PDA

View Full Version : 2 pair facing a check-raise

trojanrabbit
03-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Early in a live tournament. Blinds 15/30. Average stack is 1000, I have 1650, the BB has 800. I limp in MP with AJo. I mix up this hand with calling a raising, mostly raising. All fold to BB, who so far seems pretty tight.

Pot is 75. Flop is rainbow AQJ. BB checks, I bet 80, BB check-raises 150 more. What now?

MLG
03-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Call and get it in on the turn. He doesn't have AQ, AA, QQ, JJ IMO, those are all raises preflop. So, you're afraid of precisely K10. Hopefully he has a weak A that he's about to overplay for all his chips.

AtticusFinch
03-08-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call and get it in on the turn. He doesn't have AQ, AA, QQ, JJ IMO, those are all raises preflop. So, you're afraid of precisely K10. Hopefully he has a weak A that he's about to overplay for all his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Also, I doubt he'd check-raise the nut straight on a flop with no flush draws. If he has any sense, he'd call and check-raise the turn. Even if he has it, you have outs.

adanthar
03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Also, I doubt he'd check-raise the nut straight on a flop with no flush draws. If he has any sense, he'd call and check-raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play my Broadway straights far stronger than that, mostly because Party's full of people that can't fold 2 pair or even lone aces.

You're ahead of QJ and Ax and behind (the occasional) AQ and KT. Ax won't bet all that strongly on later streets, though.

I want to see a showdown as cheap as possible (unless, of course, he checks the turn or river) and may even fold on a later street if he doesn't let me do it.

Edit: Wait, live tournament and you have him outchipped that much? Forget everything I just said.

adanthar
03-08-2005, 03:18 PM
To elaborate on what I said earlier, think about the difference between AJ and a (misclicked) limped AK here.

With the AK, you're behind exactly 2 more hands (AJ and QJ), but have a lot of redraws against both. You also have 7 outs to the nuts against any given hand.

And yet, most people don't play AK the same way as AJ here. Admittedly, the chance of QJ makes a big difference, but I still think that's a relatively significant mistake.