PDA

View Full Version : Premature balding

Isura
03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok, I'm 23 years and 11 months. Last weekend I go to visit my parents, and my mother and grandmother claim that my hairline is receeding from the last time I saw them? What the [censored]. I didn't notice it until they pointed it out. What the hell can I do now. Am I too young for rogaine? Maybe I should eat better? Suggestions please. Any way for a reversal?

stabn
03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
The answer is here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1842843&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post1863361)

TStoneMBD
03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
get breast implants, that will take some of the attention of your head.

Brainwalter
03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I wanted to post the same question. I'm 21, and there is a definite balding spot in the usual place. I also don't eat too well.

terrapin314
03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
It's largely genetic.

The only two confirmed treatments that are nonsurgical are Rogaine and Propecia.

If you start now, you can greatly slow and possibly stop any loss that has started. Your hairline at 30 will be fine, but you don't want it worse.

Another tip: If you can get your physician to write you a prescription for Proscar (same stuff as propecia, but comes in much cheaper 5mg tables instead of 1mg propecia), you can save alot of dough. The crooked companies charge more for 1/5 the dosage. You can then quarter the tablets with a pill cutter and really save some money.

antidan444
03-07-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm in the same boat (just turned 25 in February and have lost significant hair up front and a smaller amount in the back), but it doesn't bother me too much.

I'm not sure what to recommend, really ... Guess I'm not much help in that regard. But you're certainly not the only one your age who's dealing with this, if that's comforting.

Soul Daddy
03-07-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another tip: If you can get your physician to write you a prescription for Proscar (same stuff as propecia, but comes in much cheaper 5mg tables instead of 1mg propecia), you can save alot of dough. The crooked companies charge more for 1/5 the dosage. You can then quarter the tablets with a pill cutter and really save some money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used Propecia when I started balding, around 23, and it worked great. Problem was I couldn't afford it at the time. I don't really care now because I looks good as a bald man, but this advice would've been great in my more insecure days.

nothumb
03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Suck it up. My hairline was receding before I was old enough to vote. Know what I did? Went on with my life.

Get your pipe game straight and forget your 'do.

NT

TStoneMBD
03-07-2005, 10:31 PM
as a straight metrosexual myself, i find a full head of hair on a male fabulous.

nothumb
03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Sure, having hair is nice, but having self-confidence and not paying ludicrous amounts of money for a self-indulgent, cosmetic medical treatment is nicer. Seriously, we spend more time on stupid cosmetic medicine than can possibly be justified.

Boner pills and hair growth and fake titties... medical miracles of the 21st century so far. Awesome.

NT

peachy
03-07-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to post the same question. I'm 21, and there is a definite balding spot in the usual place. I also don't eat too well.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing u can do besides get implants...its mostly genetic...and not much u can do to stop it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brainwalter
03-07-2005, 10:58 PM
F that. If there was something simple/something I should do anyway that would prevent it, I'm all for that, but I'm not going to go to great lengths over it.

daryn
03-07-2005, 10:59 PM
being bald isn't tough. it's going bald that sucks.

tdarko
03-07-2005, 11:02 PM
great post b/c it is 100% true.

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Hair is overrated.

"God is great, God is fair
He gave some brains and others hair"

/images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ilya
03-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Way I see it, balding at 24 isn't premature --it's just somewhat uncommon. Not even "rare," I wouldn't say.

Go for the Yul Brenner.

peachy
03-08-2005, 12:12 AM
i think some bald guys r super HOT

tdarko
03-08-2005, 12:39 AM
bruce willis gets more play than all the guys on 2+2 combined and he is bald, its all about how you carry yourself.

nothumb
03-08-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bruce willis gets more play than all the guys on 2+2 combined

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Not even really a possibility. There have to be at least 5 guys on this forum (and I'm one) who are in a relationship and get it, if not whenever we want, at least often enough to keep us happy. Are you saying Bruce Willis has greater than 5x the sex drive of the average 24 year old, and also gets laid whenever he wants? He wouldn't even have time to make movies.

Now, if you talk quality, I would bet Bruce Willis has bagged some primo tail, tail most internet trolls would be lucky to beat off to once in their life. But Bruce Willis is also rich.

NT

Isura
03-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I'm not really too keen to go to any great medical lengths to cover up my melon. I'm not sure, but the drug system here in Canada is different from the US, so this kind of treatment might be free (I haven't checked though). I feel like a complete hypocrit even considering drugs, since I always tease my GF when she talks about getting botox (correct spelling?) when she's older.

I have the nuts though: My grandfather was bald AND my dad has had 99% grey hair since he was about 30. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Isura
03-08-2005, 01:14 AM
I hear where you're coming from. I've never really been one to worry about superficial appearances. It's just that this thing has had me tripping out since I realized it.

nothumb
03-08-2005, 01:27 AM
I say receding in front is way better than thinning in back. And if you hadn't noticed, it couldn't be that much.

I don't know what dietary changes you can make, but eating better never hurt.

Also, when washing your hair, massage the scalp thoroughly. Not so vigorously as to make it rough on your scalp but give it a lot of stimulation. Some hairdresser told me this.

NT

thatpfunk
03-08-2005, 01:34 AM
According to my dermatologist these is absolutely nothing you can do, it is purely genetics.

Isura
03-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Yeah, it is receeding in the front. I hope I don't get thinning in the back for a long time.

terrapin314
03-08-2005, 10:03 PM
My last post on this issue - if you start meds now, you will likely slow or stop your hair loss and keep your natural hair. These are not snakeoil, but FDA approved treatments and both are safe.

If it bothers you, then do something about it. Do not be concerned about what others say that you should or should be doing or feeling. It is your scalp, after all. Unfortunately, baldness has a stigma in our society.