PDA

View Full Version : Two cold calling hands - 99

pokerstudAA
03-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Two hands I cold called preflop raises with 99. If I should call with 99 - should I consider calling in these hands with smaller pocket pairs? What mid/small pocket pairs would you be calling these raises with if any 22+ 66 88+ or different ranges? None?

HAND 1:
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

With one cold call in between and the blinds likely to come along - I cold call. Getting about 5:1 here. Looking at this hand - I dont call less than 99+ here and 3-bet with JJ+. Possibly fold?

Flop: (10 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Dump it. Any pair QQ- no good here.

HAND 2:
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Getting real good odds on a call here too with alot of player involved in the hand. Good call? I might consider calling here with 66+???

Flop: (11.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Given that action - I am not the only overpair out there. Another easy fold.

pokerstudAA
03-08-2005, 01:53 AM
El Bumpo. This is a serious cry for help......

MoodyA
03-08-2005, 03:04 AM
I'll take a stab at it...This maybe no where near correct but depending on the rating of your preflop raiser I would either fold or reraise...I think cold calling is rarely correct in this situation as you get no respect from the table and you gain no information on your hand. In both situations the chance to isolate is already lost but don't forget about the importance of limiting the field. The second example presents a better oportunity for a reraise as there are already people in the pot and you can force them to cold call 2 more. your pot equity is obviously high in the second example and a reraise could be for value, as well as the respect that might have slowed down the heavy action before it got to you. this position is huge in this hand I would love to bet the flop on both hands no matter what fell and check/bet the turn depending on the card and the players. betting the turn may get you a free showdown, but a reraise would be an obvious release, checking the turn allows you to see the river for free and make a play depending on the action from there.

you get to do none of these things because nobody respects your aggression before the flop.

Alexthegreat
03-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Unless you have reads, I would:

3-bet the first hand...An open-raise from middle position is usually a pretty wide range of hands, and you should make it clear that you aren't going to give up the button that easily...I think the presence of the CO calling makes this a pretty standard raise in my opinion...(you may get a free look at the turn as well, which is good)

The second hand is an absolutely easy call, I'm not folding any PP after 2 limpers, a raise and a cold call if I'm the CO or the Button...Some players may say you should muck 55-22, but you are going to have to flop a set to win in this situation with just about any PP lower than TT, so don't throw away your low PPs...