PDA

View Full Version : Mandalay Bay 10-20 game dies

Dynasty
09-24-2002, 02:25 AM
I had time to chat with Pokerbabe today. It appears the Mandalay Bay 10-20 game which was started optimistically by several Mirage regulars a couple weeks ago has died out. Mandalay Bay simply didn't get enough people into the room to get the game started regularly and then there weren't enough non-regulars joining the game in order to keep it going later in the afternoon.

I've mostly been ar the Mirage and have definately noticed that the 10-20 game there has been resuscitated in the past week to week and a half. For a while, it was hard to get a 10-20 game running. Today, there were two full games on a Monday afternoon.

MichaelD
09-24-2002, 07:01 AM
Dynasty,

Does the Mirage still get a 20-40 holdem game going?

Also, what is the rake for the 30-60 and 60-120 or 80-160 game at the Bellagio now?

Thanks in advance,

Michael D.

Dynasty
09-24-2002, 02:17 PM
The Mirage always has a 20-40 game running and often has two games even on weekday afternoons.

All those Bellagio games have time charges. I believe the 30-60 game was increased to $6/half hour a couple weeks ago when the rakes went up at the Bellagio. I don't know what the charge is for the bigger games.

MichaelD
09-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Dynasty,

Thanks for the info.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.

mikelow
09-24-2002, 11:47 PM
Four bucks lives! See, that's the problem with Vegas poker, a captive market. Oh, well.

HDPM
09-25-2002, 12:01 AM
Kind of scary a 10-20 can't be supported at a decent place in a big city that has lots of tourists. Bad sign IMO. 10-20 isn't a huge limit or anything.

Dynasty
09-25-2002, 12:04 AM
Since Mandalay Bay has never made any effort to advertise their bigger games (they had 10-20 several months ago and it failed), most players simply don't know it's there.

MichaelD
09-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Dynasty,

I think if a nice place like Mandalay Bay would offer 10-20 and maybe 20-40, along with a decent room rate, it may attract some out of town players on a fairly consistent basis.

Obviously I do not know for sure, or even if they did draw players if it would be enough to support a game consistently, but I do know the room rate at Bellagio is very high for someone who plays only 10-20 holdem. Last time I was there it was 129/199. I almost always stay where I plan on playing for convenience sake. But there have been a number of times in the past 2 years where I just refuse to pay this kind of money to stay in Vegas. I for one would stay at Mandalay Bay for 69 or something in that range and give them the 6 hours of play most places require. I also play higher when I travel so I would not play there exclusively, but I am guessing they would attract a fair amount of interest with a rate such as this.

Do you think something like this would help their room, or if they would even be interested in it? I do not know anyone at Mandalay Bay and while I know where the room is, I have never played in it. It was all low limit when I checked it out.

Oh well, until someone does something, I guess I will just keep going to Commerce, Bellagio, and Mirage.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.