PDA

View Full Version : 99 hand

Falcon900EX
03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Reads were UTG1 Fish MP2 no read and Button LA-P

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

River: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Tx

Somekid
03-09-2005, 11:48 AM
I think you need to lead the flop/turn/river. Definitely lead the turn. Checking and calling is too passive. Maybe a c/r on the flop would've been good actually since the pf raiser could be betting overcards.

Buckmulligan
03-09-2005, 11:54 AM
I would have bet the flop, but in hindsight, a check was the optimal play because it gave you the opportunity to check raise which would have limited the field and given you more value on your hand. But because you check/called instead of check/raised, I would say that you would be losing less if you just folded.
Bet the flop unless you have reads that point toward a check raise here!

Thigh
03-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I think you have to bet out here on the flop. You've got an overpair. Betting out here will get you more information, build the pot/and or get people to fold.

Same thing on the turn. There's still nothing scary going on here. You need to bet out. Again, put them on the defensive here. Except for the PFR, everyone's limped so far.

Funny enough, this guy probably just paired a K on the river. Then again, maybe he's trying to steal the pot. Either way, betting out here would have been better I think due to everyone's limps.

Falcon900EX
03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
My intentions was to the check raise the turn because of the bettor pot equite.
Otherwise i can see to checkraise the flop.
I was thinking of these both but decided for the check raise on the turn.
Unfortunate noone was betting.
What you guys think of the better pot equite on the turn while the 99 is vulnerable for overcards.
I think it is an example of SSHE.

Buckmulligan
03-09-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What you guys think of the better pot equite on the turn while the 99 is vulnerable for overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

A. The pot is too multiway.
B. There are players you can get to fold with a checkraise on the flop.
C. 99 is TOO vulnerable for the SSHE check call with the intention of raising the tun play to work.

These are all reasons for why that turn play isn't a good idea here.

Mister Z
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I C/R this flop, bet the turn - by the river you're hopefully not looking at 4 opponents and the button with his Kx has folded.

jrz1972
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
You need to show some aggression on the flop to find out where you are and thin the field. Either lead out or check-raise. Check-call is very bad.

Falcon900EX
03-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Ok i see the point. I think the check raise on the flop was the best solution.
Thats the move i normaly do but was curios about if the sshe play to raise the turn were better here.
I see it was not the best solution.
Tx all.

DMBFan23
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
again it's haiku time.

need to check raise flop
waiting for turn means if he
bets there, you're behind

kiddj
03-09-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
again it's haiku time.

need to check raise flop
waiting for turn means if he
bets there, you're behind

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an aside: I love the haiku poker advice! You should have your own column, or something. Maybe on a complicated hand I'll try a sonnet.

billy51
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I would probably lead the flop. For those advocating a check/raise on the flop, don't you need to consider where a bet is likely to come from? The general rule of thumb is that a bet is most likely to come from a PF raiser (obviously this depends on reads). In this case the PF raiser is on your left and check/raising a bet from MP1 is not going to protect your hand. I would lead the flop and see what happens. How I play the rest of the hand depends on the action.

dinero2433
03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Check-raise the flop, bet out on the turn, bet-call or check-call the river - How do other people feel about the best play when an overcard hits?

In general, I would suggest being WAY more aggressive with this overpair until an overcard hits - that flop was a great flop for you, and you check-called to the river. That is a very weak line to take when there is a good chance you hold the best hand.

dinero2433
03-09-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case the PF raiser is on your left and check/raising a bet from MP1 is not going to protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on one point - in this situation, a check-raise is not going to protect your hand all that well. But is a bet better? I don't think so, unless you KNOW MP1 is going to raise you and make it two bets to CO and button. If everyone flat calls on the flop, overcards will be getting great odds on their draw if they don't hit on the turn.

With a check-raise on the flop, you stand a great chance of folding UTG, with the added bonus of possibly folding CO and button with a 3-bet from MP1. The check-raise here is the better of two not-all-that-great choices.

billy51
03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right on one point - in this situation, a check-raise is not going to protect your hand all that well. But is a bet better? I don't think so, unless you KNOW MP1 is going to raise you and make it two bets to CO and button. If everyone flat calls on the flop, overcards will be getting great odds on their draw if they don't hit on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Overcards will be getting even better odds to call on the turn if you check/raise the flop because the flop will be bigger, right? at least as long if we expect a bet from our left. Of course, sometimes we might get lucky and get a bet from late position but also sometimes the check/raise will whiff.

[ QUOTE ]
With a check-raise on the flop, you stand a great chance of folding UTG, with the added bonus of possibly folding CO and button with a 3-bet from MP1. The check-raise here is the better of two not-all-that-great choices.

[/ QUOTE ]
What would MP1 3-bet here that he would not raise with if we lead the flop? I don't think that the chance of folding CO and the button to a 3-bet is a realistic reason to favor a check/raise.

That said, I am beginning to see the merits of a check/raise. I think folding the UTG is the main advantage of the check/raise. Also, we are probably ahead, and a check/raise will push our small edge.

ErrantNight
03-09-2005, 03:48 PM
ugh.

alright, so you're not raising preflop... that's ok. this is one of the few cold-calls situations i'm pretty fine with.

but if you're not leading this flop it's to c/r it.

regardless you're leading this turn, and you should likely at this point be leading any river.