PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on playing two overs.

rockythecat99
03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Pacific 30+3 , blinds are 15/30, Hero has 2230 in chips
folded to hero who has AQ in mp1 raises 110. Folded over to villain who calls on the button with 990 in chips.Pot is 265.

Flop comes 8, 6c,5c. Check, check . turn comes Jh.
Hero bets 160, villain calls. Pot is 585.
river comes 2d. Hero checks villain bets 285. Hero folds.

I know I played this like crap and then some. How should I play overs that missed. I usually make a continuation bet but this time I didn't because I wanted to check raise on the flop because the previous hand I had AKraise caller then same villain reraises. both me and caller call and flop came QJ9 villain goes all in wins the pot. So I wanted him to see weakness in my hand then reraise him but he checked it down this time. Please help this newb.

rockythecat99
03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
come on guys really need help with hands like these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JackOfSpeed
03-09-2005, 10:56 AM
This is why AQ sucks a nut out of position. I'd check the flop - you missed it completely, and a pair of 2s is ahead of you. He might even call with something like A10 on that flop, but you'd have no way of knowing that, and I think betting the turn after the flop call would be a terrible mistake. Check the flop and if he bets, decide if you're ahead or not.

suited_ace
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
The problem here is that you have 2 clubs on the flop, so not only you don't do your continuation bet, you don't do it on a (possibly) dangerous board. With just 2 overs you have to have a very good read on your opponent to go for a CR.

Elaboration
03-09-2005, 12:36 PM
rocky,

I still make a continuation bet. Take it down there, or check the turn unimproved. The checkraise plan seems a little off. This early in a Pacific tourney I'm not sure you fold a better hand and you're in no mans land on the turn if he just flat calls. After checking the flop, betting the turn seems pretty useless.
What range of hands to you put your enemy on? Perhaps he has a set and is trapping, he caught a J or missed his draw. If you had a clearly defined notion about how he would play each of these, then you might be able to squeeze out a call on the end if you thought it was a high probability of the later. Absent that, check fold the river.

Regards,
E