PDA

View Full Version : Leaks of mine, no example hands, no stats

JKDStudent
03-09-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm analyzing my leaks, and after a downswing the other night, I've realized what a few are. However, I'm not really sure how to go about fixing them. Anyways, here we go.

Leak #1: Second-best hands. I often get stuck between not giving people enough credit and giving them too much. After going over hands in PT, I'm working on this one on my own. This leak is mentioned here just for the sake of completeness.

Leak #2: Flop play after raising from EP. Hypothetical hand. I have AKo, flop comes Jack high (coordinated nature doesn't really affect my play here, sadly). I raised in EP or am otherwise first to act against 2-4 opponents. Typically, I'm betting out. My reasoning is partly that I may still have the best hand, but mostly because I fear that having raised pre-flop, if I check now, I'm going to get bet at. Not because they have anything, but because they sense weakness. So I'm betting, even though my small bet isn't as likely to chase people out, only because I don't want others trying to take control of the betting. Then the turn comes, no help to me but doesn't connect to anything on the flop, and I still bet out, still not wanting to show weakness. Notice a pattern here? What do I do to stop this? Check-call? Well, obviously. But what about when I end up on the receiving end of aggression?

Leak #3: Preflop. Typical example - I'm MP1 with AJo. Folds, I open with a raise. MP2 or MP3 raises. It doesn't matter what hand I raise with, if I raised, I ALWAYS call the 3-bet. If I 3-bet it, I always call the cap. If I just limped, I always call the raise. If it's only one more bet to me, I always call once I'm already in the pot. I feel like I'm losing money here that I don't need to because of my horrible, "Well, it's only one more to see the flop," logic. Also, fearing that if people see me raising and then folding to a re-raise, they'll take advantage of that. Not very likely playing the low limits, but that's still my thought process.

Comments? Questions? Thanks.

witeknite
03-09-2005, 04:10 AM
First and foremost, read Small Stakes Hold'Em by Ed Miller. He directly covers #2 and #3. I'll try to sum up for you though. Working in reverse order:

#3 The only times I've ever raised/3-bet PF and folded to one more back to me is a misclick. Even then, if it's HU or 3-handed I'd usually call. If it's worth a raise the first time, it can't be too incorrect to call one more.

#2 How coordinated the flop is should be the main thing affecting your play. If you only have AK and there is a flush draw and/or str8 draw on the board, it's okay to check/fold after raising PF. I doubt anyone would notice anyway. If on the other hand you have AK and the flop gives you a flush draw, str8 draw, or even a back-door flush draw, you are in much better shape. Not only could you catch an A or K for TPTK, but there is the small added chance of one of your other draws coming in.

#1 If I could answer this, I would be a much better player.

WiteKnite