PDA

View Full Version : Home Tourney - 1 rebuy

housenuts
03-08-2005, 11:32 PM
x-posted from Home Poker

i'm going in a home tourney in a few weeks that is going to offer 1 rebuy (when you are out of chips, you can't rebuy when you still have chips left). there will probably be 60-80 people there, and i assume it will be 50% fish, 40% competent, and 10% solid players. those numbers are by no means accurate but a rough estimate. if they are off i would bet there is more better players and less fish, but i don't know.

anyways here's my question. how does strategy change when you are only allowed one rebuy compared to unlimited? the rebuy period lasts for the first 2 hours. at the end of 2 hours the blinds are 40/80. 1,000 starting chips.

here is the payout schedule assuming 70 players.

Place Prize Percentage
1 $1,000 28.57%
2 $750 21.43%
3 $600 17.14%
4 $400 11.43%
5 $300 8.57%
6 $200 5.71%
7 $150 4.29%
8 $100 2.86%

it is roughly the same for 60 or 80. the only caveat is ALL rebuy money goes to 1st prize. this is something i've tried to dispute but it's not going to change. this often results in deal-making because there's such a huge difference between 1st and 2nd.

so how to proceed? i think i'm gonna start off by firing at most pots. pushing small edges like any rebuy tourney. is this smart considering there's only one rebuy? by the way it's $50 buy-in. i wouldn't complain having to buy-in twice, but i'd rather not. really any suggestions on this type of format would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

housenuts
03-09-2005, 01:33 PM
no love? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ThrillFactor
03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Personally, I'd be looking to double from the get-go with any pp 8s or better or AQs+.

If I doubled very early, I'd be looking to double again before the end of the first hour.

If I reach the beginning of the second hour with 2x starting chips or greater, I slow down and play my normal game. Likewise at any point that I have to use my rebuy.

Avgard
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
They have a tournament once a month in my area that is very similar.

Like most tournaments, you should not force the issue. You may go 1 hour treading water and then triple up in ten mintues. Just don't force it.

The main problem in these tournaments are the bad players. If you have bad players in a hand with you, don't bluff. I repeat, DON'T BLUFF the bad players. The easiest way to get chips is have a strong hand and bet it strong. The weak players will call you with some pretty bad hands. I have seen 1/2 a player's stack go in to see if his ace high is good. That is the main reason you don't bluff the bad players.

My approach on the rebuy is that it allows me to overcall a hand that I am drawing to the nuts. It is a gamble to gather chips, with a net to catch me if I miss.

The rebuy lets you stay involved in a huge pot or call a huge bet from a player you read as bluffing. I think it is a mistake to think the rebuy lets you get involved in every hand because you can get more chips once you run out.

I rambled a bit, but hope it helps.