.

Overall, I think I played well on most hands, but made some costly river mistakes. I think I need to go read TOP again.

ZBTHorton
03-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Great report.

willie
03-09-2005, 02:26 PM
i love the false tell....NICE! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

nolanfan34
03-09-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seat 3 is a guy w/ a paradise poker shirt on who has obviously never played live…think Zaxx, not MLG

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious.

I agree with you - some of those river plays were questionable. I can imagine it's hard looking at the pile of chips in the middle though, and not wanting to take a stab at them. But hand 10 and hand 11, I'd just give up the pot at that point. I'd just check behind.

The AJ hand toward the end, I hate the river bet specifically because of your stack size at that point. If he was going to fold the river, wouldn't a slightly smaller river bet probably get him to fold? I know there was a lot in the pot, but the blinds were still pretty small for a 9k stack, you still have room to manuever. I would have maybe bet maybe closer to half the pot if anything, maybe make it look like you WANT a call. You're a much better player than I am though.

Good report, I was rooting for ya, sorry it didn't end up better.

SossMan
03-09-2005, 02:38 PM
thx

nolanfan34
03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I was just reading that AJ hand again, any reason you didn't bet the flop? Did you expect Miami John to bet if checked to?

This is results oriented thinking, but I'm wondering if a flop bet there would have made it easier to get away from earlier in the hand. Had you made a continuation bet, you'd certainly get some info from the limper if he just calls you.

SossMan
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I was done with the hand if either one bet the flop. On the turn, I really had a read that the guy was making a weak "before the break" stab at a nice sized pot. His small bet just smelled funky, so I tried to take it down there. I wasn't worried about MJ since he checked the flop.

I really put him on a medium-small pair. When he just called me, I really thought that he had something like TT or KQ,KJ and I didn't think that he could take the heat on the river with a big bet.
You have to remember that I've shown incredible strength on this hand by raising preflop, then checking behind on the flop and raising the turn. I have played it like AA, KK, or a flopped set.
Even if I saw his hand, I might make the same bet on the river.
I was trying to come up with an amount that would leave me with around at least 10x but still have some teeth to fold a K. I still think that I would play it the same way on the turn and the river. That pot would have been lovely at this table.

MrLob
03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Great report Soss. I was laughing my a.. off at the fake tell. I feel your pain busin' out day one. I played in the event on Monday and got bounced with about a 1/2 hour left. Take a look at my post from yesterday and let me know what you think of the hand.

nolanfan34
03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
OK, that makes sense. I agree that the way you played it made it look like a monster on the turn. But, despite that fact, you still got called - that would worry me a bit.

You mention that you thought he maybe had TT, KQ, KJ...he wouldn't open the pot with those? You did say he had been playing tightly I guess.

woodguy
03-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Great report.

Nice work on accumulating a good stack early.

After I saw on Savage's website that DW was knocked out in level 2 was hoping it was you who collected the bounty.

Hands 10&11

I feel your pain.

I shorted myself in the WSOP with questionable river decisions as well and I felt horrible.

Getting beat is tough, when we beat ourselves its even tougher.

Oh well, this won't be the last $10K entry tourney you play. I'm sure the next $10K report you log will involve how much you cashed.

Regards,
Woodguy

MLG
03-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Random Thoughts:

I think leaving yourself 2k in that spot is a sign of weakness not strength. I think either an all-in or a 5k or so bet is better.

Other quick random thoughts, that was one nice call by JE with QQ. If he's making that call, he might call your river raise with a hand that QJ beats. It was a bad raise, but not an awful one.

A2o out of the SB, you're nuts, but I love it.

Kick ass report, and great effort.

I'll have more later.

Prime Time
03-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Great report.
On the David William Flush hand (hand #4), I like your reasoning for pushing, but after the DW muck, I wonder if a raise to 1000-1,200, might be better to try to secure some chips for the hit.

PGA71

zaxx19
03-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Great report...

So basically you started of playing wildly LAG and still didnt get paid on some kind rivers...then the players realized were BS slowplayed your monkey ass and you proceeded to hang yourself spewing chips at level 2 like a drunk millionaire at a craps table.

I definitely appreciated being made fun of....but the poker is just horrid.

Roman
03-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Great report, thanks soss.

I really hate the bet size on that AJ bluff. It is basically telling the guy "I want to buy the pot, but dont want to go home".

JaBlue
03-09-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The irony!

JaBlue
03-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Great read, Sossman. Please post another report when you participate in a similar event.

My thoughts on the hands:
#1 I don't really buy your play... maybe I just don't understand it, but hear me out. You showed some huge preflop strength by raising out of the SB. I think you should bet out strong in order to accurately represent hands like AA, K-K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q-Q:spade, or A-K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A-Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif etc. Your version worked though, so kudos.

#2 Don't really like the flop call. I don't think you're going to get much out of a one-pair hand that you beat if you happen to turn two pair, while you do set yourself up to lose big time (in the actual situation). If you called because you thought you were ahead or you thought he was weak, I would have rather raised.

#3 I like

#4 I would like it if it weren't for the bounty. I think DW may have thought of the bounty, causing him to fold. Also if you value raise it, maybe he plays back with the non-nut flush?

#5 I really like the way you played this hand

#6 Some people like to check in this spot, but given the way it seems like you were playing the bet is much much better. Good play.

#7 good play

#8 I like a lot

#9 Yeah, you should definitely value-raise the river here. You're getting called by all sorts of hands that you beat.

#10 Hard to critique, great play from your opponent. I think you played the hand fine.

#11 Yeah, this is a really horrible river bet. But you know that.

#12 good

#13 : River bluff : I don't like your bet size. I'd rather make a real "value bet" like 5500 or push it all in here.

Your shortstack plays: textbook. Good.

Loved the report. Lots of food for thought.

SossMan
03-09-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't get a big head...yours was just the first name that popped into my head when I was thinking of a weak tight scared internet only poker player who wins his first sat into a real live poker event and proceeds to forget to protect his cards, acts out of turn, doesn't notice raises, etc...

sam h
03-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Nice report. Sorry you didn't cash but I imagine it was a great experience that will help you next time.

I have a couple specific comments on hands but let me ask you a general question first. Why the chip spewing in the first few levels? You might have some weak spots to take advantage of in the game, but there are some tough opponents there as well and even weak spots can make hands. With 200BB stacks, its very hard for me to understand either the A2o raise (which is not going to take it down preflop and asking to play a flop out of position against at least one tough player with a very, very bad holding for deep-stacked NL) or even the MP open raise with A7o.

Specific comments:

#8 - I don't know who UTG was here but unless you have great control over the player, I would muck KQo in the SB to an UTG raise. You got a very good flop and could only extract 500. Basically, I think you will win a little or lose a lot in this spot.

#9 - I think you need to reraise here. To me the chance of a club flush is a lot higher than 55, which has a hard time calling the turn.

#11 - Very tough spot. The river was bad but you know that. I am very surprised that he didn't bet the river or put you in after you bet the river. Bad play on JE's part in my book.

#12 - Played perfectly.

Fake tell hand - Very nice and astute move. I think you need to reraise a little bit more preflop though since a lot of the quity in this move is taking it down right there and you're asking for a call.

AJ hand - I'm assuming blinds were 1-2 at this point. Again, I would raise more preflop in order to give yourself a better chance at just taking it down and improve your chances of getting it heads up.

I have to think that when he calls the 3K more on the turn he has decided that you wouldn't check something that beats a king on the flop. It's easy to say in hindsight, but I would shut it down unless an ace hits the river.

SossMan
03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With 200BB stacks, its very hard for me to understand either the A2o raise (which is not going to take it down preflop and asking to play a flop out of position against at least one tough player with a very, very bad holding for deep-stacked NL) or even the MP open raise with A7o.

[/ QUOTE ]

The A2o hand is easy. The first limper is open limping from LP. Weak. DW doesn't isolate? Weaker. I raise enough here to look like a real hand and play the flop from there. The flop was good in that it allowed me to fold to a bet from the first limper, and raise a bet from DW.

The A7o hand was probably a mistake in hindsight because of the loose caller to my left. I hadn't realized how loose he was yet. This presents a problem in that not only do I have someone with position on me, but he has now priced in the blinds. I'm sure that JE doesn't call with his A9o from the BB if he doesn't have the caller in between.
The table was lacking in flops. Many of the hands were taken down with PF raises. I wanted to establish an image that would enable me to get paid off on a big hand. Also, as I knew that I was only slightly above average skill level, I didn't mind taking some gamble.
[ QUOTE ]
#8 - I don't know who UTG was here but unless you have great control over the player, I would muck KQo in the SB to an UTG raise. You got a very good flop and could only extract 500. Basically, I think you will win a little or lose a lot in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a loose opener. His raise there doesn't mean AA-JJ and AK, AQ. It means a playable hand. He didn't open limp.
I was going to checkraise the turn there, but he checked behind.

[ QUOTE ]
#9 - I think you need to reraise here. To me the chance of a club flush is a lot higher than 55, which has a hard time calling the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was torn there. Looking back, maybe I should have reraised the river. I think that this hand is interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
#11 - Very tough spot. The river was bad but you know that. I am very surprised that he didn't bet the river or put you in after you bet the river. Bad play on JE's part in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

He told JJ after the hand that he put me on exactly AQ when I called his turn raise. The ace came up and he slowed down. I should have taked the blessing and checked behind. As soon as I made the bet, I hated it.

Lurshy
03-10-2005, 11:55 AM
In fairness to Zaxx, the person Soss is describing is calling with Crap. Based on Zaxx's posts, I don't think he is the type of player to chase and call with crap. He may fold winners, but won't call with crap. Now me on the other I would prbably call with crap /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nice to see Zaxx took it in stride though.

MLG
03-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Some general thoughts.

1. I like the speed you play at, and obviously you are very comfortable playing there. I would only say that with stacks this big its much better to get those extra raises in with 64s or 98s than A7o. It might just be the selection of hands you chose, but it seems to me that you are gonna get yourself in situations with reverse implied odds quite a bit.

2. The fake tell hand. I hate the tiny preflop reraise, either call, and raise the flop with air, or make a real reraise here.

3. The big bluff hand. I think that your bet sizing cost you this hand. I like preflop and the flop. On the turn making it 4200 is pretty big if you plan on following through on the river. If you only want to take one stab on it then I like popping it up 3000 to 4200. If I'm planning on firing 2 bullets I think a smaller turn raise to maybe 3000 or 3500 is better. That way a good sized river bet will be less of your stack. Also, I hate the size of the river bet. 7k doesnt accomplish anything that 4.5k doesnt. I think you need to either push or make the smaller bet.