PDA

View Full Version : I played this hand funny...

the_rookie
03-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

What about the flop? Any reason to pump up this heavy drawing board? I don't have a spade and I'm drawing thin to a straight and a set. Or should I just be raising for value?

Turn: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (13 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 15 BB

My explanation for the river bet: I didn't want to get checkraised here. I'm more comfortable leading the river and folding to a raise. I just didn't like how everyone was mildy calling the flop and the turn.

*EDIT* I'm actually going to fold to a checkraise anyways so my explanation makes no sense. I was just getting kinda fancy I guess.

I'm thinking check/calling is better now. leading the river probably scared some potential callers away.

Isura
03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
3-bet the flop. You probably still have the best hand, and have outs against to make a bigger two pair or set if someone has 2 pair. A raise will bring along BB for the ride (a nice overlay for you if MP3 is ahead), and also force MP1 to call 2 more cold. A flush or OESD will still not fold, but so what? Your bet is for value then. Lead out the turn if MP3 doesn't cap the flop. River is probably your best play of the whole hand. Seems like a case of playing too passively with a strong (but vulnerable) hand in a large multiway pot.

Isura
03-09-2005, 02:01 AM
I missed that you also have Q outs for the 1 card straight. Even more reason to raise the flop.

the_rookie
03-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah I'm trying to get over playing overpairs passively on coordinated boards. I know that good draws won't fold, so you think it'd better to pump it anyways? Flush draws would have equity to call any bet and raise and it'd be a profitable call.

I'm thinking the only place I could really make these draws pay a little more, is on the turn with a check-raise, but I chickened out. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

reubenf
03-09-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that good draws won't fold, so you think it'd better to pump it anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds better than winning the minimum from them when they miss.

Isura
03-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Check raise is dangerous on the turn. You don't want to risk giving a free card with a large pot.
Betting against the draws wins more money when they miss their draws. You will not only win the bets that they must call to see the river, but sometimes you'll win additional bets from someone making a crying call on the river since the pot is so big. If you play passively and the draws miss, you get no more bets from them.

SteveL91
03-09-2005, 04:49 AM
I don't really have all that much to add. I just wanted to echo the sentiment about not c/r'ing the turn, especially since it's possible that the turn 7 just gave someone (perhaps MP3) his straight.

On the other hand, I suspect the awkward way you played this may have saved you a few bets if you did lose. You played this hand like you were on a flush draw, and if MP3 did make his straight, your river play may have convinced him you just made your flush over his (I'm guessing here) straight.