PDA

View Full Version : Online Stats - What do they really mean?

jimmycal
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
my understanding as preached by the authors of 2+2 books is your hourly rate is your determining factor of success in the poker room.

My question is what is the value of tracking your stats, and for 7-stud what are good averages?

PoorLawyer
03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I think your question is too vague to really answer. Hourly rate is a stat you keep to know how much you are winning at the end, but other stats are important to show how well you are playing and how you can improve that hourly rate. As an example, if you track your hands over a large # of hands and find your hourly rate to be +2BB/hr but you look at your % played on 3rd and it is 50%, you are probably playing too loose so if you work on being more selective your hourly rate will probably increase over the long run.

jimmycal
03-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Ok - more specifically -

I fold 3rd street 60% of the time and win 50% of time when seeing 4th st....showdowns I win 60% of the time.

Where do I need improvement?

Andy B
03-08-2005, 01:29 PM
I can't vouch for the other stats, but you should be seeing fourth street significantly less than 40% of the time.

BeerMoney
03-08-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok - more specifically -

I fold 3rd street 60% of the time and win 50% of time when seeing 4th st....showdowns I win 60% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!!! You're winning 20% of your hands. 40% seeing 4th * 50% win when see 4th =20%. You don't need any improvement.

PoorLawyer
03-08-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok - more specifically -

[/ QUOTE ]

well i think if you played less than 40% of your hands the other numbers would go up significantly. If I had to guess, you are probably playing a lot of low straight draws with dead cards out and low pairs with low kickers/dead cards to get up to such a high # of hands played.

Hauser_III
03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
The stats can be somewhat helpful, but I find it hard to analyze a player's game based solely on the stats. You, for example, are seeing 4th street 40% of the time, which is an amazingly high number if your sample size of hands is sufficiently large, and you're also winning 50% of the time you see 4th street, which again is an amazingly high number if the sample size of hands is sufficiently large. So, based on those two percentages, your success factor looks great. But what those percentages don't tell you is the size of the pots you are winning, versus the size of the pots you are losing. If you're taking down 50% of the pots when you see 4th street, but the majority of those are small pots, while the majority of the 50% of the pots that you lose are big pots, then you're a long-term loser, even though the percentage of pots won looks fantastic.

If your sample size is big enough, the stats will tell you if you see 4th too much, and will also tell you if you go to showdown too often without the best hand, but they won't tell you if you're extracting the best value for your hands.

timmer
03-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeap andy's right tighten up somewhat on 3rd but not too much if you can way out play the vast majority of your opponents on the big money rounds and if you are getting to see 4th for free as the bring. ( which your in 12% of the time) I'd say as high as 32% if your are seeing 4th in the bring for free 65% to 80 % of the time your in the bring (8% to 10% of the total hands dealt)

Remember Around 24% of the time your going to have the best or the best draw on third. Part of being a winner in this game is correctly devining these situations and playing into them liberally. On the other hand, the ability to get away from these hands when things turn bad w has a huge effect on whether you should play this many hands or not.

also IT depends on the ante structure and how often its three bets on third.

timmer