PDA

View Full Version : Raise or call 5'th?

lstream
03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
I decided to just call on fifth here to increase the chances of keeping all 4 players around, and not forcing seats 3 and 7 to fold on fifth. I had not been at the table for too long, but I had noticed that seat 8 would play with pretty weak hands. Are you guys OK with the call, or would you have raised?

7 Card Stud High (1/2), ante 0.25.

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif__calls__folds
Hero: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif__calls__calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__raises__calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif__folds
Seat 6: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif__folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif__bets__raises
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif__calls__calls

4th Street

Hero: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif__calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif__bets
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif__calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif__calls

5th Street

Hero: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif__calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif__calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif__bets

6th Street

Hero: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif__bets
Seat 3: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif__calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif__calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__checks__calls

River

Hero: 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif__bets
Seat 3: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx__folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif xx__folds
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx__checks__calls

beta1607
03-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I like calling on 5th because everyone except for the original bettor has a pretty weak looking board and so by smooth calling you trap them for an extra bet now when they probably would not have cold called two bets.

grb137
03-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Raise. You want to make them pay maximum price to draw out to a boat or a higher flush.

Andy B
03-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Your hand is probably worth a raise on fourth. This is $1/2 on Party? Do you really need to "keep people in"? Seems to me that they're going to call on fifth whether you raise or not. Might as well raise. At least you bet sixth and seventh.

This post brought to you by Guinness.

lstream
03-09-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is $1/2 on Party? Do you really need to "keep people in"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have found tables quite often at this level where people regularly fold to a moderately scary board. Even more so when they are facing two big bets.

PoorLawyer
03-09-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have found tables quite often at this level where people regularly fold to a moderately scary board. Even more so when they are facing two big bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the poster who said to raise to make them pay to draw. the 2 middle seats look like they could be drawing to a flush that could be higher than yours in addition to making the guy who paired his door pay to play.

timmer
03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the poster who said to raise to make them pay to draw. the 2 middle seats look like they could be drawing to a flush that could be higher than yours in addition to making the guy who paired his door pay to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the raise on 5th as you can represent a straight (draw ) as well and still get action from the flush (?) draws or table sheriffs. I just love making table sheriffs pay off my pat hands on multiple streets.

that being said I think going for the overcalls on 5th is an OK play too. However I might have then check raised 6th. if it got checked around on 6th I might have been able to put in the second bet with my flush on 7th. to try this gambit you need to be fairly sure some one will bet on 6th and you would like to be a bit stronger than Q high on 7th. Obviously this is a funky derivation of your standard play