PDA

View Full Version : tao,zen,psychology

asofel
03-08-2005, 11:46 AM
just got these today. Any worth in reading them in a certain order?

Boltsfan1992
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Hiya -

I would read The Psychology of Poker first; it's definitely helped me. I have the Zen of Poker, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet and it sits on my shelf gathering dust. Maybe I should pick it up and read it...

PB

luckybeans
03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Psychology of Poker is a terrific read for a detailed fundamental understanding of general poker principles that are applicable to every cash game of poker. I have not read the others but I would highly recommend Tournament Poker and The Art of War for tournament psychology principles (which are very different from cash games).

npc
03-09-2005, 12:41 AM
I recommend Zen before Tao, as it was both written first and overall I found it to be more interesting (although it has some serious flaws). Other than that, I don't think it matters much.

Terry
03-09-2005, 03:40 AM
I recommend reading the Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet first.

You only think I'm kidding. I kid you not.

MarkL444
03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
i would just read psych three times

popniklas
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
i would just read psych three times

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. i didn't like the zen book much.

DrPhysic
03-09-2005, 08:45 PM
The Psychology of Poker is required reading for any serious poker player, regardless of whether you play limit, no limit, ring, or tournament. Dr Schoonmaker is knowledgeable of US. And gives us some very important insights into types of poker players and how to understand and deal with them. If I had to pick 5 books on poker that were the only ones I could keep, this one is on the list.

Zen and the Art of Poker is from an eastern philosophy point of view which is why is is panned as often as it is. It deals heavily with learning the patience required to play good poker. For anyone who plays serious tournament poker or plays any kind of poker with a tendency to tilt, I think this is an excellent book.

The Tao of Poker, also by Phillips is new to me, I am only half way through it, so I will hold comment at this time.

Happy reading,

Doc /images/graemlins/cool.gif

deacsoft
03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend Zen before Tao, as it was both written first and overall I found it to be more interesting (although it has some serious flaws). Other than that, I don't think it matters much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.