PDA

View Full Version : Check Raising

se2schul
03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
This is a $22. I had watched UTG bullying early and he had just doubled up with a junk hand against some other guy who also had a junk hand.

I felt based on the few hands that I saw this guy play that I rated to be ahead after the flop. I figured him for any Ace or overcards. I knew he'd bet and that he might even push. Was this check raise risky? Should I have played it differently? I usually don't take such big risks early...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t450)
CO (t770)
Button (t725)
SB (t520)
Hero (t800)
UTG (t1640)
UTG+1 (t745)
MP1 (t1350)
MP2 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t55.

Flop: (t147.50) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, Hero reraises all-in, UTG folds.

Final Pot: t297.50

swarm
03-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Pretty Standard on a an over-aggressive player, I don't know if you need to re-raise all in though.

illab
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Well it must not have gone well or you wouldnt have mentioned it. I don't think its a bad play, you got the aggressive player to bet into to you and 90% of the time you will be ahead with JJ. I usually bet then make a turn check raise, but I understand your move since the other player made the pre-flop raise he'll probably make a continuation bet. I don't think you need to go allin right away, it protects against an overcard helping him on the turn but you just need to make a large enough raise to make him a little more pot comitted if he calls.

pooh74
03-07-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it must not have gone well or you wouldnt have mentioned it. I don't think its a bad play, you got the aggressive player to bet into to you and 90% of the time you will be ahead with JJ. I usually bet then make a turn check raise, but I understand your move since the other player made the pre-flop raise he'll probably make a continuation bet. I don't think you need to go allin right away, it protects against an overcard helping him on the turn but you just need to make a large enough raise to make him a little more pot comitted if he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i think villain folded right?

I wouldve raised to 450 but with those stack sizes all-in is fine too (I play on stars where with this blind level you'd still be "deeper")

good play.

Irieguy
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
I like your play just fine. JJ as an overpair isn't a great hand with which to play out of position against an aggressive player, so go ahead and get your chips in with the best of it on the flop.

He won't call, and that's fine. You're not likely to get any more money out of him unless he hits, and if he hits you're no longer ahead.

Good play, or at least... that's how I'd play it.

Irieguy

mcpherzen
03-07-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty Standard on a an over-aggressive player, I don't know if you need to re-raise all in though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here. Check-raise him significantly, but not all-in. You don't really mind the action, should he call. But, since your hand is going to be very difficult to play should any of 3 overcards come on the turn, you aren't terribly disappointed by a fold either. Not going all-in with your check-raise generally shows more strength than going all-in. If you make it, say, $400, it looks like you're welcoming additional action, while the all-in push usually screams "please don't call me."

Against this particular opponent, you rate to be well-ahead on that flop most of the time. I'll bet if you smooth-call here and check the turn to him, he'll probably put a whole bunch more in the pot (fish always do, don't they?). So, I think you could also go for a bigger score here by slow-playing the flop and planning to check-raise all-in on the turn (keeping your fingers crossed, or course, that the A, K, or Q doesn't come on 4th street).

--mcpherzen

NegativeEV
03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Against this particular opponent, you rate to be well-ahead on that flop most of the time. I'll bet if you smooth-call here and check the turn to him, he'll probably put a whole bunch more in the pot (fish always do, don't they?). So, I think you could also go for a bigger score here by slow-playing the flop and planning to check-raise all-in on the turn (keeping your fingers crossed, or course, that the A, K, or Q doesn't come on 4th street).

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Pot is 285, Hero has JJ on an undercard board, Hero's stack is 745 and this is first round of a $22. I'm CR all in here........ no?

se2schul
03-07-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it must not have gone well or you wouldnt have mentioned it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it worked perfectly, but that doesn't mean it was a good play. I've played very straightforward poker up until now, concentrating mostly on basic stuff like position, the gap, calling standards, stealing, reading players etc. I just thought it was time to add a few moves to my repetoir.

I just wanted to make clear that this is not a bad beat post of any kind.

Thanks for the input!

se2schul
03-07-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually i think villain folded right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folded like a lawn chair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptor517
03-07-2005, 09:38 PM
well, i think checkraising all in with JJ on that board against an agressive player IS actually prety straightforward /images/graemlins/wink.gif nice play holla