PDA

View Full Version : raise or go for overcalls on turn and river?

MarkGritter
03-08-2005, 03:16 AM
Pacific Poker 0.50/1.00, 9-handed

Reads: Most are unknowns. Table is playing very loosely.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG folds, 3 callers, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB raises, 7 calls.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (16 SB, 8 players)

5 checks, Hero bets, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif (10.5BB, 5 players)

3 checks, MP2 bets, Hero...?

First decision point: Do I raise or go for overcalls here? I'm not worried about straight draws here. If I raise I can expect to pick up 2 more BB from MP3. I could easily get those 2BB from other players now and raise the turn to get another BB from him. I decide to call.

Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

River: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (14.5 BB, 4 players)

2 checks, MP2 calls, Hero ...?

Second decision: go for overcalls again in hopes of picking up more than 1BB, or raise and try to get one from MP2? The river is unlikely to help anyone, so I can't expect a later call or a raise based on that. But the big blind might be calling down with a big pair and call one more.

istewart
03-08-2005, 03:37 AM
I raise the turn. I think this would make this decision a bit clearer /images/graemlins/wink.gif

caggin
03-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Hmmm...tough one. I think I raise the turn. Someone may have picked up a flush draw or straight draw and I want to make them pay for it. Maybe you'll get lucky and MP2 will 3 bet. On the river, it's a pretty raggedy board, I don't know what people could possible call with. I'd go ahead and raise it.

wax311
03-08-2005, 03:46 AM
I think the overcall is great on the turn. With 3 players behind you to act, it'll pick up more BB than raising and bring more players to the river.

There are two players to act after your decision on the turn, and the pot's pretty big. I'd say raise here. You'll be guaranteed at least 1BB from MP2 - there's a possibility he'll 3-bet allowing you to cap. Going for overcalls you loose this possibility unless one of the two players behind you raises. Also, because the pot is big, you might get one or both of the players behind you to call two bets on the river. That's another possibility that you miss if you go for overcalls.

If you go for overcalls, you'll get 2 bets at most unless one raises, which won't happen often. Frequently one person will fold because they were drawing to god knows what. If one folds, you'll be better off having raised.

MarkGritter
03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I thought about the flush possibilities but it seemed most likely that it was MP2 who picked up the draw, since he woke up on the turn.

DBG
03-08-2005, 01:00 PM
With the str8 & flush draws on the turn I would also raise to protect your hand. Of course, if you do that he won't lead on the river. Bet the river & if you get raised I would re-raise. I don't see anything out there that can beat you.

McGahee
03-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I think this is the ideal spot for overcalls. The board is relatively ragged, and your set is unlikely to get outdrawn. Plus you have a good chance to build a big pot; and it is not yet huge since nobody raised PF.

gvibes
03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I think I raise this preflop - am I a LAG?

CourtJester
03-08-2005, 02:00 PM
raise the turn, it protects and the pot is big so you might even get a cold caller, raise the river.

Entity
03-08-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I raise this preflop - am I a LAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it's a pretty easy preflop raise for me.

Rob

flair1239
03-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I would raise the turn. I don't really care if the other 2 call or not. The pot is big enough, where I would like to win it right now anyway. But if they call 2-cold, it does not look like any of them have proper odds to draw anyway.

On the river without knowing anything about the other players I would raise. Your best case scenario with calling is you pick up 2 more BB. With raising you are most likely guaranteed 1-bb from MP1 and have a possbility of one of the other players calling 2-cold. Which at .5/1 any king will probably do.