PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Amarillo Slim is heads up championship?

betgo
03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Why wasn't Amarillo Slim is heads up championship? He is supposed to be the greatest NLHE HU player. Maybe he is not is good health for this.

Beerfund
03-08-2005, 01:16 PM
He was to busy being 104 years old.

Daliman
03-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I think his recent legal trouble are making him have to keep a lower profile with regards to television, which I highly doubt is self-imposed.

MyMindIsGoing
03-08-2005, 01:56 PM
What legal trouble?

Daliman
03-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I can't pull up a specific link, but last year or so he plead guilty to a charge similar to illegal touching of a 12 y/o girl on more than one occasion.

Sponger15SB
03-08-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is supposed to be the greatest NLHE HU player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hear this from amarillo slim?

riffraff
03-08-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amarillo is well known for his talent at heads-up poker and has won these types of events more than once.

PokerPaul
03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Amarillo is very old now, and i doubt his current mental strength is not nearly as it was years ago.

Nice man (surprised to hear about this legal issue), but hardly one of the current best players in the workld

citanul
03-08-2005, 02:35 PM
too... many... negatives... in one sentence...

citanul

Daliman
03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amarillo is well known for his talent at heads-up poker and has won these types of events more than once.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, he hasn't won an event like this before, more for the dearth of events like this, but he DID come in 2nd in Vienna in the first World heads up championships, although he got there by getting away with a HUGE angle shot on Ron rose.

Jusr do a search on that one...

I.Rowboat
03-08-2005, 03:12 PM
2-11-04, Amarillo Globe-News: 'Amarillo Slim' pleads guilty to assault (http://amarillo.com/stories/021104/new_slim.shtml) (free registration may be required)

From the article:

Legendary poker player Thomas Austin "Amarillo Slim" Preston Jr. pleaded guilty Tuesday to three misdemeanor assault charges.

Preston received two years deferred adjudication and a $4,000 fine from 181st District Judge John Board.

In August, a Randall County grand jury indicted Preston on three felony counts of indecency with a child by contact.

The indictments listed three dates in early 2003 when Preston allegedly touched a 12-year-old girl.

The girl's mother alerted police in March and Preston was arrested and released on $5,000 bond Aug. 11.

Robert Templeton, Preston's attorney, said the felony charges were dropped.

"He had earlier taken polygraph tests, and the felony charges were dismissed," Templeton said. "The court said the proof on those charges failed. He pled guilty to three simple assault charges and not a sexual offense. After the term of probation has been served, the misdemeanor charges will be dismissed."

daryn
03-08-2005, 03:16 PM
i love that thread, it contains that great ray zee anecdote.

Daliman
03-08-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i love that thread, it contains that great ray zee anecdote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which thread and which anecdote?

Dammit now I'm making YOU look things up....bah.

Lotta threads have addressed this topic though.

daryn
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
the thread about the angle shot against ron rose. i should have clarified.

smarterthanyoda
03-08-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean this one? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1108822&Main=1107421)

betgo
03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
If I were Ron Rose, I don't care how old that guy was, I wouldn't have taken it so well.

tek
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
H ecould of at least made an appearnace riding a llama through the poker room or something /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
03-08-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I knew that. I meant which thread about it, as it has been referenced in several, and the one linked later in this thread has no RZ qoute that I could see. Has a nice play-by play analysis of the angle shot tho. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

trying2learn
03-08-2005, 06:28 PM
my question then would be - and forgive if this has been asked ad nausea - how many "well known" or "world class" players have been caught redhanded shooting angles before?

is this more of a common occurance than one would think? i've heard of men the masters 'staple' of players, and annie dukes different moments (looking at folded cards etc)...but now reading this I'm wondering if this is something that happens much more than the casual poker fan realizes.

Daliman
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my question then would be - and forgive if this has been asked ad nausea - how many "well known" or "world class" players have been caught redhanded shooting angles before?

is this more of a common occurance than one would think? i've heard of men the masters 'staple' of players, and annie dukes different moments (looking at folded cards etc)...but now reading this I'm wondering if this is something that happens much more than the casual poker fan realizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I hear, it is and it does, although no toften in full view of cameras and microphone, and not usually quite as egregiously as Slim did it.

For easier reference in reference t Slim's angle shot, I will copy/paste my comments from the linked thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, since I can't seem to find it, even though I know it has been run through several times, I will tell how it happened. I may end up being a bit off on the EXACT kickers and ancillary board cards, but otherwise, i assure you, everything else is correct.

Slim raised from the button with KJo, Ron Rose calls with KK( i think, mighta raised, but doesnt really matter)

Flop K 8 3

RR checks, AS says, "You Check, I bet, you bet, I pass" and makes a decent bet. RR immediatley pushes allin, and has AS covered. As says, "Ok, let's go" and tables his cards face up directly in front of him in the exact fashion the players were told to do for showdowns in this tourneamnt, and reaches over to the chips he had bet on flop, as if to count them, all the while glancing out the corner of his eye towards RR. RR tables HIS cards face up, showing Slim to be drawing dead and out of the tournament, and Slim proceeds to say, "What are you doing? Don't show your cards, I folded." and then picks his cards up and pitches them towards the dealer, and pitches the chips form his initial flop bet towards RR. RR of course protests, a floorman comes over, and between Slim's syrupy "No sir, I had NO intention of calling. "Ok, let's go" means, ok, I'm gone, I fold." and the barely english speaking dealer, they come to the conclusion that Slim never said the words, "I call", and therefore is not bound to call.

Problems with this are:
A. Who folds faceup directly in front of him, specifically arranging the cards in the exact position the camrea required for a showdown?
B. If he was folding, why did he touch the chips he had previously bet? Those chips are in the pot, and he is not supposed to touch them.
C. If he was folding, why was he looking out the corner of his eye at RR's cards? Why not table his "good fold" faceup and then look directly at RR's cards. for confirmation that RR had the better hand?
D. If he was folding, why would he care that RR showed his hand? His response was defensive, as if he had something to hide, which he did. A proper response for that if he were folding would be along the lines of,"Whew, glad I folded that one"

Anyways, Slim ends up beating RR, and in his next match, just so happens to say "Ok, let's go" to his opponent in THIS match, and he this time, of course, was calling with the nuts, even though he never officially said "call" The commentators made a special note that obviously, sometimes it means fold, sometimes, it means call...

Ron Rose took it pretty well, knowing that he wasn't the first to buy snake oil from Slim, and won't be the last. Slim, for his part, ended up coming in 2nd place in these first World heads up championships, Getting CRUSHED by Bruno Fitoussi in only 4 hands! During the tourneys, he repeatedly denied taking an angle shot, but word is he did later confide that was exactly what it was.

I used to have a ton of respect for Slim, Now, even before the charges against him were filed for molestation, I found him to be a pretty reprehensible human being. As he pointed out in his book when he admitted fixing an Army base baseball game, he obviously isn't too concerned with having a level playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]

trying2learn
03-08-2005, 06:56 PM
"From what I hear, it is and it does, although no toften in full view of cameras and microphone, and not usually quite as egregiously as Slim did it."

Well, then I suppose that would relate to A-Rod's 'swat' play running down the line last year. Yankee fans thought it was trying to win at any cost, most other baseball fans thought it was bush league...which relates to angle shooting instead of cheating. I'm torn on this differential...I'm so f'n competitive, I wonder how many shots are going to be things I consider as I get better and learn more about the game. I'd like to think none, but when it comes to gaining an edge...the lines that become grey will be interesting.

TheCodeDog
03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
This (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=222437&page=&view= &sb=5&o=&fpart=#222437) might be the Ray Zee anecdote.

Daliman
03-08-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=222437&page=&view= &sb=5&o=&fpart=#222437) might be the Ray Zee anecdote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, probably. It's a good one, although the "ray was already better at it than anybody" is pretty hyperbolic.

betgo
03-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I guess my questions have been answered. Between the cheating and the child molestation accusations (I wonder what he was like when he was younger), he might not have received an invitation. He also may not have been well enough to attend. He certainly would have been a colorful addition for TV.