PDA

View Full Version : Best Wrestlemania Matches In History

Jeffage
03-09-2005, 01:05 AM
In honor of IndieMatty's thread, I offer...the best matches in Wrestlemania history (bouts may be chosen for pure action or drama).

1) Michaels vs Ramon-Ladder Match (Wrestemania 10); Great action, great spots...totally original. Michaels sweepkicking the ladder into Razor's gut is a highlight. Great stuff.

2) Hogan vs Warrior (WM 6). Great action and greater drama. End of an error as Hogan takes one of his few clean defeats (though slightly marred by the ref bump when hogan would have won so he could save face).

3) Hitman vs Austin-I Quit Match (WM 13, I think). Classic bloodbath...great fight, great drama.

4) Savage vs Steamboat (WM 3). Great athleticism and non-stop, suspenseful near falls.

Honorable Mention: Hogan vs Andre (3), Hogan vs. Savage (5)

Discuss. I've been away for awhile but was a huge fan growing up and through college...I own the WM bible set and still pop them in from time to time. Great time going to matches with my father and friends growing up.

quadzilla
03-09-2005, 01:06 AM
The match where King Kong Bundy squashed the midget.

Dynasty
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Michaels vs Ramon-Ladder Match (Wrestemania 10); Great action, great spots...totally original. Michaels sweepkicking the ladder into Razor's gut is a highlight. Great stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This match created a radical change in wrestling. It easy revolutionary, especially for the WWF. It's an easy #1 choice for me.

Jurollo
03-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Hogan/Warrior and it isn't even close. They were THE wrestlers of their time and are still 2 of the top 5 influential wrestlers of all time, along with the Taker, Michaels, and maybe Sting.
~Justin

Tyler Durden
03-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Jeff, your first two OOT threads have been lacking. BTW, wrestling sucks.

Popinjay
03-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey you guys do know that wrestling is fake right?

Tyler Durden
03-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Yea really. They might as well discuss the daytime soaps.

[censored]
03-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Bret Hart vs. Sean Michaels Iron Man match is easily my all time favorite match. I have it down loaded and still watch it several times a year. It also fueled one of the greatest feuds ever in wrestling history.

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart I quit match is also right up there.

Reef
03-09-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't burst our bubbles.. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Jeffage
03-09-2005, 01:19 AM
DAMN. I forgot about the Iron Man match. That is an all time classic...suspense all the way, though the Gorilla Monsoon Intervention was a bit cheesy. I know a draw would have pissed everyone off, but the hour elapsed...and that's it. BUT JEEZ WHAT A MATCHUP.

Another one often overlooked is Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper of WM 8. GREAT fight with Piper playing the semi-heel. Bret's accidental juicing (on a botched bulldog) heightened the drama.

Jeff

Reef
[ QUOTE ]
Hogan/Warrior and it isn't even close. They were THE wrestlers of their time and are still 2 of the top 5 influential wrestlers of all time, along with the Taker, Michaels, and maybe Sting.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't agree more

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do also point out to West Wing fans that Jed Barlett really isn't The President?

[censored]
03-09-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

A dude named Ric Flair mean anything to you?

Soul Daddy
03-09-2005, 01:26 AM
I found the Ironman match extremely boring. 50 minutes of rest holds.

Hart vs Austin or TLC II are what I'd consider the best. Hogan vs Rock is my favorite, due solely to the crowd. I've heard last year's Main was incredible, though I've never seen it.

Jeffage
03-09-2005, 01:26 AM
I have this classic video-"Starcade-Best of 1983-87." It opens with a wonderful 1983 cage match between the nature boy and Harley Race. What a sick bloodbath where Flair's entire face is obscured in a bloody mess. This tape also includes a Roddy Piper/Greg Valentine Dog Collar Match, a scaffold match btwn the Road Warriors and Midnight Express and much more. God, I gotta find that tape.

Flair vs. Rick Steamboat...1989 Great American Bash. In terms of pure wrestling, this may be one of the greatest matches of all time. So goddamn good. Stinging chops...marvelously paced and thrilling. Find this tape (I have it).

Flair is truly one of wrestling's greats.

Jeff

[censored]
03-09-2005, 01:31 AM
80's NWA was along with ECW wrestling at it's best. I used to love watching it satudays as a kid.

Jake (The Snake)
03-09-2005, 01:34 AM
I think, but I'm not sure, that this match was #1 on the special program on this very subject a few years ago.

cab4656
03-09-2005, 02:06 AM
It's probably not the greatest match of all time or even in the top five, but I'll throw out Hogan vs. Rock, 2002(?) in Toronto. I was there. It was the greatest pro wrestling experience of my life. A few months ago, Hogan had made his return to WWE after a very long stay in WCW. He came back as a heel and leader of the NWO, but he did not fight very often. This could have been one of his first singles matches back in the WWE.

Anyways, despite being a heel, fans were totally ready for a Hogan face turn. Throughout the match, the crowd pretty much split in who it was rooting for. Chants of "Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!" and "Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!" tried to drown each other out. Hogan's big boot and leg drop brought uproars from the crowd. Alas, The Rock kicked out and went on to win the match. The two shook hands in a show of mutual respect. When Kevin Nash and Scott Hall (the other NWO members) came down to the ring to attack their fallen leader, The Rock returned and together they fought off Nash and Hall. It was the return of Hulkamania. Since I was very young when Hulkamania originally ran wild, I loved every minute of this. I thought this was a classic match.

The crowd was so tired after that match that they could hardly cheer for the main event, where Triple H defeated Chris Jericho to win the championship. I don't even remember much about that match.

A_C_Slater
03-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Wrestlemania 7.

Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter.

I will never forgive that traitor for turning his back on America and siding with Col. Mustafa and the Iraqi's!

USA!! USA!! USA!!

astroglide
03-09-2005, 02:57 AM
what happened to the ultimate warrior?

[censored]
03-09-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what happened to the ultimate warrior?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude is legitimately wacked. He would pull disappearing acts when he was really hot. The WWF finally had enough.

http://www.ultimatewarrior.com/

astroglide
03-09-2005, 03:15 AM
wow, that guy is awesomely [censored]! i'm really glad i asked that question.

SinCityGuy
03-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Wrestlemania XXIV, 1998

HBK vs. SCSA.

Even more notable because Michaels competed in great pain with a herniated disk, but he did his duty and jobbed to Austin.

Clarkmeister
03-09-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4) Savage vs Steamboat (WM 3). Great athleticism and non-stop, suspenseful near falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
03-09-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too predictable to be the best.

riffraff
03-09-2005, 05:59 AM
Hogan vs Andre the Giant.
All I can remember is that Hogan picked the Giant up (for a Suplex or Pile Driver) and nobody had ever done that before.

Dynasty
03-09-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All I can remember is that Hogan picked the Giant up (for a Suplex or Pile Driver) and nobody had ever done that before.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a body slam. And, it had been done many times before. However, the WWF did a great job of promoting it as never happening (as well as Andre being undefeated).

Reef
03-09-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a body slam. And, it had been done many times before. However, the WWF did a great job of promoting it as never happening (as well as Andre being undefeated).

[/ QUOTE ]

it was so awesome how Andre used to crush the 3 man handicap matches he was in

B00T
03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
TLC II was sick.

IndieMatty
03-09-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This match created a radical change in wrestling. It easy revolutionary, especially for the WWF. It's an easy #1 choice for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct choice.

IndieMatty
03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea really. They might as well discuss the daytime soaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Deadwood Season II, or The Big Lebowski, or favorite Simpsons Quotes.

This is exactly the same as discussing anything that is on Television.

No looking down at Wrestling in OOT!

Jurollo
03-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I think there should be a caviat put on this that the match can't have been AFTER 1995 or so. That is when wrestling turned from awesome spectacle, into craptacular soap opera with someone interfering in every match. What year was the Iron Man Match? We'll set that as the cutoff or make it a special exemption. To the Ric Flair lovers... a) he was in WCW (sucked besides Sting) and b) he was completely unathletic and did NOTHING special but slap people and say "WOOOO", he wasn't even big. Seeing him and Hogan still run around with their breasts flopping around today is borderline sad.
~Justin

riffraff
03-09-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it seemed pretty remarkable when I saw it.. then again I was 14 or so.

youtalkfunny
03-10-2005, 04:28 AM
KK Bundy vs SD Jones

"Here is the time....NINE SECONDS...."

(Sorry, but I never saw any of those WrestleMania sequels with the Roman numerals.)

Simon Diamond
03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard last year's Main was incredible, though I've never seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last years main event was amazing, the finishing sequence was one of the most amazing pieces of drama I have ever seen. People always ask me why I watch pro-wrestling when they see some of the stupid stuff that happens in it - moments like Benoit's win at MSG are the reason I do. Sent a shiver down my spine for sure.