PDA

View Full Version : Karma

kipin
03-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Up until today I never actually believed in karma, sure I would joke about it, but I never actually believed, then I went shopping at Best Buy today.

At the checkout line, I handed the cashier my credit card, and my ID, (My ID is always needed since I don't have the back of my card signed). I then proceeded to make a wavy motion on the digital signature pad. She then asked me for my ID again (she had already handed both cards back) and she asked me to "use my real signature". I replied that is my real signature, after all, that should be all that is needed since she has already seen both my ID and credit card, and they obviously match up.

She then clears the screen and tells me to "sign it again, using your real signature", so I make the signature more wavy and pronounced. She gets all pissy, I make the comment "It's not like you are going to get fired, you already checked my ID", she then grumbles and I walk out the door smiling.

Then the karma hits me, I get to my car, turn the key and the starter is dead. Go me. Way to be a jackass and bring negative karma to yourself. I sit in my car for about an hour turning the key randomly when it finally starts up.

So, do you believe in karma, or was it just a statistical anomaly that occured to me today?

stabn
03-07-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Up until today I never actually believed in karma, sure I would joke about it, but I never actually believed, then I went shopping at Best Buy today.

At the checkout line, I handed the cashier my credit card, and my ID, (My ID is always needed since I don't have the back of my card signed). I then proceeded to make a wavy motion on the digital signature pad. She then asked me for my ID again (she had already handed both cards back) and she asked me to "use my real signature". I replied that is my real signature, after all, that should be all that is needed since she has already seen both my ID and credit card, and they obviously match up.

She then clears the screen and tells me to "sign it again, using your real signature", so I make the signature more wavy and pronounced. She gets all pissy, I make the comment "It's not like you are going to get fired, you already checked my ID", she then grumbles and I walk out the door smiling.

Then the karma hits me, I get to my car, turn the key and the starter is dead. Go me. Way to be a jackass and bring negative karma to yourself. I sit in my car for about an hour turning the key randomly when it finally starts up.

So, do you believe in karma, or was it just a statistical anomaly that occured to me today?

[/ QUOTE ]

The starter was dead before you were a jackass.

PeeWeeH
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Sounds to me like you're just a chump who doesn't have his [censored] together and this is reflected in nearly everything that happens to you...

PeeWee

kipin
03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I actually a jackass for refusing to make a "real signature".

She saw my ID (twice), she saw my credit card, why the [censored] does she need some scribbly lines that look like letters, as opposed to sine waves?

ilya
03-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Why don't you sign the back of your credit card? It doesn't seem like a very effective security precaution.

stabn
03-07-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I actually a jackass for refusing to make a "real signature".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Way to be a jackass and bring negative karma to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You called yourself a jackass...

B Dids
03-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Probably because Best Buy requires something there.

You are blaming the wrong person here, and being needlessly difficult by not having your card signed.

GuyOnTilt
03-07-2005, 06:07 PM
I make jokes about karma too, but I wouldn't say I "believe" in it per se. It would be nice if people were rewarded for their good deeds and punished for their dicked ones, and I try to live my day to day life in line with that philosophy, but not for those exact reasons. It's more because that's what I would want someone to do for me if situations and circumstances were reversed. I've never been a dick or anything, but I've been trying to make a better effort in these areas. On days when I leave my house and go out (which aren't all since I don't work or go to school), I'm trying to do at least one thing out of the ordinary that helps someone else out at some expense to me. Yesterday it was giving the lady two people in front of me $10 at the grocery store 'cause she had put too much in her cart and was having to take things off. Today it's been nothing so far even though I did go out shopping earlier, but I'm playing poker now and might be inside for the rest of the day. : /

GoT

The Goober
03-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Karma is obviously a flawed concept - anyone can see that the distribution of pain in the world is not in proportion the wrongdoings of the people who recieve it (or else you'd have to argue that the ring of coastal cities around the tsunami were just jam-packed with wicked people).

I think there is something to be said, though, about the perception of karma. Clearly, you were carrying some guilt when you got into your car, or else you wouldn't have thought to blame yourself for your starter. Maybe karma is just using random events that are outside of our control in order to provoke a type of introspection - especially about the things that we do to other people, things that become to them events outside of their control? I.e. your treatment of that woman didn't cause your starter to fail, but your starter failing made you realize the way you treated her.

private joker
03-07-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Karma is obviously a flawed concept - anyone can see that the distribution of pain in the world is not in proportion the wrongdoings of the people who recieve it (or else you'd have to argue that the ring of coastal cities around the tsunami were just jam-packed with wicked people).

I think there is something to be said, though, about the perception of karma. Clearly, you were carrying some guilt when you got into your car, or else you wouldn't have thought to blame yourself for your starter. Maybe karma is just using random events that are outside of our control in order to provoke a type of introspection - especially about the things that we do to other people, things that become to them events outside of their control? I.e. your treatment of that woman didn't cause your starter to fail, but your starter failing made you realize the way you treated her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post. Now I have nothing further to add.

Brainwalter
03-07-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you sign the back of your credit card? It doesn't seem like a very effective security precaution.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't sign it, people trying to use it will have to show ID that matches the name on the card, not just copy the signature. It's probably a better precaution than signing it is, although not as good as signing it and writing "SEE ID"

IggyWH
03-07-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I then proceeded to make a wavy motion on the digital signature pad. She then asked me for my ID again (she had already handed both cards back) and she asked me to "use my real signature". I replied that is my real signature, after all, that should be all that is needed since she has already seen both my ID and credit card, and they obviously match up.

She then clears the screen and tells me to "sign it again, using your real signature", so I make the signature more wavy and pronounced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that... but my car started up after that. I hate those damn things because even if I try, it still looks like I was 5 when I signed it.

IggyWH
03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although not as good as signing it and writing "SEE ID"

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate people who do that... because they are always never ready to show you their ID.

I used to work at a sporting goods store during Christmas season for extra money. We'd do $200,000+ in sales on a normal shopping day so with 6 registers, the lines were always backed up. You'd try to get people out as fast as you can and then have some jackass with "SEE ID" on their credit card. You ask them for their ID and they look at you like you're retarded and then take the time to fiddle through their wallet or purse to pull out their ID.

Brainwalter
03-07-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
although not as good as signing it and writing "SEE ID"

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate people who do that... because they are always never ready to show you their ID.

I used to work at a sporting goods store during Christmas season for extra money. We'd do $200,000+ in sales on a normal shopping day so with 6 registers, the lines were always backed up. You'd try to get people out as fast as you can and then have some jackass with "SEE ID" on their credit card. You ask them for their ID and they look at you like you're retarded and then take the time to fiddle through their wallet or purse to pull out their ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's retarded. Personally I doubt all SEE ID people do that, and I don't have a problem with the SEE ID idea, but dipshits who have that and don't have ID ready when they use the card, are pretty worthless obviously.

jimymat
03-07-2005, 08:14 PM
I believe you have a wire lose on your starter or a lose battery cable.

Boris
03-07-2005, 08:56 PM
On some cars (e.g. old dodges) you can crawl underneath and give the starter a solid whack with a hard object (a hammer is ideal). For reasons unbeknownst to me this will make the starter work. You might also consider replacing your starter motor. They are cheap and it is one of the easiest do it your self repairs.

Kailia Marie
03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi GoT,

I think you have an excellent outlook on life, and you shouldn't have to worry about missing one day of good deeds.

/images/graemlins/heart.gifKailia

daryn
03-07-2005, 10:40 PM
seems like a lot of people believe in karma but don't believe in god/religion. that seems stupid to me.

Zeno
03-07-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For reasons unbeknownst to me this will make the starter work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually the soleniod (sort of like an electic switch) is stuck and the jolt given by the hammer frees it up. Some makes have soleniods or swithes away from the starter itself, some are built in or attach on the starter.

-Zeno

ilya
03-07-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't sign it, people trying to use it will have to show ID that matches the name on the card, not just copy the signature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Can't whoever steals your card just make a fake signature on the back?

daryn
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't sign it, people trying to use it will have to show ID that matches the name on the card, not just copy the signature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Can't whoever steals your card just make a fake signature on the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and since it's signed, they won't ask for ID!

ilya
03-07-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and since it's signed, they won't ask for ID!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you agreeing or being sarcastic? Sorry, my sacrcasm meter is not so great. But no store clerk has ever asked me for my ID after I gave him a signed card.

daryn
03-08-2005, 12:07 AM
agreeing with you. that's what i'm saying, if you sign the card i think you are actually in much worse shape if you lose it.

ilya
03-08-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
agreeing with you. that's what i'm saying, if you sign the card i think you are actually in much worse shape if you lose it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, I'm saying it doesn't matter since the thief can easily fake a signature, and clerks have no baseline signature for comparison.

daryn
03-08-2005, 12:15 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, I'm saying it doesn't matter since the thief can easily fake a signature, and clerks have no baseline signature for comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct. can you not understand what i am saying? i'm saying the only way to have real security is NOT to sign your card.

Sponger15SB
03-08-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I make jokes about karma too, but I wouldn't say I "believe" in it

[/ QUOTE ]

ilya
03-08-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

correct. can you not understand what i am saying? i'm saying the only way to have real security is NOT to sign your card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why? Do you mean it's because you'll have an easier time proving you didn't buy those things since the signature won't match yours?

edit: oh, you're saying write something like "see ID" in there instead. ok. sorry, i was only thinking of two options: signed or blank.

GuyOnTilt
03-08-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you guys talking about? You don't leave it blank when you don't sign it. You write "SEE ID" in the space instead.

GoT

daryn
03-08-2005, 12:36 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you guys talking about? You don't leave it blank when you don't sign it. You write "SEE ID" in the space instead.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

not signing it produces the same result.

ilya
03-08-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no it doesn't! the person who stole the card just signs it in the blank space, and you're screwed.

GuyOnTilt
03-08-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, people have said this like three times already. No, it doesn't. Whoever steals or finds your CC can just sign your name in the space if you leave it blank and then sign the printout the same way.

GoT

daryn
03-08-2005, 12:42 AM
yes, you are correct.

astroglide
03-08-2005, 01:56 AM
if you have the SEE ID thing you'll get hosed at places like the post office. they require an actual signature at government institutions apparently.