PDA

View Full Version : how to extract the max when u have trips and u know ur opponent has AK

CDSNUTSINYAMOUTH
03-08-2005, 02:40 PM
arty Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

how should i extract the max knowing my opponent has AK top pair of kings top kicker while i have someone in the middle who probably has Q10 open ended straight draw.
do you go for a check raise on the turn after showing strength on the flop? or do you just bet out and play it strongly throughout.
the best play it to 3 bet on the flop then check the turn hoping the guy in LP will bet and then check raise him with the guy in the middle chasing to call cold 2 big bets. But u don't know if that guy is gonna bet out with AK, most likely he will and u also don' tknow if that guy in the middle will call the 2 big bets.
your guys' thoughts?

davelin
03-08-2005, 02:44 PM
How do you know what your opponent has AK? I think you played it fine.

jaxUp
03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
This post sounded a bit arrogant in tone. First of all, you don't "know" that he has AK. He could easily have QQ, KQ, AJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif, even AA.

IMO, the best way to play these hands is to simply bet them. It's the micro-limits and people will call and/or raise with crap. I like your line here, but to say that you "knew" villain had AK w/o including reads, etc. is a bit absurd.

Dead
03-08-2005, 02:56 PM
You misunderstood the original poster I think.

MrWookie47
03-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Other than narrowing your opponents holdings down waaay too much way too fast (after calling you down after you 3bet, I suspect AK or KQ, but I wouldn't be surprised to see AQ, QQ, or even KJ from a LP-P, and Kx or Jx garbage from BB), I think you played this well. You could consider calling the flop raise and then check/raising the turn if you really had your opponent pegged on TPTK, but you can't risk giving an OESD a free card.

jaxUp
03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You misunderstood the original poster I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspected that was the case. Sorry.

Yobz
03-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Anyone else chuck this away preflop?

jskills
03-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Anyone call the flop and C/R the turn? Or I am I trying to be a Fancy Boy again?

Thigh
03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
That's what I was wondering about, but didn't have the nerve to ask. I know it's only 1.5 bets from SB, but 55 isn't that strong to me. I guess it would be dependent on the table.

jskills
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought about that. Maybe if it was folded to the CO and I had a strong read on him as a rock, I'd fold grumbling, thinking it's a coinflip vs AK or worse a big PP. But with two callers already in, the allure of flopping the set would make me call with any PP in the SB here.

Am I too optimistic?

davelin
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone call the flop and C/R the turn? Or I am I trying to be a Fancy Boy again?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to stop on the flop, I'd rather just bet out the turn to keep the player in the middle around. A C/R on the turn is a shutting out move.

CDSNUTSINYAMOUTH
03-08-2005, 03:17 PM
ok a couple things of course i didn't KNOW exactly that he had Ak preflop, i knew he had AK though once he had 3 bet me on th eflop, or something like KJ. Of course a hand I would fear is pocket Jacks or Pocket Kings. I called preflop because I already had 2 people limping in with a guy raising preflop while getting a semi-discount with also the big blind probably calling. The implied odds are pretty great where if i flop a set and if I'm up against TPTK or big pocket pair it's going to be very profitable. I don't think calling preflop here is an issue, you could even call this cold if u're in late position I think.
Someone pointed out check raising the turn will shut out the guy in the middle. But as you can see him folding on the river I think he was on some sort of hand like Q10. Now if U had known he had Q10 to be exact, and u know the other guy has top pair king kicker, I have a feeling he will bet the turn and then I check raise and then charging the max with that guy in the middle with an open ender.
That's probably the most perfect way to play it I think. But oh well, ur reads are never 100%.

jskills
03-08-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to stop on the flop, I'd rather just bet out the turn to keep the player in the middle around. A C/R on the turn is a shutting out move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good point there. I hadn't considered it would make the middle guys go away given the positioning.

What if villan is acting before other players?

davelin
03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good point there. I hadn't considered it would make the middle guys go away given the positioning.

What if villan is acting before other players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then going for the check-raise there is fine.

Cooker
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
There are simply too many players in this pot to do much fancy. If you 3 bet the flop, I think you probably slow down even TPTK, and the turn check will be too obviously an attempted check raise (plus the OESD will still have plenty of odds to call your check raise on the turn). Lets see if you can manipulate the pot size such that it would be incorrect for the OESD to call on the turn (clearly the flop call is going to be good for him).

You might want to try and get in fewer bets on the flop to try and manipulate the pot size so that an OESD has incorrect odds on the turn which he will probably call with any way. Check raising the flop gives the OESD better than 6 to 1 and puts in 3 big bets meaning he will have 9 to 1 to call on the turn if you bet out (check raising 2 times is unlikely). Check calling the flop will probably have more people in (but you are probably okay to let them in) and will probably put in 5 more small bets making the pot 7.5 BB on the turn. Now if you check raise the turn, you can put an OESD to 5.25 to 1 odds to call, so a call would still be correct by an OESD. I think the big pot built preflop will prevent you from driving out an OESD that knows the odds.

So you should probably push hard hoping that he folds incorrectly. This may mean smooth calling the raise on the flop and check raising the turn, hoping the OESD folds incorrectly when facing 2 big bets cold, but don't count on it.

pipster
03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I actually would call the flop and bet out the turn hoping to 3-bet and get the straight draw to drop.

Entity
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance in hell. This is an easy easy call.

Rob