PDA

View Full Version : Defending your blind with K8s?

chaz64
03-09-2005, 10:55 AM
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

With K9s or better I call here. I am second guessing myself with K8 however. Should I have called here?

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Too many outs not to bet, I think.

Turn: (10.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Still enough outs to bet, yes?

River: (13.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Comments appreciated.

Buckmulligan
03-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I really like the 3 bet on the flop. A lot of players would be tempted to call here but you recognized your equity lead and pushed it. I might check the turn. If you get raised here you lose a lot of value on the draw.

[ QUOTE ]
With K9s or better I call here. I am second guessing myself with K8 however. Should I have called here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a pretty easy call, as long as you don't have some extremely good read on the raiser. If UTG1 and UTG 2 are solid, however, I would be cautious with a top pair flop. You are getting 9:1 on this call as long as both UTGs call, so if you are comfortable playing the hand after the flop, go ahead and take one.

chaz64
03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I might check the turn. If you get raised here you lose a lot of value on the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right. But if I get two callers and PFR then raises (good chance he has an ace) I get more money in the pot. Also, if PFR has something like KK and no one has an ace it may get checked through if I check.

Buckmulligan
03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You may be right. But if I get two callers and PFR then raises (good chance he has an ace) I get more money in the pot. Also, if PFR has something like KK and no one has an ace it may get checked through if I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would probably be getting something like 8:1 if your bet is raised and both players call rather than 13:1. I think it is rarely smart to bet a draw out of position in an aggressive pot unless
1) there is a chance you can win the pot with the bet, which in this case there is now
2) you are almost as sure that your bet will not be raised as you are that you will win the pot.

Mister Z
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Great selection of a hand to post here - God I hate when this sort of hand happens!

I like the blinds defense here - the pot is multway so your equity is good. I like the 3-bet on the flop - way to push your edge. Given the action though, I think a check call on the turn is better - you're not going to knock 3 opponents out, the chance that you'll get raised is pretty good, and you're still on the draw. River - I'm guessing the Flop raiser also missed his flush draw and UTG+1 took down the pot with a measley pair of 7's or something.

Trix
03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Perfect

You may want to check the turn if you think they are likely to raise, but with your bet-3bet and bet on turn it probably wont happen that often and you have enough outs to not really care.

I dont think both will fold on the river near often enough to bet.

jskills
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
The flop bet is correct of course, but I'm not sure I 3-bet the flop.

The turn bet will not make them all go away, so you're betting in hopes you hit your straight on the river. So I might just check/call the turn and check/fold the river.

I could be wrong here - it wouldn't be the first time ...

chaz64
03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The turn bet will not make them all go away, so you're betting in hopes you hit your straight on the river. So I might just check/call the turn and check/fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

A diamond on the river would be nice also.

gvibes
03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
At first I didn't like the turn bet, but now I do. I didn't see the OESD at first, and our K outs may be good as well, so we have plenty of equity, even if only two call.

I sometimes won't 3-bet the flop, if I think UTG+1 and 2 could fold for two more.