PDA

View Full Version : Team choose your own adventure (must vote by midnight on Tue)

jon_1van
03-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey...I had an idea. How about we have a team choose your own adventure (hopefully someone knows the kids books I'm refering to)

You are playing 5/10 stud on Party
You are at a full table.

You are dealt (KK)3 rainbow. All your Ks and 3s are live.

You are the Bring-in

The cards behind you are (x , x , Q , J , x , A , x) where x is a low/medium card.

You hear your computer prompts you with a beep. You are currently playing another hand so you don't think hard (you better not)...

Michael Emery
03-08-2005, 02:01 AM
I've never been a big fan of bringing in hands like this for full bets. The main reason why is you lose your chance to trap a ante stealer in many situations.

Mike Emery

grb137
03-08-2005, 02:33 AM
I like it. How fun.

My vote was easy - if you bring in for the full amount and the Ace calls, you're not sure where you stand.

Andy B
03-08-2005, 02:43 AM
You're not?

grb137
03-08-2005, 02:08 PM
you are?

Bartholow
03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
In the 20/40 on Party which is the only stud I've played in a long time, you're not. Most often they don't have the aces, but a lot of the good players occasionally would just call with a pair of aces there.

Of course, you don't know where you're at if you bring in for the minimum and the ace just calls either.

Andy B
03-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Seems to me that most players will make it two bets with split Aces most of the time. If the Ace just calls the full bet, you should be ahead most of the time, shouldn't you?

grb137
03-08-2005, 11:46 PM
thats just it....split aces might NOT raise. I've seen it plenty of times from good guys who are mixing up play, and weak tight guys fearing trips. I, for one, would have to admit that I'd probably not raise it if there has been at least one caller and the BI is a decent player. Guess I'm weak tight (although I'd bet it out on 4th and see if he raises)

Andy B
03-09-2005, 02:34 AM
How many "good" players do you run into on Party?

Having the caller is all the more reason for split Aces to raise.

highfidelity
03-09-2005, 06:52 AM
I'd go ahead and make it the full bet in order to create a little confusion with the players behind me. If the ace raises he could easily just be testing you to see how he stands, since you are after all raising into a board full of overcards with a 3 doorcard. I think the player with the ace can raise with any 3-flush or hidden pair, which wouldn't put you in too bad of shape. plus, the queen and jack might call the full bet simply because you had a three as a doorcard. Also, if the ace catches bad on fourth, a third street raise might help you get a free card. Plus, even more so, if the ace is on any kind of high card draw you know that two kings, a queen and a jack are gone already. I still stick by the raise.

Andy B
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't think that bringing it in for a full bet is going to create confusion for your opponents. There are three big live cards out there, so you ought to have a little something to bring it in for a full bet. If I were to bring it in for a full bet in this scenario, I would most likely have a pair of Queens or Jacks, maybe Aces. If you bring it in for the minimum, your hand is harder to read.

I voted to bring it in for the minimum, but I wouldn't automatically re-raise when it comes back to me.

MickeyT
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I like the concept...choose your own adventure.

I'd go for the single bring-in. In fact, I only usually go the double bet bring in when I have a small pair and good kicker (A or K) so that I can minimise the number of opponents and hopefully get it heads-up. Is there any other situation where you'd want to bring in with a double bet?