PDA

View Full Version : Death

rvS
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Short story I found interestin, let me know what you think.

There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the market-place I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there death will not find me.

The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market-place and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.

- came across this story, thought some might enjoy reading it /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

FrankLu99
03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
PWND

Demana
03-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Comes down to a simple question:

Is there such a thing as fate?

IronDragon1
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Did you get this from Scary Stories 2 dude cause I'm pretty sure something like that was in there

FrankieFish
03-09-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOM! The singularity erupts. Particles bounce, according to the laws of physics. Time passes. Gases form. Time passes. Things start to spin around quite a bit. Stuff gets solid.

More time passes. I am born. More time passes. I just replied to your post.

Free will? Or could it have been predetermined based on the laws of physics that started when those first particles starting bouncing around?

Does God not play dice with the universe, or is God the universe's dice?

Demana
03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOM! The singularity erupts. Particles bounce, according to the laws of physics. Time passes. Gases form. Time passes. Things start to spin around quite a bit. Stuff gets solid.

More time passes. I am born. More time passes. I just replied to your post.

Free will? Or could it have been predetermined based on the laws of physics that started when those first particles starting bouncing around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see that I am not the only one to post a philosophical question that has no answer /images/graemlins/smile.gif

btw - The existence of God is still in debate. Check the archives /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pokerrookie
03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are dice games +EV?

FrankieFish
03-09-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are dice games +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you the house?

antifish225
03-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Interesting story.....does fate exist....try this exercise:
- think of one event in your life (getting a job, meeting a girl/boy, deciding to go to a specific resteruant on a specific night)......
- think how insignificant that seemed at the time
- think how that one event forever changed to course of your life

After doing this (and I have done it a thousand times) - you MAY come to that same conclusion that I have - there is no such thing as fate.....life is a random series of events that can unfold in a million different directions......puts things in perspective (especially when you flop a set and loose to runner runner quads)....perspective

Michael Davis
03-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't see how your exercise has anything at all to do with determining fate. Usually, your data is the type used to "prove" fate. I think it is equally ineffective trying to disprove it.

-Michael

FrankieFish
03-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Does a cannonball have a trajectory or a fate?

Demana
03-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Neither