PDA

View Full Version : early AQ hand from a Party 10+1

Slim Pickens
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
These hands have been giving me some trouble. It's not so much that I lose with them, I just can't figure out the best way to play them. Button has been loose-passive so far, as has MP1.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t952)
Hero (t775)
Button (t885)
SB (t525)
BB (t845)
UTG (t1045)
UTG+1 (t2433)
MP1 (t540)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t115</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t267.50) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t65</font>, Hero calls t65.

Turn: (t397.50) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t397.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: t397.50

Allinlife
03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
preflop mucking AQ lv 1 isn't so bad

you probably should have mucked it to preflop reraise

flop call isn't so bad either, since you are either way ahead or way behind.

make 1/2 potsized bet on turn, and fold to reraise.

river is a check/ call depending on size of the bet I think.

I suck at postflop play too, and I am always open to better way to play this hand as well.

willperkins
03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
I am not nearly as good as a lot of players on this site, but concerning the preflop bet, I would have limped in and folded to the BB's agression.

The blinds are way too low and the pot way too small for me to be getting into a battle with AQo.

IMHO

Slim Pickens
03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not nearly as good as a lot of players on this site,

[/ QUOTE ]
...but you're probably better than I am.

[ QUOTE ]
but concerning the preflop bet, I would have limped in and folded to the BB's agression.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my usual play actually, but I've been finding that I tend to win more chips raising it preflop early as long as I don't bust on it. AA, KK, QQ, or AK usually reraise more than the min, and I'm getting 3:1 on my call to close the action and see a flop. I'd make an implied odd argument too, but it clearly wouldn't hold up since I don't know how to get chips when I do turn form a slight underdog to a huge favorite.

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds are way too low and the pot way too small for me to be getting into a battle with AQo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. He priced me into seeing the flop, and I felt like a sucker for about the two seconds between my call and the flop. Happy for me it worked out, but it's a misplay for sure.

1C5
03-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Why did you check on the Flop after hitting your ace? What flop would have you bet out on? AQ? You have to bet here to at least see where you stand. Something along 3/4 of the pot should work to see where you stand.

Slim Pickens
03-08-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check on the Flop after hitting your ace?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are Monsters Under My Bed. I can't imagine any re-raising hand that I now have beat that would call with an ace on board, but I'm just giving him a free chance to draw out by checking. On the other hand, throw a typical 10+1 player second pair and watch him hang himself on the turn. As it turned out, I was up against pocket jacks.

lastchance
03-08-2005, 12:12 AM
I'd lead flop, but your line seems fine.

microbet
03-08-2005, 12:28 AM
The thing I really don't like is the play on the flop. You have neither a monster, nor a draw, so check/call is definately not the answer.

I would bet at least half the pot on the flop. If I accidentally checked and then he made that little bet, I'd raise to about a full pot. If he had bet about 3/4 the pot or more, I'd fold unless I'd seem him get goofy before.

Preflop I'd generally raise to about 50, but I don't think folding in the first round is too bad. Though from CO it is pretty scared.