PDA

View Full Version : Two hands for analysis

sofere
03-08-2005, 02:19 AM
Buy-ins are $22 PokerStars

I have a very hard time getting away from AA and seem to lose all my chips way too often when I have to play postflop...please flame my play as much as necessary (or until you stop having fun with it).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1274)
UTG (t3955)
MP1 (t1415)
MP2 (t3295)
CO (t1118)
Button (t1068)
Hero (t1375)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t30, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, BB calls t90, UTG calls t90, MP1 calls t90.

Flop: (t480) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t390</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t3835</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls t865 (All-In).

Turn: (t5570) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t5570) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5570

My thinking was the massive overbet could be overpair, TPGK, Set. Weak made flush probably won't call 120 bet. Strong made flush probably would try and draw some more out (although King high may make that play).

Pokerstove:
Hand 1: 55.7801 % [ 00.54 00.02 ] { AsAh }
Hand 2: 44.2199 % [ 00.42 00.02 ] { AA-TT, 33, AJs, KJs, AJo, KJo }

Looks like it was a poor call. What do you think of the range of hands I put villain on?

I was gonna post a second hand but pokerstoved the stats and realized my play was absolutely disgustingly bad, horrible, and vomit inducing and way too embarassing to post. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SuitedSixes
03-08-2005, 02:24 AM
I think you played it fine against that overbet. These things happen.

Scuba Chuck
03-08-2005, 04:20 AM
mmmmm, is this a bad beat post?

sofere
03-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Absolutely not a bad beat post! Results oriented, yes (but if it weren't for the results I would have never looked back at the hand and would not have learned anything), whining about a bad beat, no. I am questioning my postflop play with AA. Without a paired flop, I am always willing to get all my money in on the flop against one opponent no matter how the betting goes. Even on a monotone board.

I entered my range of hands into pokerstove and found that I am about 55% to win. This is in the 2nd level of a $22, and I just got all my money in on what looks to be a coinflip.

I am trying to see if my assessment of the situation is correct. Looking back, if I had known I was 55/45 to win the hand I would have mucked (just like if I held 88 and villain showed me AK after he pushed me all in).

So I ask again in all sincerity, does the range of hands I put villain on look accurate? Is a call in order?

Edit: As I was willing to call an all-in to a reraise, should I have initially pushed the flop?

Note: Early and 4-tabling so no strong reads, but table had been playing fairly aggressive.

sofere
03-14-2005, 05:48 PM
bump

Scuba Chuck
03-14-2005, 05:57 PM
See current Citanul post

Standard? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1924486&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=)

FWIW, you had to know that you were on a coinflip at best to call his push. And you could do this math without pokerstove. IMO, his worst hand he could have played with is A /images/graemlins/club.gif rag. I often see this type of play with say the Ac and a J, giving him TPTK with the flush draw. (Hard to shake people off of this hand - would you fold if this was your hand?)

Were you ahead on the flop, behind on the turn?

sofere
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Citanuls post is what reminded me of this hand.

It being so early, at the time I thought I may have been up against TPGK with no flush draw, but I think that was just wishful thinking and an excuse not to let go of my aces.

Turned out I was up against a set of 3s with no flush draw.

Scuba Chuck
03-14-2005, 06:14 PM
What makes this hand even more difficult here is that you have a very workable stack if you just elect to not put any more chips in the pot. I can see pushing if you just had 500 chips left.

What makes this hand more like Citanul's is looking at it from villain's point of view, not yours. I would think that any sort of bet, does not represent a flush

Benholio
03-14-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I entered my range of hands into pokerstove and found that I am about 55% to win. This is in the 2nd level of a $22, and I just got all my money in on what looks to be a coinflip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the mistake in this reasoning is not taking into account the pot odds. If you were getting 1:1, it would be a mistake to take a 55% chance. As it stands, you are calling 865 with 2125 in the pot. Thats roughly 2.5:1 pot odds.

lastchance
03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I probably check-fold the flop. With 3 people to act, you're not going to be in a dominating position. Either they have a club or two.

Eder
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What makes this hand more like Citanul's is looking at it from villain's point of view, not yours. I would think that any sort of bet, does not represent a flush

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if a flush a push is most appropriate...many preflop raisers will call here with AA/KK/set thinking a push might be a bluff

Scuba Chuck
03-14-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if a flush a push is most appropriate...many preflop raisers will call here with AA/KK/set thinking a push might be a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little too meta-game for me.

Scuba
(Yugo, did I use it right?)

adanthar
03-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I either push this flop or check looking at action behind (call a push, fold to a bet/raise or bet/2 calls.) Probably push it.

Incidentally, always, and I do mean always, take pot odds into account when figuring out *anything*.