PDA

View Full Version : AKs too weak?

J-Lo
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1090)
Hero (t4730)
MP (t1725)
Button (t4465)
SB (t1490)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t625</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1625</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2325

I had been pretty aggressive thus far.... no read on oponent.. do i call and hope for a good flop? This is in a $25+2...

results below

<font color="white">Of course he turned over AQ, but that didn't matter, i went on to win the tourney </font>

Allinlife
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I don't mind the lay down since you are among the top 2 in chip position, and he reraised you, knowing you were acting UTG + only stack that could bust him. I see JJ~AA/AK so basically at best you will be flipping coinsor heavily dominated.

codewarrior
03-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I've seen a reraise like this with far worse at the $25. With no read, I can't fault the fold. Do you think he would have folded to you had you popped back all-in?

That said, you've no reason to tangle with the other big stack on a flip.

I might have limped here - if you've been very aggr. the limp should scare the others more than the raise.

therock
03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
I re-raise all my chips as fast as I can. If I have AK, I do not worry about AA or KK, so the only hands he will call and coin-flip me are QQ-1010. I would only fold to the re-raise if there was a short stack about to bust, and I don't think this is quite the case. Call me crazy...

Scuba Chuck
03-08-2005, 04:47 PM
I would have also folded to this play. I would have reraised if I were holding AA or KK. IMO, both you and the villain played this hand correctly (with incomplete info that is). Big stack is letting you know he has a hand. IMO, that range is 99+, AQ+. AKs against that range of hands is not enough of an edge to sacrifice your monster chip position.

FWIW, I would have raised to something like 1,000 or 1,200 here, trying to entice one of the other stacks to call, and let the Big stack know that I have a hand. Your 3xBB raise doesn't tell him that. That being said, there's no telling if Big Stack would have folded his AQ here, so you may have gotten off on the cheap.

Scuba

Scuba Chuck
03-08-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I re-raise all my chips as fast as I can. If I have AK, I do not worry about AA or KK, so the only hands he will call and coin-flip me are QQ-1010. I would only fold to the re-raise if there was a short stack about to bust, and I don't think this is quite the case. Call me crazy...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are crazy, and this is terrible advice.