PDA

View Full Version : Quads vs Quads I would have folded mine. What do you think?

Silent Assassin
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I was at a weekly monday night 1/3 NL game. Mid way thru the night a bad beat jackpot hand occurred. UTG+3 raised to $30, fold, fold, fold, fold, call, I fold, everybody else folded. The guy beside me that calls shows me JJ. I will refer to the two guys as RAISER and JJ. The flop comes QJJ. RAISER leads out and bets $50. JJ smooth calls the bet. Then a Q comes on the turn. So we know have QJJQ on the board. RAISER checks and JJ follows with a check. A blank comes out on the river. RAISER leads out and bets $200. JJ goes all in for $180 more and RAISER calls. JJ shows his quad J's and RAISER shows QQ he had quad Q's.

At that game when somebody raises $30 preflop it means they have AA, KK, QQ, or JJ. So I put RAISER on QQ, KK, or AA knowing the guy beside me had JJ. Both JJ and RAISER are pretty good players. I would have thought I was good until the first to act $200 river bet. There is no way he could have led out and bet $200 with AA or KK with QJJQX on the board after being called for his $30 preflop raise and $50 flop bet. That would just be a suicide bet so that leaves you with one hand left to put him on which is QQ. I wanted to tell JJ to fold to his $200 bet. WOULD YOU HAVE FOLDED?

Burno
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Wrong forum.

Folding would be retarded.

The_Bends
03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
I think he'd make a similar play with any Q or even AA so you have to call.

nsj
03-08-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At that game when somebody raises $30 preflop it means they have AA, KK, QQ, or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, folding quad jacks is asinine at any time.

Second of all, OP, you said it was a bad beat jackpot hand. I don't care if Raiser has shown me his hole cards, I'm at the very least calling the $200 on a BBJ table.

Thirdly, folding quad jacks is asinine at any time.

By the way the hand was played, I can just as easily (as JJ) put Raiser on AA, or bluffing with AK, because he's read me to have the same holding and he's trying to push me off of it.

(I smooth-called a flop underbet and checked behind on the turn for a free river card. He made a continuation bet on the flop and then checked looking for a free river card as well.)

pologuy64
03-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the fourm James~!

derek2455
03-09-2005, 11:18 AM
hey silent. What is your name? I was at that game. My name is Derek. I was the one in the Texas hat.

carini04
03-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Maybe if you were in a tournament you could be right on with your fold, which is a remarkable move to me, but in a cash game it really don't get much better than quads, beacuse in my mind I will always put that player on a boat if the board read what you said.

Prevaricator
03-09-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, folding quad jacks is asinine at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the board read AAAJJ, and the guy moves in on the river? Its not that simple.

However I don't see folding JJ here as an option, but not going crazy on the river might be wise.

jdaddy
03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Folding quad anything is incorrect. The probability of quad q's appearing while holding quad j's is so trivial that the it must be ignored. I would think the probability of getting struck by lightning would be greater. What a great hand to have witnessed . . .

niwotyalpi
03-09-2005, 02:49 PM
This post is dumb. If you would have folded quad jacks here in this spot with these stacks, well then you sir are a complete moron. Also, you said it was a bad beat jackpot hand. Why the hell would anyone want to fold JJ for any reason on this board in a game that has a bad beat jackpot.

willie
03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
this makes no sense at all...

never ever fold quad anything.

secondly- the bad beat jackpot made it worthwhile.

pologuy64
03-09-2005, 03:06 PM
hey derek2455, u play at loveland too? if so u sent me home packing wit trip 10s to my two pair....next time i have to bust u to get my money back LOL!

Loci
03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if the board read AAAJJ, and the guy moves in on the river? Its not that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I assume you mean that there is no bad beat jackpot involved, second, if I was villain, I would often bet the board if I thought my opponent had a J in this scenario. If you don't read him for an ace, you'll split the pot on the chop anyways.

Richie Rich
03-09-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to tell JJ to fold to his $200 bet. WOULD YOU HAVE FOLDED?

[/ QUOTE ]
NO. The reason why Bad Beat Jackpots take relatively long to build up, and pay off very handsome sums, is because the odds of any qualifying hand beating another qualifying hand is nearly "astronomical". Probably once-in-a-lifetime. So unless your opponent actually revealed his hand before the money went into the middle, "how could you fold?"

Grvnhigh
03-09-2005, 09:21 PM
I was the raiser in this hand, and I wanted to note a couple of things-

There was an original utg or utg+1 raiser that made it about 13-14 to go initially. I would never open a pot for 10xBB without a significant amount of money in the pot already. The first raiser folded either preflop or on the flop.

Both players in the the hand had 400-450 to start, so these aren't exactly shallow stacks (nor really deep) involved. Max buyin at this game is 200.

This was a "friendly" game, and there was no bad beat jackpot.

I don't think that I played this hand optimally postflop, but I'm not sure what line is best here.

derek2455
03-10-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey derek2455, u play at loveland too? if so u sent me home packing wit trip 10s to my two pair....next time i have to bust u to get my money back LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that you Kobe?

ObnxNole
03-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Who has ever folded quads? Don't ever post again.

mosch
03-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Thank you sir, for redefining awful.

Here are the options:
1) your quad jacks are good, and you win a big pot. this is the most common scenario.
2) your quad jacks lose, and you win a big badbeat jackpot. this will happen less often, but is probably more profitable.
3) you fold, and lose money.

wray
03-10-2005, 05:42 PM
When I first asked what was the biggest difference between NL cash games and tourneys everyone said people play a little looser in cash games because you can always reload if you wanted to......So I say that's what this is for... I'm going to call, go broke and reload.