PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's ATHF

ClaytonN
03-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Was the first episode in the series. Wow, what a difference.

I started following ATHF in like season 2, with the moononites and such.

Huge difference. Whoa.

1) Carl's voice is different
2) No Dr. Weird short intro
3) Weird cuts between scenes -> the ATHF graffiti
4) Frylock's voice is different
5) Frylock is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER! He doesn't have the same feel, he just obeys whatever Shake says and acts like the unemotional steely-eyed detective
6) They actually do detective work. Crappy detective work, but they still do it.
7) Different art, sorta

I'm stunned, really.

IronDragon1
03-08-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Huge difference. Whoa.

5) Frylock is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER! He doesn't have the same feel, he just obeys whatever Shake says and acts like the unemotional steely-eyed detective
6) They actually do detective work. Crappy detective work, but they still do it.
7) Different art, sorta

I'm stunned, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad they couldn't make the show less sucky from "The The" on.

I actually think the series peaked around the 4-9th episodes (The first Mooninite to the MC Pee Pants episode). From that point on-with a few exceptions-the series became more about absurdity for the sake of absurdity than actual humor.

Sealab has/is having the exact same problem too.

Rushmore
03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
It's sitting on my DVR right now. I'll go watch it and I'll get back to you.

AngryCola
03-08-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Huge difference. Whoa.

7) Different art, sorta

I'm stunned, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of these things are changed as the first season progresses. Only the first few episodes are like that.

By the end of the first season-

1) Carl's voice has changed to what it's like now.

2) As for Dr. Weird, am I mistaken in thinking that he was in part of the second season? I could be wrong about that. Either way, this didn't change in the first season

3) The graffiti cuts are seriously scaled back

4) Frylock's voice has changed to what it's like now.

5) Frylock takes on his modern ATHF personality after the first few episodes

6) I don't recall them doing actual detective work past the first few shows. There are occasional references to it, but that's about it. On the DVD the creators mention how they had to give the network reasons to actually agree to produce the show. An actual storyline (detectives) was one of those things.

7) If I remember correctly, the art is only like that in the first few episodes, too.

The show changes a lot after the first episode, but that's not really very different from other television series. Just look at what the Simpsons used to look and sound like when it first premiered.

Also, the mooninites are in the 4th episode.

cnfuzzd
03-08-2005, 11:38 AM
This is what happens when you dont follow my advice and purchase all three volumes of the dvd that have been released. You miss stuff. Things fall apart, and before you know it, the tooth fairy is a crazy glue sniffer and your daughters knocked up.

BTW, your list of things that are different is odd. First, the dr wierd nonsense lasted well into season 2. Both carls and Frylocks voices are still done by the same people, but the difference comes about because of different sound equipment plus the actors growing into the voice. Graffiti rocks. Frylock had to learn that shake was a dumbass, and eventually got tired of the nonsense. The detective work, or lack thereof is alluded to in a later episode. It didnt pay well enough. The art was different. They got more money.

Anyone else think that carl is an internet poker pro?

peace

john nickle

AngryCola
03-08-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just see him as a struggling internet gambler.

cnfuzzd
03-08-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just see him as a struggling internet gambler.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call.

peace

john nickle

Rushmore
03-08-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what happens when you dont follow my advice and purchase all three volumes of the dvd that have been released

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny you should mention this.

Just this morning, I purchased all three in Ebay auctions for a total of about $55.00. This way, I no longer have to record them on DVR, sifting through the ones I've already seen, etc.

I will watch them in chronological order, then I will come back here to 2+2, and so help me, I will bump this thread and I will give some goddamned useful feedback.

I know, this will be a first.

Shajen
03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I will watch them in chronological order, then I will come back here to 2+2, and so help me, I will bump this thread and I will give some goddamned useful feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do this and you'll completely ruin everything that's good in this world.

Rushmore
03-08-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do this and you'll completely ruin everything that's good in this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Any "useful feedback" from me at 2+2 can rightly be called The Eighth Seal.

daryn
03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
what happens in this episode exactly? i wonder if i have it on my computer.

IronDragon1
03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Tonight's episodes are 3 and 4
"Bus of the Undead" and "Mayhem of the Mooninites", respectively.

Bus of the Undead=the one where that moth escapes from Dr. Evil's lab and goes onto the ATHF's roof because of a the shake signal. Master Shake convinces Meatwad that it's actually dracula

Mooninites=First appearance of the Mooninites. Nuff Said.

Stork
03-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Best episode is PDA. It's frickin sweet. Seriously.

IronDragon1
03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought PDA sucked a fat one when I first watched it but it's grown on me a bit though.

I can't say it's in my Top three of Volume one (as grouped by the DVDs) episodes though.

ClaytonN
03-08-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what happens in this episode exactly? i wonder if i have it on my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the one where the Rabbot escapes from Dr. Weird's lab and sprays crap all over the place. The spray makes things grow long hair.

Episode two involved some leprachaun-things hiding in a forest and robbing poor people in NJ with a rainbow-beam.

daryn
03-08-2005, 10:37 PM
i just watched the one w/ the leprechauns and didn't notice the any difference in frylock's voice. also carl's was every so slightly different but not really.

Dominic
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
okay, I'll bite....what the hell are you guys talking about???

ClaytonN
03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just watched the one w/ the leprechauns and didn't notice the any difference in frylock's voice. also carl's was every so slightly different but not really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frylock's tone of voice is completely different, and it's much more noticeable in the Rabbot episode.

Instead of the normal Frylock who's usually dissenting the crap Shake does, he's all "Okay, yes I will do that", and "Maybe we should do this instead" in a very low, steely voiced tone. Like a bodyguard or something.

IronDragon1
03-08-2005, 10:42 PM
This (http://www.adultswim.com/shows/athf/index.html)

ClaytonN
03-08-2005, 10:43 PM
For those who care, the two aliens Emory and Oglethorpe are named after private universities in the metro Atlanta area. I live less than 5 minutes away from Oglethorpe, and considered going to Emory.

Stork
03-08-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought PDA sucked a fat one when I first watched it but it's grown on me a bit though.

I can't say it's in my Top three of Volume one (as grouped by the DVDs) episodes though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last line is classic. It's about "Hhehehey, I'm batman too, eh? AAAAAAAAAAH!"
it's about as sweet as ATHF gets, which is pretty f'in sweet.

wonderwes
03-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Pop quiz. Name the first episodes/scenes where the random items exploding was done in the show.

IronDragon1
03-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Give me Shake's ever immortal:
"The Highlander was a documentary and the events happend IN REAL TIME!"

from Dumber Dolls as best ATHF quote ever all day.

Stork
03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
There are too many good ATHF, it really isn't worth bickering over which is best