PDA

View Full Version : poker friendly job suggestion

BIGRED
03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm day dreaming again at work and was wondering if there are jobs out there that one might consider as "poker-freindly"

This job will have to meet the following conditions.

(1) Give you the freedom (or even perhaps the permission) to play online during your idle hours.
(2) Offer 401K and health benefits.
(3) Have little visibility to others.

Does anyone have this job?

lucas9000
03-09-2005, 12:40 PM
i'm sure a lot of it jobs fit this description. outside of that realm i'm curious as to what else might work. maybe working from home in some capacity...?

Paluka
03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I see you plan on putting your Cornell education to good use...

BIGRED
03-09-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure a lot of it jobs fit this description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me some examples. What jobs will an HR department allow you to play online poker? It would be nice to play with a permission, so that I'm not always looking over my shoulder.

lucas9000
03-09-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure a lot of it jobs fit this description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me some examples. What jobs will an HR department allow you to play online poker? It would be nice to play with a permission, so that I'm not always looking over my shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, a lot of it people don't have someone looking over their shoulder at the internet usage because they're the ones doing the looking /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i doubt an hr department in a company would openly tell you that it's ok for you to play online poker while you're "on the clock."

BIGRED
03-09-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see you plan on putting your Cornell education to good use...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch /images/graemlins/wink.gif
The degree served me well for the last 10 years and will continue to do so, even if I don't continue in my current career path. There are things you learn in college that you apply well beyond your job.

Bluffoon
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I am an accountant for a pension fund. My boss is very hands off. I get my job done and promptly take care of stuff she asks for and she pretends that she doesn't notice I am sometimes playing poker while I work.

rmarotti
03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Anything where you can work from home. I do editing from home and it meshes with my poker schedule nicely.

edit: this job *does* include benefits.

Alobar
03-09-2005, 03:08 PM
I thought I had the DREAM poker job lined up a while ago

3K a month +benefits to basically sit in an office 8 hours a day and your only responsibilty was to give the contact info of the boss on the rare occasion someone came by looking for him. He even provided a computer and internet access so "you dont get bored sitting there". I think it was a front for something illegal, but damn, who cares /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sadly, a rather attractive female with perky breasts got the job /images/graemlins/frown.gif man, not having tits is -EV

bvaughn
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Pharmaceutical sales. Home office with no boss around (I see him once a month at most), and as long as you make your 10 sales calls per day, it doesn't matter how long you work (as long as your sales numbers are good). I average about 25 hours a week with a nice salary + bonus + 401k + great benefits + company car. I can come home for lunch (like I am right now) and play poker, and when I get done with work at 3:00 pm today, I'll come home and start playing. Oh, and I usually get to sleep until 9:00 am every morning as well, so I can usually play until 12:00 - 1:00 am. It's the perfect job for me, and it works out very well for me to treat poker as my "second job".

IlliniRyRy
03-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I work at a proprietary trading firm, I only work about 20 hours a week and even then, there is a ton of downtime. A bunch of guys in our office play poker online, we used to play at work all the time until it got a little out of hand. Trading and poker are unbelievably similar, both entail making decisions based on probabilities and reacting to situations you've seen before. Look up "proprietary trading" in your hometown, if you live near a large city I'm sure there is something.

MicroBob
03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry to tell you this....but if you had breasts you still wouldn't have gotten the job.
You would have received a lot of strange looks though.

MadMat
03-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I work on an ISP helpdesk (in the UK) my boss is happy enough for me to play poker during quiet night and weekend shifts as long as I don't miss a call and keep the support email up to date at the same time.
I do however actually "play" from my home machine using a remote desktop, so no gambling goes through the company firewall, and no unauthorised software is installed on my work PC.

Mat

BIGRED
03-09-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I work at a proprietary trading firm, I only work about 20 hours a week and even then, there is a ton of downtime. A bunch of guys in our office play poker online, we used to play at work all the time until it got a little out of hand. Trading and poker are unbelievably similar, both entail making decisions based on probabilities and reacting to situations you've seen before. Look up "proprietary trading" in your hometown, if you live near a large city I'm sure there is something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...

BIGRED
03-09-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything where you can work from home. I do editing from home and it meshes with my poker schedule nicely.

edit: this job *does* include benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, anything that allows you to work from home would be ideal.

Alobar
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to tell you this....but if you had breasts you still wouldn't have gotten the job.
You would have received a lot of strange looks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

naw, a little make up and some heels and I'd be golden /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dov
03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Without reading the whole thread yet, you could become a poker dealer.

If you do it, though, don't do it unless they let you play there and keep your own tips.

That's about as poker friendly as I can think of.

BillW
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
President.

Sometimes people come into my office while I happen to be playing poker and then apologize for interrupting me.

Life is good.

Lucena
03-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Overnight Security guard perhaps?

AncientPC
03-10-2005, 05:08 AM
Network admin.

You sit around doing nothing until something breaks. As network admin you're privvy to installing and running any programs on any machine.

Plus you get paid decently.