PDA

View Full Version : Pool

Mikey
09-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Does anyone know about any good books on pool? I find this to be a game much like Poker. A little luck, but you use your skill to minimzie luck. Does anyone know about any good books on how to set up shots places to hit the ball, you know things that will improve your game.

Much appreciated.

JTG51
09-23-2002, 02:15 AM
If you are looking for stuff just about technique, executing shots and stuff, then all of Robert Byrne's books are great. He's written a bunch.

If you are looking for stuff about the mental side of the game, "A Mind For Pool" by Phil Chapelle is good.

Finally, if you are into gambling and pool (which you obviously are) you should really read, "Playing Off the Rail". I don't remember who wrote it. You won't learn anything about how to play the game, but it's really interesting. It's a true story about the writer going across the country staking a top pro player, learning about hustles and gambling. Great book.

baggins
09-23-2002, 05:07 AM
Willie Mosconi on Pocket Billiards.
also, check out the 'GAMES' section at your local B&N or Border's and you'll find a few books on pool. also check out ebay for pool videos. and practice practice practice.

baggins
09-23-2002, 05:08 AM
wanna buy a stick?
i got it for christmas a couple years ago, but then i never play at pool halls anymore, only the bar. and im not bringing a stick into the bar. not a chance in hell. i've used it 5 times. its nice, i think its 21oz, and its made by MinnesotaFats company.

HDPM
09-23-2002, 08:01 AM
Read Byrne's books. For fun read McGoorty. Learn 3-cushion to see what the cue ball is going to do. There should be some billiards players left where you live. Play some one pocket too. Playing 9-ball with modern rules won't advance your game as much.

Phat Mack
09-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Best book on how to hit a ball with a cue was "How I Play Snooker," or something like that, by English champion Joe Davis. Only for those who think fundementals are important.

Byrnes's book gives a good overview of several games, including HDPM's beloved 3-cushion. I see his videos at a discount all the time. Might be worth checking out.

Ask good players who the soundest players in your area are, then watch their games. You'll absorb a lot by osmosis. Make sure you are watching players with good strokes. An hour watching Buddy Hall will do wonders, an hour watching Allen Hopkins will set you back a couple of years. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

HDPM
09-23-2002, 12:51 PM
The only time I saw Hall play in person I only learned that it is very easy to run 7 or 8 racks of 9-ball when all you have is easy shots with the cue ball within 2 feet of the object ball. Anybody can make easy old shots like that. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

If I ever get to play again I might have to get that Davis book. I never figured out how to hit a ball with a cue very well. Maybe when my wife gets us a house with a table in it.

Jimbo
09-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Hi Mikey,

I give professional pool lessons on the side and have substantial credentials. I recommend the Byrne books as well but as for technique or advanced strategy on a game by game basis I recommend personal training. I know people in many areas of the country so I may be able to refer someone close to you.

You would be surprised at how much better you will become with 5 days of professional "in person" instruction. I assure you anyone you can not quite beat today if you have the basic skill set required inside of a week you will be able to dominate them on a regular basis. I know this sounds like one of those weight loss commercials but I have seen it work many times.

Best Regards,

Jimbo

PS: I played pool for a living from 1974 thru 1990.

Phat Mack
09-23-2002, 01:17 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Anybody can make easy old shots like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad the Lad watching Handsome Danny Jones: "He ain't that good, it's just that all his shots are cookies!"

Phat Mack
09-23-2002, 01:24 PM
After playing for 25 years I finally broke down and took a lesson. For the first hour we put a ball 12" directly in front of a side pocket, put the cueball on the center spot. I shot it in and we worked on basics. My game jumped several levels.

HDPM
09-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Might take you up on this if I ever start playing again. I'd be better if I could make a ball.

Graham
09-28-2002, 12:47 PM
HDPM: "Maybe when my wife gets us a house with a table in it."

Spoken like a true poker player... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif