PDA

View Full Version : Modifying range of hands calculations

microbet
03-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Is anyone working on, or has anyone seen any software that calculates how a particular hand does against a weighted range of hands?

I just started using pokerstove and am not too familiar with it yet, but I assume it just runs simulations against every hand in the range with the likelyhood of their being dealt taken into consideration.

But, what if there is a range that you are pretty sure about, but also a range that is possible, but less likely in your estimation?

This sounds like it would make things complex, but the calculations wouldn't be significantly harder and with a good interface it wouldn't be very hard to add some kind of overlay of range likelyhood.

microbet
03-07-2005, 10:29 PM
bump in case the night shift might comment.

Travis
03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
You know something like this would be really interesting. When I'm thinking of a range of hands, I really want to weight the top end more then the bottom end. For example, you suspect that everyone calls in a certain situation with AA-JJ but perhaps only .75 of people call with 1010 and maybe .5 with 99-77 or something like that. Hard to be too percise with these estimates but it would be fun to play with them.

I guess you could calculate the weights manually using poker stove. Run different simulation with different hand ranges and then do your own weighted averages.

Bigwig
03-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Yes, I've done this. I've got many ranges (11 or so). I slide them depending on the situation. For example, I have a range for a typical opening CO raiser. When they're especially aggressive, I may slide them 1/2 range to the right. Or a full range, depending on the situation. I also slide the ranges based on other action besides an opener. For example, typical UTG raiser fits in range 4. However, someone that reraises the UTG would likely fit into 2 or possibly 3 if aggressive. I can then judge my hand against that range with the equity of the hand.

I constructed it using pokerstove. It's quite useful.

Scuba Chuck
03-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Can you save hand ranges in pokerstove?

Bigwig
03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I simply made hand charts. And they're beat up and need updated. I just have been winning at such a good clip that I've gotten lazy. I'll reevaluate them when I hit a losing skid and need a break.

microbet
03-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Hand charts? You mean like, you used your hands to make a chart? Is that possible?

Bigwig
03-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Heh, yeah, that's what I meant. I wrote the hands down on sheets of paper. I don't know what you mean by 'is that possible.' You don't need to chart EVERY hand. I mean, you pretty much have a good idea when J2o is not playable. And many hands like A7-A2 or 77-22 have very similar equity vs. a range of hands. Within 1-2% usually.

microbet
03-08-2005, 03:32 AM
Just joking because I'm pretty computer centric. I'm sure having some charts posted is more practical in the heat of battle.