PDA

View Full Version : Proper amount to bluff on this river - if any?

Two Finger
03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Live 5-5 game in NYC card room:

Me: ~800 (solid image)
SB: (Villain) ~700 (calls the flop and turn if he has any draw. Also, loves straight draws)

Limp in Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, folded to both blinds. they check

Flop: Q J 9 - rainbow ($15)

check check, i bet $25. SB calls and BB folds.

Turn: Q
SB checks and I take my time before I bet $60.
He takes his time and finally calls. My read is OESD.

River: K - completes rainbow

check, check. I lose to A - 10.

Can I make a value bet/bluff here to move him off the straight? I think he folds around 30-40% of the time here if I sell it well.

Or is the check good and on to the next hand?

partygirluk
03-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't think he is calling the turn on a straight draw with the intention to fold if he hits.

Do you think a monster bet would have pushed him off his hand?

flawless_victory
03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
are you nuts? this guy called after the board had paired to draw... now you think hes folding when he nails it just right??? if you bet the river you are getting CHECKRAISED... do not bluff. give up. you cannot win this pot.

Two Finger
03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
So my thoughts were along the lines of "ok he got lucky, I'm done w/the hand."

Then he looks at me while stacking and goes, "you move in, I'd have to fold"

At the time, I thought it was bullshit, but, wanted a second opinion on this.

Thanks.

ScottTheFish
03-08-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Then he looks at me while stacking and goes, "you move in, I'd have to fold"

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no WAY I would move in on someone who said this, unless I had the nuts. he is begging you to push.

Voltron87
03-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Your play is fine until you started thinking about bluffing. If you are playing a fishy player who will call down with a straight draw, if he gets the draw do not try to bluff him off the hand he made! A fishy player is not really going to give you credit for a boat here, especially with your line.

JackOfSpeed
03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I think you misread the post (as did I the first time).

As I understand it (after the reread), hero is referring to the other player stacking his chips after winning the pot - the hand is already over (both players showed their cards since it went check check), and Mr. A-10 is saying he would have folded to an all-in.

carini04
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Bluffing really completes a person's poker game, but you have to know when to do it. And believe me it is not too often!
Forget table talk - the only talk at the table you need to listen to is if someone asks to buy you a round!!

radioheadfan
03-08-2005, 06:56 PM
If you had come in raising preflop **maybe** you can make that big bluff on the river to push him off. But from my experience too many players make that crying call on the end.

Let him have your $90. Next hand.

NOT WORTH IT