PDA

View Full Version : Early Rounds

BonJoviJones
09-23-2002, 07:46 PM
What are the good tactics for early rounds in NL hold'em tournies? I've been told that when the blinds are tiny relative to stack size, the best thing to do is play your best ring type NL game.

Thing is, I have no 'normal' NL game. I feel pretty confident (more confident anyway) once the blinds get high and the money gets close. It's then (I figure) my natural aggression and my steal-sense work well for me. My problem tends to be getting to that point.

I have the Reuben & Ciaffone book in transit to me, as it's been recommended highly. Is that the right direction to go? I'm a little leary of playing much side NL games for awhile, but could anyone recommend any internet nl games that are good? Those pokerstars .10/.25 seem like a good way to give it a go without putting much on the line. Just not sure how valuble they'd be.

Any responses welcome. Wedding proposals considered, death threats returned, unused.

The Prince
09-25-2002, 10:33 AM
BonJoviJones,

"I have no 'normal' NL game" --- lol

Reading the Ciaffone book is certainly taking a step in the right direction. You might want to look at the NL section in Super System also.

Pretty much all NL games on the net are good. Especially at the 25-50c blinds. PokerStars, UB and PP also offer them.

As for tournament play, yes, you should play your normal ring game strategy in the early rounds, as the blinds have no real impact on your play. If you don't quite have the grasp of it now, don't worry, you'll get better and better with time. Basically, play like you would in a standard limit ring game but always be aware of stack sizes and implied odds. So, you can take more chances with hands that thrive on implied odds like small pairs and small suited connectors. And be careful with problem hands like KQ, KJ, AQ, AJ, etc...

The best way is really to continue to post here, read a lot and think a lot.

There's no other way.

Regards,