PDA

View Full Version : top pair, no kicker in the SB ... standard hand?

cold_cash
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
This one might be pretty boring.

MP2 seemed like a solid/aggressive player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>..

I think this is pretty standard, but what do you guys do if the river card doesn't take my kicker out of play? Still bet?

Gracias.

Argus
03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is pretty standard, but what do you guys do if the river card doesn't take my kicker out of play? Still bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I check/call. Give MP2 the opportunity to bluff a busted draw or MP.

Harv72b
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Given your read on MP2 and the way he played this hand, I would say that he's far more likely to have a J and/or draw than the K. So in that regard, and considering your kicker, I'd prefer a check/call line on the river (especially if the board doesn't pair).

Then again, I probably play TPNK far too weakly most of the time.

FrankieFish
03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I check/call. Give MP2 the opportunity to bluff a busted draw or MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take the same line as cold cash to make the villain fold a stronger king.

applej25
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is pretty standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]
but what do you guys do if the river card doesn't take my kicker out of play? Still bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah I go ahead and check. Don't want to be raised by some fluke two pair not to mention you might have been betting 2nd best the whole way. Plus as others have said, maybe he'll bluff at it.

Argus
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would take the same line as cold cash to make the villain fold a stronger king.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't happen.

applej25
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure that ain't happenin bud.

Redeye
03-08-2005, 09:28 PM
I bet the river if villian was loose passive, I would check call an aggressive player.

FrankieFish
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Wow two responses to my line saying the same thing. You're telling me that if you pair say pocket K9 you swim with it 'til the river?

Cuz I might bet the K9 on the flop but I'd get a little scared facing the flop raise and then shake a little in my boots on a turn bet.

applej25
03-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Well if your folding top pair to a river bet here you need to re-evauluate your game.

And not to offend you, but if you are really shaking in your boots when people raise or bet you may be a little weak-tight.

FrankieFish
03-08-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if your folding top pair to a river bet here you need to re-evauluate your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying that. Would I need to re-evaluate my game if I folded top pair to the turn bet?

FrankieFish
03-08-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And not to offend you, but if you are really shaking in your boots when people raise or bet you may be a little weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't anyone have an appreciation for metaphor these days?

I never said that I shake in my boots whenever someone bets or raises.

Another way of saying it might be "I don't like to shovel my chips into a pot with a marginal hand." That's better?

applej25
03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Well you said you could get someone off a better King by betting the river. if you won't fold it either, how do you expect villain to?

And yes folding this turn with top pair is a mistake.

applej25
03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
its not like you are relentlessly raising, you are just calling one bet. I wouldnt call that shoveling chips. Point is, you are best more than enough to call down here absent any reads.

tetonpete
03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
[/ QUOTE ]I would take the same line as cold cash to make the villain fold a stronger king.

[/ QUOTE ]
you have no fold equity here. if i'm worried about 2 pair and still call the turn, i'm a lot less worried about two pair after the turn when your K5 may have been counterfeited.
check and call a bluff or a jack that put you on a draw.