PDA

View Full Version : I just got called a fish.

adsman
03-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I just got called a fish for this hand. Specifically, that I should have never played the hand, nor called the turn bet. I feel so helpless in the face of their taunts.....

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.5. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

istewart
03-08-2005, 03:46 AM
It's a bit lower than I traditionally play, but with all the money in there already, fish it up.

Side question: If UTG+1 and UTG+2 call the turn does Hero raise?

Ric
03-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Easy turn call. No reason to think any of your outs are bad. Good hand.

jaxUp
03-08-2005, 03:51 AM
You are a fish.

There. That's twice. Both of them undeserved. NH.

Poker_kensho
03-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Easy call for me preflop with that many people in.

Turn is easy call with 5:1 on a 2.5:1 shot.

jaxUp
03-08-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy call for me preflop with that many people in.

Turn is easy call with 5:1 on a 2.5:1 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that many people in I would coldcall.

wax311
03-08-2005, 04:00 AM
"Screw you you shouldn't have played that hand."

"Why the hell did you call that turn bet?"

You're response:
"Man, my dog keeps barking. I can SEE the air, man! Where am I now in a poker chat room or something? Oh dude I'm soooo highhhhhhh..."

Then take all their money.

BasBalln32
03-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Seems like most people play this PF. Even at .5/1 dont think I would, even 8 handed. But since you did I think you played it fine. A lot of people at this limit don't understand odds and think any kind of draw is "chasing." Ignore em

DavidC
03-08-2005, 06:17 AM
NH

Edit: Also, turn your chat off.

DavidC
03-08-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, and for two reasons:

1) With 12 outs, you don't have the equity for it. A pair won't win this hand for you... probably, maybe the 7, but it's doubtful.

2) If you did, if could still get re-raised behind you and someone might drop: killing your equity further.

3) It kills your action on the river.

... I guess I can't count.

DavidC
03-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Here's a response for them:

No worries man, I've got to win a hand once in a while.

Vern
03-08-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) With 12 outs, you don't have the equity for it. A pair won't win this hand for you... probably, maybe the 7, but it's doubtful.

2) If you did, if could still get re-raised behind you and someone might drop: killing your equity further.

[/ QUOTE ]

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

Sorry, could not help myself.

adsman
03-08-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

Sorry, could not help myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get ..... the comfy chair!!

Reef
03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
gh

archmagi
03-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Looking at the hand, the game is loose passive, so it's not a disastrous pre-flop call. I wouldn't normally play this hand, but given the right game conditions why not? And here you have them.

The turn call is correct, I would have done so as well.

GrunchCan
03-08-2005, 09:32 AM
I sometimes like to taunt the person taunting me when this kind of thing happens. It really puts the guy on tilt, and he starts getting real aggro against me. cha-ching!

I'll toss back to him:

"You should definitely complain more."
"Have some cheese with that whine"

adsman
03-08-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"Have some cheese with that whine"

[/ QUOTE ]

Permission to use this? If only I had known this line at the time.

GrunchCan
03-08-2005, 09:37 AM
1 BB per usage royalty. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TwoShedsJackson
03-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Throwing in an old favourite like 'ssshh I'm counting your chips' could help too /images/graemlins/cool.gif

McGahee
03-08-2005, 10:01 AM
I hate it when I check the flop and people don't fold /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jskills
03-08-2005, 10:08 AM
I'd still probably fold preflop.

But the rest is just fine. NH.

VTDuffman
03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Hero is in MP3 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

Limper or two, I raise. BB 3-bets, fold, fold, I call.

Flop: (8 Small Bets, 2 players) 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif -- BB bets, fold, fold, Hero Raises, BB Calls.

Turn: (5 BB, 2 Players) 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif -- BB Bets, Hero Raises, BB Calls

River: (9 BB, 2 Players) 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif -- BB Checks, Hero Bets, BB Calls.

Hero wins 11 BB Pot with Nut Flush, BB Shows Jacks.

[I usually turn my chat off but this one time it happened to be up]

BB Says: "You got lucky."

Now because, I'm a moron, and my session was pretty much over anyway...I didn't reply with what I should have: "nh". It was also because I was on a wicked downswing, and this was my first good hand in a while, I go "Lucky? I had you beat on the flop."

He says "Yeah, that was lucky."

I then, [again mistakenly] proceed to tell him that I was only a 2:1 Dog on the flop, and was getting 8:1 on my pf call. Which isn't luck, it's good poker.

He then proceeds to use literally every line in the book:
-"U can go to hell for all I care."
-"U have a lot to learn about Poker."
-"I teach my freinds howto play cards for a fee."
-"I play 5/10, I'm just slumming in .5/1 to clear a bonus."
-"I'm 4 Tabling"
-"How much [bankroll] U got?" [Proceeds to rebuy for his entire $1000 bankroll, which is fascinating considering a)he's 4 tabling and b) that's only 100 BB in 5/10]
-"U want to play Heads Up?"
-"I play at Foxwoods every weekend."
-"I finished in the money at the WSOP last year."

I was dying laughing at this point...I guess I do have alot to learn about poker /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gvibes
03-08-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I'd call 45s, but fold 34s (usually).

Dead
03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
You shouldn't say that crap about 8:1 and position in the chat. You're not trying to educate people. Just say, I'm the one stacking your chips bud.

GrunchCan
03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't say that crap about 8:1 and position in the chat. You're not trying to educate people. Just say, I'm the one stacking your chips bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Don't make them better. Just make them mad.

VTDuffman
03-08-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this, seriously, I was at the tail end of a 60BB downswing and had managed to keep the tilt under control for the last 6 hours or so. A comment like that just kind of set me off. I even said I was mistaken.

The point of my post was for everyone to get a good laugh out of his canned lines. Not to get a lecture about scaring the fishes. I already know not to do that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Entity
03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The PF call is fine. I'd probably limp as weak as 53s here, and I consider 43s slightly stronger. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

Dead
03-08-2005, 11:59 AM
You're forgiven Duffman. I admire your work.

As Zehn
03-08-2005, 12:03 PM
My absolute favorite Python episode. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bozlax
03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

bozlax
03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.

jskills
03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The PF call is fine. I'd probably limp as weak as 53s here, and I consider 43s slightly stronger. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's correct given the posters, but I would likely insta-fold since it would be how I'd handle it in a normal situation. I know that makes little sense ...

davelin
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's correct given the posters, but I would likely insta-fold since it would be how I'd handle it in a normal situation. I know that makes little sense ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Posters or limpers, if there were 5 people in the flop in front of me, I'd also limp with 34s regardless.

Dave H.
03-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Agree with them. Ask for more advice. And, by all means, stay at the table. If the chatters move, follow them and ask for even more advice. Jot down names for your buddy list.

Nice play...you definitely had the outs!

jskills
03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I didn't even count 5 people. I thought it was just the 2 posters. I agree with you. I might even limp with worse than that with 5 in ...

adsman
03-08-2005, 01:37 PM
me: I'm a fish huh?

idiot1: you have no idea what you're doing.

idiot2($1.75 in front of him): I wish I had good cards to bust you with.

me: I think you'd need some money first.

idiot2: I lost it too stupid fish like you drawing out on the river. But just you wait.

idiot1: We're gonna get you.

idiot1 stats: 54%/2%/0
idiot2 stats: 47%/13%/1.1

Wasn't I pissed when they left.

Buckyinsc
03-08-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree with them. Ask for more advice. And, by all means, stay at the table. If the chatters move, follow them and ask for even more advice. Jot down names for your buddy list.

Nice play...you definitely had the outs!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When a poor player vents, validate his feelings. You don't want him objectively evaluating his play.

DavidC
03-08-2005, 04:36 PM
nice post! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have no idea what it's in reference to (Yes, I know what the Spanish Inquisition was, but this sounds more like Monty Python), though.

Edit: Woot, I was right! Man, I missed SO much being born in the 80's. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
The sun shines even on a dog's ass.

DavidC
03-08-2005, 04:39 PM
You need to find a more original user name.

Dave H. is kinda bland.

Dave H.
03-08-2005, 05:06 PM
ya mean like PokeHer4me...or DavidH...lol

Bartleby
03-08-2005, 05:22 PM
I never defend my play. I never explain myself. I am seldom criticized or called a fish; but, when I am, I apologize and say I was listening to the Grateful Dead and got distracted.

Sometime later I might ask "coach, how was my playing". Normally I like to keep below the radar and give as little information on myself as possible....

I want their money not their good opinion of me.

Catt
03-08-2005, 10:03 PM
I don't remember the hand, but I suspect it was something like me drawing to my flush on the river:

Abusive: focking moron, everytime the morons suck out
Me: ty, nh
Abusive: idiot

Next hand starts.

Clueless Idiot: don't get worked up about it; just take his money
Abusive: yeah - just too many focking morons on Party
Clueless Idiot: stupid play loses money

I lose next hand when I fold the turn HU.

Abusive: great, well-played
Me: ty
Abusive: I love it when focking morons lose their money
Bystander: be nice

Abusive, with ~$250 at a 2/4 table, rebuys and now has ~$550 at the table.

Me: dude, you're the chip leader.
Me: Awesome!
Abusive: What, have you lost all your money moron?

I win a hand when someone folds to my turn bet.

Abusive: How can you fold to a focking moron?
Abusive: he's a moron - don't fold, just take his money.
Me: and its spelt "moran" genuis

[pause]

Clueless Idiot: OMG you're an idiot
Clueless Idiot: it is not
Clueless Idiot: it is not "moran" it is "moron" moron
Abusive: lmao, I guess there's no getting under your skin
Abusive: hoped you'd play worse; lots of people do when I jump on them
Me: most players like a friendly atmosphere
Clueless Idiot: you are sooo retarded

Some 3 or 4 hands later.

Clueless Idiot: and its "genius" not "genuis"
Clueless Idiot: Classic -- "its spelt moran genuis"

Over the course of 45 minutes or so, I actually chat a bit about non-poker things, in just about all cases using correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar (or correcting it right away). "Abusive" has not berated me or any other players at the table since the initial exchanges.

Then I take down a big pot from Clueless Idiot.

Clueless Idiot: lol, even "morans" gotta win I guess
Clueless Idiot: "its spelt moran genuis"
Clueless Idiot: what a classic
Clueless Idiot: you are so retarded
Clueless Idiot: unbelievable

Dead
03-08-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me: dude, you're the chip leader.
Me: Awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO!

http://img207.exs.cx/img207/1605/pwned9fl.jpg

Nomad84
03-08-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

How is 43s stronger than 53s? I mean, neither is great, but either one can only make straights from A-5 up to 3-7, so 53s is stronger just based on a higher card, right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

JDErickson
03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so it's not a disastrous pre-flop call

[/ QUOTE ]

At a very loose passive table like this is would almost be a sin not to play this from the CO.

bottomset
03-09-2005, 12:53 AM
taunting is much more fun in live games

I was playing 3/6, it was a superweak table, always 4handed or more, about 60% of the time it was 6,7,8 handed

i get KK in the CO raise 2limpers, its about 3hrs into the session same players, get called by the big blind(very weak player on his 3/4th rebuy at this point), 4handed to the flop(they were a little tighter against me) it was rags, and checked to me I bet, BBcalls as does 1limper, turn another rag checked again to me, I bet only the BB calls, river is another blank check,bet,call .. BB flips over AA to my dismay

I stack off 12chips(bare minimum extra he coulda won from me), ask the guy's name and address and tell him I'll mail him the rest of his pot if he ever grows some balls

vulturesrow
03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Abusive: How can you fold to a focking moron?
Abusive: he's a moron - don't fold, just take his money.
Me: and its spelt "moran" genuis

[/ QUOTE ]

You, my friend, are a genius. My hat is off to you.

GrunchCan
03-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Huleriyus

bos
03-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Speaking of fish, last night this total ass at one table starts calling everyone fish. Now, there were indeed some fish at the table, but this guy was knocking some of the tighter players as well. He is the villian in the following hand, and fish is one of the players he was haranguing, an LA-P with 65%/20%/0.8.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3: (villian) calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB: (fish) raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3: (villian) calls, CO calls.

: (sitting out) going to put [villian] on my buddy list
[bystander]: I took a lot of his chips
UTG: lol
[bystander]: (upon seeing the PF raise) woohoo!

[b]Flop: (9 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">fish bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, CO folds, fish calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">fish bets</font>, UTG folds, villian calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">fish bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">fish 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian caps</font>, fish calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
fish has 7d 7c (full house, sevens full of nines).
MP1 doesn't show.
MP2 doesn't show.
villian has 9s Js (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: fish wins 17.50 BB. </font>

[Villian] has left the table.

reubenf
03-09-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is 12 outs not enough equity against 3 opponents? Not that I think you have 12 outs when they all call in that hand.

Vern
03-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Three opponents means that you are putting 25% in. With 12 outs on the turn, you are 12/46th's likely to hit your 12 outs (26%) so if all 12 were to the nuts, great, but since many are not, you cannot say that 100% of the time that I hit one of these 12 cards I will win the pot, so pumping the turn is wrong. Give yourself an OESFD with two overcards and you can start pumping the turn against 2 opponents.

Vern

Standard Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert at any of this.

reubenf
03-09-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Three opponents means that you are putting 25% in. With 12 outs on the turn, you are 12/46th's likely to hit your 12 outs (26%) so if all 12 were to the nuts, great, but since many are not, you cannot say that 100% of the time that I hit one of these 12 cards I will win the pot, so pumping the turn is wrong. Give yourself an OESFD with two overcards and you can start pumping the turn against 2 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd argue that means you haven't properly counted (and discounted) your outs, not that 12 outs isn't enough. Like I said, I don't think he has 12 outs here.