PDA

View Full Version : software comparison

rabbitlover
03-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Has anyone actually had significant experience with not only PT, but also StatKing, and PokerOffice?
I have downloaded and tried PT, lots of features, but not real user friendly, seems almost like some of the old DOS programs; and a poor help file. On the plus side they are very responsive on their forum.

Have not tried the other two and am curious if anyone has enough experience with all to give an opinion.

splashpot
03-09-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a poor help file

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the PT help file is top notch.

SheridanCat
03-09-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone actually had significant experience with not only PT, but also StatKing, and PokerOffice?
I have downloaded and tried PT, lots of features, but not real user friendly, seems almost like some of the old DOS programs; and a poor help file. On the plus side they are very responsive on their forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? PokerTracker, right? You are not describing the software I know. How is this like "old DOS programs"? There is a ton of information presented, but it's all very well organized if you know what you're looking at. And the help file is actually very helpful, I thought.

[ QUOTE ]

Have not tried the other two and am curious if anyone has enough experience with all to give an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

StatKing is a session tracking program. You enter your sessions and it keeps pertinent stats for you including $/hr, standard deviation, etc. I use it and recommend it, but you could use Excel instead if that's your cup of tea.

I have seen PokerOffice in action but never really though much about it. I recall someone mentioning it violates the PartyPoker terms of use, but I don't know that for fact.

Regards,

T

rabbitlover
03-10-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And the help file is actually very helpful, I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well perhaps its me, but compared to something like the wizards you would find in a Microsoft product the help file is not a step by step tutorial.
That said, PT does capture a lot of information for the sites it handles. Apparently that is a problem for anyone developing a product like this, keeping up with the poker sites.
And it's choice to use Access as the database engine should be addressed; and I've noticed on their forum this being discussed.

[ QUOTE ]

I recall someone mentioning it violates the PartyPoker terms of use, but I don't know that for fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does Poker Office do that would trouble the poker sites?

Thanks for the responses.

68Mustang
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
bump, I'd like to know also what it violates.

illunious
03-10-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump, I'd like to know also what it violates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before party had live hand history logs stored to the hard drive (and PO might still do this, not sure), it used screen scraping to import live hand hisories.

Screen scraping is specifically listed as a no-no, but technically any program that works with party (including PT) is in violation of the TOS due to this: "Information sent to an outside program is not permitted." in section 6, "Artificial Intelligence" link (http://partypoker.com/about_us/legal_information.html)

Obviously, Party has no problem with people using PT, the reason they started HD HH's was to accomodate PT users (and lower the load on their mail servers).

Dangergirl
03-10-2005, 09:53 PM
In all honesty here rabbitlover, Poker Tracker is nothing like old DOS programs. There are no commands to enter it's basically WYSIWYG. To fully understand PT you have to read the excellent help file that is available. If you want more detailed info then buy the guide promoted at their site. Questions you have can quickly be answered on their forum. Sure it doesn't come with a nice little wizard, but all it takes is practice and the ability to use the search function on both these and the PT forums.

rabbitlover
03-11-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Questions you have can quickly be answered on their forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that they are quite responsive on their forum. And it is obvious that PT has the most customer loyalty.

Thanks

Shorty35
03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I used both and PO, but have moved almost exclusively to PT. I play ring games infrequently, however, so it defeats one of the best features of poker office -- the live player stats. (PT has a similar feature, but it is not automatic). In tournaments, this feature is of limited value.

PO does display your "odds to improve" based upon the board and your hand - but if you are an intermediate player or better this also doesnt add too much (you should know the odds already).

Net, Net, Poker Tracker is the better software - although they could adopt some ease of use tips from Poker Office. Customer support at Poker Tracker is phenomenal.