PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post - Live Play Advice

habsfanca11
03-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Playing in Vegas this weekend and playing B&M for only the third time. Would appreciate advice on playing live.

I have been playing on-line for a year currently at 2/4. I had been playing 3/6 after building my bankroll for that level but went through a horrific downswing that crushed my confidence. I stepped back down to 1/2 to fix my game, plug some leaks and build some confidence. I still have lots to learn and leaks to fix but my play is improved.

Barring any advice to the contrary I had planned on playing 3/6.

Any recommendations on how to keep track of the pot? I had thought to count SB and BB with chips to be able to figure out odds pretty quickly because the other 2 times I played I couldn't keep track of everything I thought I should and the amount of the pot. Any advice on reading players, when to check hole cards, where to play in Vegas?

Given my level of (in)experience particularly B&M any basic recommendations for things to do/watch for would be apprecaited.

Thanks in advance for any who care to reply, habsfanca11

habsfanca11
03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Bump

ftball0000
03-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey man,

I think you might have better luck getting help if you post in the B&M cardrooms section. I really don't play live much, so I can't really help ya. Just wanted to point you in the direction of people who can.
-Ftball

Argus
03-08-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barring any advice to the contrary I had planned on playing 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you were winning at 2/4 and 1/2, if you have the bankroll I'd say that 6/12 isn't out of line, or 7.50/15 (pink chips!) or even 9/18 if you like to gamb00l. I've never played in Vegas though - this is just based on the local live skill level. If 1/2 is tough on you then just play 3/6 - it's easier.

[ QUOTE ]
Any recommendations on how to keep track of the pot? I had thought to count SB and BB with chips to be able to figure out odds pretty quickly because the other 2 times I played I couldn't keep track of everything I thought I should and the amount of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Each street just count the number of players in the pot, and multiply by the number of bets each player put in. Round down half bets to account for the rake. This gets me close enough, and I always hit my gutshot when it turns out I was drawing too thin.

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on when to check hole cards

[/ QUOTE ]
Once you're dealt both cards take a peek. Memorise what you have, put a capper on, and never look at them again until you show them down.

[ QUOTE ]
Given my level of (in)experience particularly B&M any basic recommendations for things to do/watch for would be apprecaited.

[/ QUOTE ]
Verbally declare all your actions and pay attention. I've seen lots of people act out of turn or try to raise and not be allowed because they string bet. Don't do this.

Have fun.

FrankieFish
03-08-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on when to check hole cards

[/ QUOTE ]
Once you're dealt both cards take a peek. Memorise what you have, put a capper on, and never look at them again until you show them down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. I want to shoot the jerks in their sunglasses and ballcaps at my LOW STAKES table who wait until the action gets to them to look at the cards and decide whether they want to pitch in 3 bucks.

Just 1) say what you're gonna do before you do it ("call" or "raise" or "bet") and 2) toke the dealer when you win a pot. Try to get the table talking about anything but poker and have a good time.

tetonpete
03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
tip the cocktail waitress
tip the dealer
don't rely on the dealer to read your hand, if there's a problem, don't wait until later to point it out
don't act as serious as you actually are...loose fun tables make more money.
if you're sitting at a tough table, move

the 2-4 games play like the play money games on party.It's frustrating and not profitable because the pace is too slow. you might want to try it just to get comfortable, but after an hour or so find a 4-8+ table

i've found some real fish at the flamingo : )

habsfanca11
03-08-2005, 10:45 PM
You're right, I'll re post. Thnx. I just posted where I lurk because I recognize people. Cheers

habsfanca11
03-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks! I am a winning player at 2/4. So I'll think about the levels - 3/6 or 4/8 or so. I think I remeber reading somewhere that you should watch behind you to see who is going to bet to judge your action ... any thoughts or aditional advice?

habsfanca11
03-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Flamingo is where I played the last time - 2/4. First two nights I was up and then the last night I got destroyed by the any two cards crew. Thanks!

Demana
03-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I played $4/8 and $6/12 at the Mirage and those were some GREAT games.

As for keeping track of the pot, you just need to practice counting the number of players in the hand at the end of each betting round. The dealer should call the number out and you can use some simple math to quickly calculate the pot.

btw - The easiest way to handle your cards is to wait for it to be your turn, take a deep breath to relax yourself, take your time looking at the cards and remembering their suit(s), and place a chip on them if you are going to play. Then you don't ever have to check them again. Practice doing this the same way no matter what the cards are.

habsfanca11
03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Thnxs, I was thinking Mirage and/or Belagio. I'll give 4/8 some thought.

JDErickson
03-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I would suggest the Excalibur 2-6 Spread Limit game. Very soft players and a great room.

I have played Mirage 4/8 and 6/12. 4/8 is akin to party .50/1.00. 6/12 is iffy. I've been on great tables and tables that were very tough. Remember you can always change tables if things aren't looking favorable.

One other tip for B&M play. Try and do everything the same way every time. When you look at your hand and see 72o lay them back down and cover them with a chip. At your turn then fold. Don't sit there and hold them out like you want to toss them now. Thats a bad tell to other players. DO the same thing when you look down and see AA staring back at you.

If you have a problem with shaky hands like I do, keep them under the table until its your turn. Make a deliberate motion with whatever you are doing and then get them back under the table. This usually goes away after about 1/2 hour foe me.

habsfanca11
03-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Thnxs JD. So if I'm hearing everyone correctly if I do OK (winning) at 2/4 on Party I should be looking at 4/8 or maybe the next level up. I definetly don't want to play with the "any 2 will do" crowd as I tend to tilt a little bit with suck-out after suck-out. I'm there for fun and the vacation fund (BR) is probably OK up to 6/12 for a couple of nights. I do better thinking of the action as 1 or 2 bets etc., it's just having never played that level I don't know if I have the constitution to 3-bet for $36 at 6/12 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

stabn
03-09-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played $4/8 and $6/12 at the Mirage and those were some GREAT games.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mirage typically spreads 3/6 and 6/12. The bellagio spreads 4/18 and 8/16. I will agree that boy games at the mirage are great though. As are the games at the bellagio (even with the luckbox at my 4/8 table).

gvibes
03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I was at the Mirage last week, and it was 3/6. It was a weeknight, and seemed pretty rocky.

The Excalibur 2-6 spread was great.

Demana
03-09-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will agree that boy games at the mirage are great though.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is a "boy" game?

beset7
03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
If you can beat the 2/4 on Party you can play 6/12 at the Mirage--Guarenteed.

CAP YOUR CARDS.

stabn
03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
That was such a horrible typo of both /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

habsfanca11
03-10-2005, 01:37 AM
Luckbox? Is that like a drop/rake for highhand jackpot?

Thanks to all for replies!

habsfanca11
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Bump

And a request. I think I saw where some others are also in Vegas this weekend. Sfer or whoever else is going, if you want a railbird watching "the big game" let me know please and I will drop by. If not have fun!

habsfanca11
03-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Bump. You guys are great. No one responded in B&M.

bobbyi
03-11-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That was such a horrible typo of both /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. I thought you were saying "Boy, those games at the Mirage sure are great".

habsfanca11
03-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks to all that replied. It was Nascar weekend and a big construction convention in Vegas so rooms were exceeding hard to come by. I would up staying at the Sahara. So I arrive Friday night late and sit down at the Sahara 2/4 game (thats all they offer)just to get some play in before bed. And yes, it was definietely play any 2 in this game. One guy made a point of explaining how you had to be able to play 3,6 effectively to be able to make money at Hold'em. And to give him credit, he did play his trash well (and got really, really lucky). Got bled down and sucked out on for $140 loss. Played Sat. night at the Mirage 6/12. It was (sort of) a rock garden. They only had 2 tables going so there was no choice really. Had 2 lags to my right and the rest of the table were tight passive or just calling stations. Mostly got blinded to death and lost the only 3 hands I was involved in. One of them to a guy who flopped his straight and never raised once allowing me to bet for him with an overpair the whole way. Another to chasing a flush that never made it (and I did have odds the whole way). Lost my buy-in of $300 and called it a night at the Mirage. I wasn't getting any hands and the few times I did have reasonable starting cards they never connected with the flop. So I headed home and sat down at the cheap 2/4 game at the Sahara. And lo and behold I started getting cards and they started connecting. I went on an exceptional rush ... played very well, got very lucky in spots and overall just connected with everything. Given that I didn't start playing there until 3 in the morning the quality of players wasn't too bad. We had two of the dealers in our game and play was pretty lively. Bought in for $100 cashed out for $365 after buyin a $42 NLHE tourney entry which I then proceeded to sit in. All in all, it was fun, frustrating, ecstatic and drink filled.

Again, thanks to all for the advice! Cheers.