PDA

View Full Version : NBA 74-60-2 3/8 Wherefore art thou andrewbross

03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Was in Philly yesterday (teaching CCx a few things about poker) and couldn't get to a computer, so my apologies for having 2 winners out of 2 and not sharing them with you. I hope to make up for it this evening with the following 3 NBA selections and one bonus from college:

1. Knicks/Wizards over 204:

Like an amateur I'm going to take 2 overs tonight, but in both of them I think the over has a real good shot. Neither team here plays low-scoring games. I like to shy away from the over in games like this (I had the under 226 the other night in PHX/SEA and it was not that close), but I'm surprised this one is under 209. They both could break 110 even without Jamison in the Wiz lineup. Look for the Knicks to up Mo Taylor's pt, and that guy doesn't play a lick of defense. This one is all about trying to outscore the other team, not trying to stop them. Go points.

2. Bucks/Hawks over 193 1/2

I don't know. My recollection is that the Hawks are another team that doesn't really stop anyone. And until their last 3, Milwaukee was one of those run and shoot teams. I toss the last 3, played against much better defenses in Minnesota and Chicago, and expect Milwaukee to revert to form and put up 105 tonight, and give up at least 90.

3. Seattle -4 (Houston)

Seattle is 5-2 in last 7. The losses were a mail-it-in go figure in Milwaukee and the loss at home in the last to Phoenix. They won in Phoenix though, so the last one doesn't bother me. I think they are as good as Phoenix, and do you think Houston would be getting only 4 at Phoenix? I also like Seattle here because (1) Jerome James and maybe even Danny Fortson/Reggie Evans can bang Ming around, and (2) Seattle's quickness can get Ming into foul trouble. With the additions of Mike James and David Wesley, Houston is solid, no doubt about it. But I go with Seattle here.

Bonus NCAA pick: Penn -1 at Princeton. I continue to think Penn is miles ahead of the rest of the Ivy League, and Princeton is not nearly the Princeton it was. Maybe the spread is so low because Penn has already clinched, but I think they are motivated for tournament seeding purposes, and a loss here probably sticks them with the dregs of the 14s.

CCx
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was in Philly yesterday (teaching CCx a few things about poker)

[/ QUOTE ]

How come I still suck then??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with your picks, and next time you're going to be in the city you should let me know, we can grab beers and talk shop.

MicroBob
03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
ORL +6.5
MEM +3.5

TheRover
03-09-2005, 01:12 AM
6 pts. in the entire 3rd quarter?? What the hell? I bet one game and this [censored] happens...

03-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Hey CCx, was Webber booed tonight? They just said that he was.

03-09-2005, 01:21 AM
I wisely took Houston - 1 1/2 in the second half. Was hoping for a middle but had a fear that this might happen. Well, not 6 points in the 3rd quarter ...

oReo
03-09-2005, 03:02 AM
RIP

"the worlds greatest sports handicapper" andrewbross

haha, no more talking about lunch ladies tellin him info.

-oReo

CCx
03-09-2005, 07:44 AM
He was booed pretty much every time he touched the ball - it's too bad Jim O'Brien doesnt touch the ball at all, he's the one who really needs to be booed. If they dont fire him before the season is over, I'm going to go nuts.

03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I unfortunately don't have my finger on the pulse of the Sixers, so I was surprised when my Philly friends were absolutely KILLING O'Brien the other night. What's that all about? Is it a problem co-existing with Iverson? Iverson seems to play 40 minutes a game so I can't imagine there's a problem there.

CCx
03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
It's problems everywhere - he doesnt coach defense, doesnt coach offense, doesnt put the best players on the floor, has problems with matchups, etc.

The offense is terrible - AI runs down the floor and shoots with 19 seconds left on the shot clock or jumps into a crowd and tries to draw a foul or pass the ball out at the last second (read: turnover) - they shoot WAY too many threes, they have absolutely no low post presence (well they do, they just dont use it), and never are able to run any type of offensive plays. It all starts with the coach but more importantly, starts with Iverson too - he may put up a ton of stats but watch any game this year where he's been out and all you see is a smooth running offense...set plays, inside-out ball being played, etc. -- O'Brien has no control over Iverson and Iverson has no control over himself, so they never get into an offensive set and rely too much on transition ball and three point shooting to win games.

On defense, they're an absolute MESS - O'Brien has, and has had the wrong starting lineup out there for so long it's incredible...even before Webber got here, there is no reason on God's green earth that Kyle Korver should be a starter on this team. The team as a whole can't play a lick of defense and that too starts with the coach, as these are good defensive players - the first problem is due to their offense, the way they come down the floor and pop shots with most of the shot clock remaining leads to too many transition baskets from the other team as they are left short on defense coming back down the floor. The next, major, major problem is they collapse the ball WAY too much - actually, all the time. It leaves guys on the other team WIDE open for jump shots all day long...it's been happening all season, and any game you may have watched in the last few weeks show it happening to a larger degree.

Jim O'Brien then comes out to the media and refuses to answer questions about how his team is playing, this has happened all year - Andy Reid can do that and get away with it in this town because he WINS GAMES - O'Brien doesnt do that....couple that with all of the problems listed above and he's on the hot seat right now with no way off it.. This team is in a whole lot of trouble right now, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

dlk9s
03-09-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
expect Milwaukee to revert to form and put up 105 tonight, and give up at least 90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite impressive.

Milwaukee 105, Atlanta 101

Go Bucks! (I know, it's hopeless, but I can dream)

03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
expect Milwaukee to revert to form and put up 105 tonight, and give up at least 90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite impressive.

Milwaukee 105, Atlanta 101

Go Bucks! (I know, it's hopeless, but I can dream)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice of you to ignore the other 2 picks I posted last night. Damn the 2nd half of that Seattle game was pretty unbelievable. Seattle couldn't make a shot. I guess you have to attribute that to Houston, but Seattle really played a sloppy 2nd half, had plenty of opportunities, and just played dumb overall. Hey Nate, you might not want to leave Tracy McGrady open ... particularly at key points in the game.