PDA

View Full Version : paired door card

nicky g
09-23-2002, 11:42 AM
how should you react when a limper's door card pairs on 4th street? let's say there are several limpers to you, you complete with buried aces, and they all call, now someone with a 10 door card catches another ten while you blank. the tens come out betting. what to do? is this an automatc fold, if you are against an unknown opponent? can you call with live cards, or even raise for information?

09-23-2002, 11:49 AM
It depends almost entirely on knowledge of your opponent. Assuming 10s are live you should fold against an unknown opponent. However, against many low limit opponents who limp with many weak hands, you may want to raise. If the 10 was the highest card showing and just limped, you may want to raise. When in doubt, lean towards folding, but this is where watching how specific players play can allow you to call or raise instead.

09-23-2002, 02:38 PM
players in, if U have a live buried over-pair,then it's OK to continue to tag along for the 1/2 bet to see 4th Str.
BUT only in a 15-30 ante game or higher.
Your best play in a lower limit game is to fold.
Sure,folding MIGHT be an error,but it is NEVER a major one.
The problen with tagging along to see 4th is that U MIGHT obtain two pairs where the 2nd one is an under-pair to the 10's.
Hence,U would then be inclined to play the hand ALL the way.
In other words, U are setting yourself up to fall into a trap. Connecting with two pairs in this spot will cost U several BB's if your opponent has a set.
Y gamble in a low limit game??
Although U have no knowledge of this player,did U notice if he played MANY 3rd Str. hands or only a few??
If he played MANY hands,be more inclined to play your hand aggressively against him. If he played relatively few hands,be more inclined to fold your A's.
Hap /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif py pokering,
Sitting Bull

09-23-2002, 03:03 PM
If there are several limpers to you and you aren't in a position to really knock anyone out with your pocket Aces, it is usually best to just call and then try to raise a bettor on 4th street. Or possibly even check raise if you think thats your best bet to eliminate people. This concept is explained in detail in 7csfap. The basic reason is that by raising you make the pot so big that people that otherwise would be incorrect in calling are now playing correctly.
As for what to do when a limper pairs there door card, this depends on alot of information. For example, say someone limped in with a ten in an early position and it was the highest card showing. I for one would have expected them to raise if they really had the tens on 3rd street. Therefore, I would probably pop them expecting just a pair of tens with a three flush or three strait. Have you seen another ten out? If so he has to have the case one to have trips. Did someone in between you and the paired tens catch a strait flush card to his doorcard and already call the double bet? If so you definitely want to now consider throwing your hand away, as it looks like you might be up against a good draw as well. As you can see there is too much information to take into account to be giving you a clear cut answer.

Mike Emery

Herb N.
09-23-2002, 07:55 PM
I would raise and knock out the players behind me.I believe if he started with split 10's he would have completed the bet.thers a perty good chance you will have position on this player on the next round that will give you some options.

nicky g
09-24-2002, 07:24 AM
thanks guys. very helpful info.

CJC
09-25-2002, 12:28 AM
Larry,
You Wrote
"With Several players in, if U have a live buried over-pair,then it's OK to continue to tag along for the 1/2 bet to see 4th Str."

1)This is the last situation you want to be in.
2)What makes you think it will still be a 1/2 bet?

This is a classic situaion. And its fold or raise time! Most times it will be a fold. If I ever call in this situation I know it is time for me to go home.

Didn't I just make a post entiltled 'Winning players fold winners' or somethin along those lines.

CJ

09-25-2002, 02:48 AM
Nicky is hoping to nab another "A" on 4th.
I don't believe anyone will raise a paired doorcard. That's the reason I said it was OK to call for 1BB or 1/2BB.
Nicky really doesn't want to raise into several players if he cannot reduce the field.
The plan is to fold 4th UNLESS Nicky connects with another "A". If he connects with two pairs and the T's are completely live,he MUST have the DISCIPLINE to FOLD his /forums/images/icons/cool.gif two pairs.

Yes---winning players do fold winning hands.

Happy Pokering.
Sitting Bull