PDA

View Full Version : Beating the weak/passive player heads up in a tournament?

fatdave
03-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Say you're heads up in a tournament... How do you play against an opponent that will call pot-sized bets with 2nd pair to the river?

Also, how do you play if the passive player usually just calls pre-flop and rarely ever raises, whether they have AA or 89?

Dealing with playing heads up against passive players is starting to become one of my biggest trouble areas. What's a good strategy?

Obviously it's good to have them call down with 2nd pair when you have top pair, but it's very frustrating when they call with 2nd pair to the river against your (whatever).

Obviously, if you're playing against an aggressive player (like me, I guess), you just sit back and let them shoot themselves in the foot).

But how do you beat the calling stations?

Example:

Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 2
Seat 10: Hero ( $37640 )
Seat 7: Villian ( $19360 )
Level:11 - Blinds (400/800)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5h Jh ]
Villian calls [400].
Hero checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2h, 7h, Jc ]
Hero bets [800].
Villian calls [800].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ]
Hero bets [3200].
Villian calls [3200].
** Dealing River ** [ 7c ]
Hero bets [6400].
Villian calls [6400].
Hero shows [ 5h, Jh ] a pair of jacks.
Villian shows [ Kd, 7d ] three of a kind, sevens.
Villian wins 21600 chips from the main pot three of a kind, sevens.

Superfluous Man
03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
You bet hands like middle pair and top pair/weak kicker for value against calling stations. This looks like a not-too-cleverly disguised bad beat post to me.

raptor517
03-08-2005, 04:42 AM
agreed, nothing you can do there. he sucked out, happens a bajillion times a day. holla

fatdave
03-08-2005, 05:12 AM
Nah, not really a bad beat post. The problem is that I was heads up against this guy for an hour. I'd get up to 40K in chips to his 17K, then it's even back out to around 30K to 27K, then back up and down.

My aggressiveness allowed me to dwindle him down to 17K, but it's hard to tell when he is chasing a flush draw, calling with a medium pair, or slowplaying a monster.

The only thing I can think of us... be aggressive for a while, then tighten up a lot for a while, and then come back with aggression in full force again.

03-08-2005, 05:15 AM
It did look an awful lot like a bad beat post. Value bet the guy to death and bluff very little if at all.

Gavin