PDA

View Full Version : 2 big decisions, one fold, one call

Elem100
03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB has been a very solid player as far as I can tell in hands to date. My table image here is also solid player, through some good fortune I have never shown down a losing hand.
Hero is BB

Button (t1750)
SB (t2950)
Hero (t2750)
UTG (t1800)
CO (t750)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks

Flop: (t300) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

SB bets 150, Hero raises to 750, Button folds, SB raises to 2850 and is all in, Hero folds

------

(Different table)

CO is loose and aggressive but not crazy

Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

Hero is BB

Button (t2100)
SB (t2975)
Hero (t850)
UTG (t1825)
CO (t2250)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks

Flop: (t250) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero bets 150, CO calls

Turn: (t550) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, CO checks

River: (t550) A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, CO bets 800, Hero calls 600 and is all-in

------

Each last move of Hero I took the full time thinking about.

Ideas?

[Edit: this is at 30+3 level on UB]

bweiser8311962
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
i think you got them backwards. i am very confident with my set of 6s in the first hand that you are up against an overpair. ... on the 2nd hand, you are up against a queen, an ace or a straight.

Elem100
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, on one of the hands I made the 'wrong' move, on the other I made the 'right move'. But I'm not gonna say yet which way round it was, because at the moment I still believe I did the right things.

citanul
03-08-2005, 08:27 PM
While not as sure about which hands you're going to get shown in each case, I too believe you got these plays backwards.
General rule time:

If you flop three of a kind from the blinds, on a junky board, feel free to go broke when someone has you beat. This rule applies at almost all buyin levels.

I mean come on, there's only 1 other 6 in the deck, and there's like, a gillion hands that various opponents would play in the way villain did in hand 1. Only a few of them contain a 6. With slightly different circumstances, I'd probably just call the flop bet, and then get all in on most turns, trying to allow the 3rd player to put in chips, or even better, think his overpair is good sometimes when he has one, and triple up on the hand.

In hand 2, if you know the co to limp light, you can push preflop. But the call at the end is pretty terrible. I think the best you can usually find is a chop, since even your kicker got counterfeited if the guy happened to have a bad T. If you were going to call that bet on the end, with basically the worst card in the world to come, coming, you should have played the whole hand differently, IMO.

citanul

citanul
03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Your use of quotation marks implies that you know that whether or not you were beaten in either hand has very little do do with the correctitude of your play. That is good.

Don't post the results of these hands. Possibly ever. There's very little to be actually learned from it, except tendencies of 2 specific players.

citanul

lastchance
03-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Is there any read or something special you have that makes you think folding hand 1 is good and folding hand 2 is bad?

Elem100
03-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, I know both plays were a bit strange (all the other hands tonight were bread and butter, this isnt the norm!).

In the first I was thinking, that he's seen me, from the big blind, reraise a significant amount into a raiser and with a player yet to act, so given my reputation at this table basically I have to have a 6 or a monster overpair. He can easily fold a medium overpair, but he insta-pushed for 20% of the chips on the table. What can I beat?

In the second, Villian obviously knows I'm weak, perhaps a 10 or unders, and when as you say the nightmare card for a pair of 10s comes, he puts me all in, there's no way he can expect me to call such a large amount. So I do what I feel he doesnt want me to do, and I call.

I take your point that if I was prepared to call down on the end I should have played it differently, but this guy made moves on people, he was a good player, you cant profit from his looseness unless you let him bet, I certainly wasnt prepared to push in on the turn.