PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Straight on Monotone Board Meets Turn Aggression

LuckyStrike
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
BB is a fish, 60+ VP$IP, 0 PFR and low aggression on later streets. MP2 is also fishy, with a 35 VP$IP and his aggression stats at that point were under 1.

On the flop, I was content to check/call if BB bet but would have check/raised if I got the chance. With the check/call, I was going to come out gunning on any non-flush card, which is what happened and what I did. Then it comes back to me two cold... it took me until the last few seconds to make my decision.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero ... ?

Thigh
03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't know if I understand why you called the flop, instead of raising it. I would cap the bet on the turn.

Bodhi
03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
If you're confident in your reads, then you can fold. I would hate folding a flopped straight, but we all know the /images/graemlins/club.gif6 did not help anyone.

LuckyStrike
03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, with the monotone flush, I went into hand protection mode. I don't think betting out was a good way to protect my hand. Like I said, I had planned to check/raise but the BB bet from my left. I decided to forgo my probable edge in equity against lone spades until the turn, where if a safe card hit my edge would be much improved. I was definitely not expecting it to come back two to me against those opponents, though.

cold_cash
03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
You need to bet this flop.

On the turn I would just call the two bets and see what the BB does. If he caps it you can start thinking about a flopped flush and play the river accordingly. (Meaning check and call one bet. I wouldn't fold this unless you have a whole bunch of hands against these guys and the river gets wild).

If he just calls the turn I would bet the river and call a raise unless a spade comes off.

Bodhi
03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
You can't protect your hand when someone holds a high spade. No one will fold a big flush draw, right? Bet the flop.

keikiwai
03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Betting out on the flop would be a good idea I think. If someone has a flush or a high spade, it clearly would not protect your hand, but it may give the impression that you have a flush.

Also if someone else raises after you (like BB) it may push others out of the pot giving you a better chance.

On the turn, since the 6/images/graemlins/club.gif didn't help anyone you can bet, if BB now raises you you can easily fold, since you've represented a flush on the flop, so you can be pretty sure BB has a decent strength flush, unless he's a maniac. (although you probably still want to call and wait for the river, possibly even check/calling one more bet if the river is not a spade)

I think checking puts you in the awkward position of not knowing whether BB has a flush. He could have a set or 2 pair or flush draw for all you know.

Peter.

Thigh
03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Of course, here's another scenario. Since you were only in the pot with one bet, you could have just mucked your hand and not worried about it. The pot wasn't very big.

I should get lots of taunting and laughter for this one.

LuckyStrike
03-07-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't protect your hand when someone holds a high spade. No one will fold a big flush draw, right? Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't I protect my hand? There's only 3 SB to the flop and 3 BB to the turn. If I can make someone face two cold on either street they'd be making a big mistake calling with a lone spade.

I didn't think I had great equity in the pot on the flop, hence why I waited until the turn to fire. Against someone with a spade, I'm only a 1.9:1 favorite to hold up by showdown. Then you have to factor in the fact that someone could have a flush already and that I'm up against two opponents and not one. When the blank hit the turn, my equity went way up.

Bodhi
03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
once you check-raise the flop, assuming there's no one in between you and bettor, there'd be 6sb, and so the guy to your right is getting 3-1 odds on his flush draw. Now he needs 4.1-1 to call profitably, but the real question is whether he can profit 4.1x his flop investment if he hits the spade on the turn. Bad players will call, even some not so bad players will call.