PDA

View Full Version : bluffing with KKT flop

joop
03-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Anyone bluff like this? Is it +EV? I'm undecided if I should be making this play, or just folding to the bet on the flop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

zeropotential
03-08-2005, 04:15 AM
this isn't a bluff.. you're ahead to most of the time
i'd play it the same way

milesdyson
03-08-2005, 04:16 AM
That's not a bluff.

wax311
03-08-2005, 04:17 AM
I don't see how this is a bluff. You have hit the board. It's unlikely your opponent has a king - if he did, he probably would've slowplayed. Nice raise on the flop, good job sticking with it on the turn.

caggin
03-08-2005, 04:20 AM
This isn't a bluff...you've got top pair, with a good kicker. (Yes, it's on a paired board, but you should still play this like top pair.)

Angrymoog
03-08-2005, 04:20 AM
I'm still a new player, but what about the fact that raising here on the flop really doesnt gain Hero more than a SB.

If he doesnt have a K, he could be bluffing, he could have a pocket pair. I figure if you call the flop, he tries again on the turn and you can check raise whent eh bets are more expensive?

If he has a K, youve given him one more small bet.

joop
03-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Okay, it's not a bluff. I will keep doing it.
Thanks.

Bizot
03-08-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still a new player, but what about the fact that raising here on the flop really doesnt gain Hero more than a SB.

If he doesnt have a K, he could be bluffing, he could have a pocket pair. I figure if you call the flop, he tries again on the turn and you can check raise whent eh bets are more expensive?

If he has a K, youve given him one more small bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say he has an A and you check it till the Ace comes on the river and you lose or a Q or some other card that allows him to draw out on you.

Bet/raise win the pot while you have the best hand, its better than waiting for him to beat you.

nh.

Angrymoog
03-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Isnt that a little results-oriented?
Youre thinking in terms that you want to win the pot, and not in terms of extracting the maximum value.

He's going to call the raise on the flop if he does have overcards anyway, so he still makes the draw on the turn. Now when he doesnt hit its a bigger pot on the turn, and he may make a slightly incorrect draw again to the river, if he has the draw.

On the other hand, if hero calls the flop bet, and raises the turn, suddenly the pot isnt offering as good odds, and he still saw the turn card he was going to see in the first place. More importantly, Hero gains one more half bet from villain when he has nothing.

Im no expert, thats just how i see it.

milesdyson
03-08-2005, 05:04 AM
I missed this the first time I saw the hand.

Raise this 100% of the time preflop.

adsman
03-08-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isnt that a little results-oriented?
Youre thinking in terms that you want to win the pot, and not in terms of extracting the maximum value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning the pot here is exactly what you want to me doing. You can't extract a hand for value if your hand is marginal in the first place. By "extracting maximum value", you're just giving opponents the chance to draw out on you. Plus you missed the most important part of his raise. He knocked out the SB who had raised pre flop, thus getting the hand heads-up. This was nicely played.

Buckmulligan
03-08-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise this 100% of the time preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking. I do think that you got into trouble from the start when you chose not to raise/fold preflop.

Angrymoog
03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Whoops, youre absolutely right, I started thinking of this as headsup from preflop since I didnt look back.

Makes my point moot really, but I think if it were headsup, calling the flop would be a definite option.