PDA

View Full Version : Can you guess villan's hand?

jskills
03-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Villan seemed to be a solid player from what I could tell - not much more of a read than that, as he hadn't been in very many hands. He had folded to a few of my late position raises while he was in the blinds.

I didn't understand the limp-reraise from UTG at all. What does a solid player limp with UTG? I was very confused. Feel free to berate me, since regardless of how it turned out, I was really floating around confused the entire hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

thesharpie
03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
JJ or AA, in that order. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Peter Harris
03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
at an aggressive table i'll limp reraise AA. Maybe KK. so i'll guess one of those given your reads.

outside possibilities are JJ/TT/AKs. You slowed down very fast; my guess is that you expected AA/KK from a limp reraiser and were surprised by what was shown down; and your hand won, right? probably not.

An odd player might make this move to "reassert" themselves against your raises from before with a trashy hand. That said, i'll go AA/KK, then maybe JJ suckout, or TT, maybe even AK/AQ hearts.

cold_cash
03-08-2005, 08:11 PM
If your read is right, I would guess AA or KK.

Could be A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif or JJ also, but those aren't my first choices.

Shillx
03-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I would check and call all the way. If he checks behind on a street, I would check the next street UI. If he really is solid, then he has aces or kings. But I calldown because a) I might draw out on him and b) my read might be off.

So I'll guess that he has aces.

Brad

PuckNPoker
03-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Maybe he saw there was 1 limper to his left and if he 3 bet he would have position on you and isolate you HU. So a weaker holding could come into play. He bought the button with his extra pf bet.

LoaferGee12
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Then there is always a chance he limped with a hand like 77 to build a big pot and once he saw only one other limper he tried to isolate. I still play the hand how you did but just throwing that out there.

Siegmund
03-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Villain could have any of several pocket pairs.

Could have *any* pocket pair, really, the way some people play, if he thinks he can get it heads-up by reraising.

I think the most likely hands are TT/99/77. AA and KK sometimes limp-reraise but not always; they are certainly possibilities but not the most likely candidates. QQ and JJ are going to raise the first time around. I don't limp-reraise with AKs but I have seen people who do.

22/44/55 will back off when overcards keep coming and might not have come in at all. I would raise the flop and keep betting with a set but not everyone would.

I think it's about a coin flip whether I win this - maybe slightly in my favor. I am beating TT and 77 which often bet this way, losing to 88, 99, and AA which are less likely since weve seen those cards dealt and KK which might not have limped.

overall the hand looks like it was played fairly. Frankly the card that scares me most is the nine on the turn: I'd lead if A or K came, chekcraise if a 2,3,4,5 came.

oLyphant
03-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Aces up..he probably limp/reraised because he wanted more limpers..and didn't want to make them all cold call..although i would disagree with this

deepsquat
03-08-2005, 09:12 PM
pocket 10's

hate
03-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Simply from the fact that this is a guess the villain's hand, I'm putting forth the solid guess of Q5. My unfortunate guess of grannie mae has been solidly beaten by the fact that hero has Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

jskills
03-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Most of you guys are damn good. That's why I come here.

It was AA.

Is this a good way to play AA? Maybe once in a while? I really don't use the limp reraise very much at all. Is is something you should get into the habit of doing once in a while? It sure confused me.

MrWookie47
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
If you get in the habit of using it, you'll be missing out on way too much value when no one raises. One situation where I might be tempted to use it is if I'm across the table from a maniac with a pfr of ~50% or something crazy. Limp, get others in, 3bet him (or cap a thinking player behind the maniac trying to isolate), and punish everyone involved. This is a pretty rare occurance, though. I'd have to be extremely sure someone was going to rasie before I made this play.

Even if you end up stealing the blinds from UTG with AA, you can't look at that as a "loss." You won some money, you didn't get sucked out, and someone will cold call next time.

the_rookie
03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
He's either got KK or AA. THose are the only hands I could see UTG limping re-raising with. I would've said QQ, but you got a coupled already.

I find the limp reraise bizarre as well. I see opponenets using this play as a retaliation to your raise. /images/graemlins/smile.gif A solid player should never limp a premium hand, if that's what he's got.

Sorry if I repeated what anyone else said...posted it w/o looking at other responses.