PDA

View Full Version : How to get value from bottom set on a 2-club flop?

weekapaugz
03-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Hi -- unsure how to get the hand history from PokerRoom, but I've got around 50k, average stack about 30k. We're already in the money (421 started, 20 left) and two lower stacks (around 30k each) are in this hand with me. I know I'll get slayed for not knowing the details, but with a big blind of 1200, I call a raise to 3200 with 44 in EP (also this is a shorthanded table). We see a flop of Jc 4c 8d. I'm first to act, I bet 6k. The other two players fold.

Sorry this was such a remedial post, but I'm still finishing the tourney, but looking for advice. Thanks for all help.

kuro
03-08-2005, 02:58 AM
I'd have played it the same way. You might have got more money out of it by going for a check-raise, but if it got checked through and a club hit on the turn you'd want to throw up.

03-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Meh, not really... If someone has 2 clubs, they're probably gonna bet the flop anyways. A club on the turn is NBD.

Gavin

betgo
03-08-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I call a raise to 3200 with 44 in EP (also this is a shorthanded table). We see a flop of Jc 4c 8d. I'm first to act, I bet 6k.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right you don't have all the facts. If you called a raise, you cannot be first to act.

If anyone has anything, they will call your flop bet. I'm not that crazy about checkraising the flop. That's a good play if you are up against a flush draw, but you might just get someone to fold that way. I would probably play it they way you did, and make a 1/2 pot + bet. If you slowplay, you are hoping a high card hits on the turn or someone bluffs at the pot.

schwza
03-08-2005, 12:23 PM
this sounds like a fold pre-flop. if everyone promised they weren't going to reraise behind you, it'd be a marginal call (maybe), but with the chance for a reraise, gotta dump it.

weekapaugz
03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
thank you for all of your help. i made this post in the heat of the tournament i was in, so i couldn't get all of the information down. anyways, i'll try to get the history (i saved the number) but i ended up cashing for 2nd in that tournament thanks to a lot of 2+2 help.