PDA

View Full Version : My 5/10 session and Blind Play

QTip
03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
I played some 5/10 this morning at Absolute Poker and the session was an eye opener. Yesterday Goodguy talked about how important blind play was in moving past 2/4 and I saw how true that was this morning. I played for just over an hour and the majority of the session was all tricky blind stealing and defense.

Yesterday I saw some people talking about Tommy Angelo's approach and so forth. Can someone point me in a good direction to learn to play blind play better?

For example, 3 of the situations I had this morning were as follows:

1. Folded to me in the sb and I have ATo, I raise. BB calls.
Flop gives me nothing, I bet. BB Calls. Turn gives me nothing and the board is raggy. I check, he bets, I fold.

2. Folded to me in the sb and I have A3o, I raise. BB calls. Flop gives me nothing but is draw heavy with broadways. I check, BB bets, I fold.

3. I have A3o in the BB and it's folded to the sb who raises, I reraise, he caps, I call. (?). Rags on the flop, but nothing for me, and I suspect nothing for him. He bets, I raise, he calls. Turn is another mid card. He checks, I bet, he calls. The river is a 3, giving me bottom pair with no broadway on the board. He checks, I bet, he calls (thought I was done)...nope mhig, he had Big Slick.

Were these semi-standard. I'm just trying to go off of other blind plays I've seen in this forum to try to glean something here and there. I would appreciate if someone could recommend some reading material on blind play.

Thanks,

Owen

jason_t
03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday I saw some people talking about Tommy Angelo's approach and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me what this is or do you have a link?

I hope this develops into an interesting thread. I've been developing my blind play a lot lately too. It's the last thing I want to improve significantly before moving to 3/6.

jt1
03-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Hand1: I'm torn between betting the turn and check folding. My experience as of right now says that BB caught something on the flop, the vast majority of time here, and will call down with it.

Hand 2: You got to bet that flop

Hand 3: Not bad. You definitely had to call that pre flop cap. You might consider just calling the pfr and raising the flop.

easypete
03-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm not very good w/ blind play, but I'm getting better... Here's things that I've done to get better:

1. Tighten up a little. I got some not-so-good information on what hands to play out of the blinds a while back. I had a 275BB downswing at 5/10 6-max in January. Most of my losses came from the blinds. I had good numbers (not spectacular) out of every position except the SB and BB.

2. I added Fold to raise in SB and BB in my note exports and to playerview. I use this information to help determine if I can even attempt to steal blinds (from LP or from SB).

3. I split out the aggression factors for all streets in note exports and playerview. This gives me information on players and how they may defend their blinds. The big thing I look for is the low flop aggro and the high turn aggro. A-hi goes up in value vs these players.

4. I increased my aggression on the flop. I too often folded the turn to a flop raise or c/r.

My next step, is to learn how to flop better... my pattern mapper seems to be off... maybe old version???

QTip
03-09-2005, 10:07 AM
good post.

pattern mapper? Don't know what that is.

QTip
03-09-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: You got to bet that flop

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one part that confuses me about blind stealing. It just seems unnatural to check the flop...it's almost like you have to autobet.

However, this flop seemed like it would hit just about anything that called a PFR.

It was something like KsJs9d, and I had Ad3h. It seemed like he could call with a lot of stuff and then I would just end up c/fing on the turn.

QTip
03-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Jason:

Here's one post that was from goodguy that I really liked

Moving up from 2/4 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1882732&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Then, here's another one where some posters starting talking about blind play.

Tommy Angelo Approach Post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1887484&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1)

I PM'd SinCityGuy this morning to see if he could recommend some reading on learning this approach.

jt1
03-09-2005, 10:15 AM
True, that is one flop you don't want to see, but the only alternative is to wrap that pot up in a bow and give it to him. --I'm not saying that giving up on the pot is bad with a flop like that. You are either behind, or he has odds to call with anything that a reasonable player would call pre-flopwith. But I agree with you, it's not natural to not bet the flop after stealing.

QTip
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I want to bump this because I've seen quite a few blind play posts here in the last day or two.

Does anyone have a good book recommendation with a solid section on this topic?

Thanks.

ErrantNight
03-09-2005, 01:16 PM
isn't it possible he could also see that as a scary board, and fold an awful lot?

hand 2 is a MUCH better place to bet the flop, check/fold the turn unimproved than hand 1.

interestingly you played hand 3 the most aggressively of these with a relatively poor hand against the only of these opponents that showed much strength... was this because you had position, or because you were getting tired of being bullied around or something?

nice catch on the river, though.

QTip
03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the comments...

So, they more scary the board, the more reason to bet the steal?...seems counter-intuitive.

Yes....hand 3 got personal.