PDA

View Full Version : Raise or Fold Calling shouldnt be an option

Mike Gallo
09-22-2002, 12:58 PM
After playing for almost two solid years, Something came to mind that has helped my game improve a lot. When I open a pot, I want to open with a raise. When I get raised, I will reraise and not just cold call. If someone bets ahead of me, if I want to continue the hand I will often raise. Force my opponent to make a decision.

Last night I had thoughts of Tommy Angelo ringing in my head. Raise, or fold. Bet out, instead of check calling. Check raise when you think you can get one off.

Every time I got in a difficult situation, I either raised or folded. Very rarely did I call. I only called when I wanted my opponent to do by betting for me.

Overall, I found my results have improved as a result of these plays. Its strange how I overheard players comment that I could play like that since I had so many chips. I was working on my second pyramid. See Gambling Theory and Other topics to see that I mean. They didnt realize that playing the way I did is what got the chips in the first place.

Selective aggression is the key to this game, in the right situation.

Dynasty
09-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Selective aggression is the key to this game, in the right situation

You aren't being very selective. You are raising nearly every time you play. There are many times when you should open-limp rather than open-raise. There are also many times when check-calling is the right play. The simplistic pump-it-or-dump-it strategy will cost you money in the long run.

Mike Gallo
09-22-2002, 08:08 PM
There are also many times when check-calling is the right play.

It depends on the situation. If I have a draw to the nut flush, I will usually pump it. I will ocasionally check call, not because I feel a fear of raising or betting but because I think its the best play. I will weigh all my options and if check calling is the best one, I will take it.

There are many times when you should open-limp rather than open-raise.

I agree, I open limped a few times yesterday to throw my opponents off. I open limped with AQ off UTG, and flopped an Ace. I normally don't like to open with a hand that I cannot open for a raise with. I do not like limping first in with JQ suited or even a hand like Axs. I will limp in with small pairs, however I throw them away if I dont flop a set, or some other type of draw.

You aren't being very selective.

Hmmm,are you implying that have I started to play like a semi maniac?

Dynasty
09-23-2002, 01:36 AM
You two posts read like they were written by two different players.

JTG51
09-23-2002, 02:34 AM
I open limped with AQ off UTG

Oh, I hate doing that. I want as few opponents as possible with that hand. I think when someone limps UTG, it encourages more people to limp. I sure don't want a lot of people limping behind me with AQo.

I do not like limping first in with JQ suited or even a hand like Axs

I disagree with that one too. I want everyone to play when I have a hand like QJs.

Noo Yawk
09-23-2002, 06:32 PM
The raise or fold issue was brought up a thread earlier this year. Basically, it's a good one time excercise in discipline.
As, an overall strategy, it will hurt you in the long run. A balanced strategy is the key to long term profits.
Your point about putting other players on tough decisions is the key. After a while, your raises will start to get called down, as made hands will correctly be able to put you on draws or second best made hands.
But overall, I do agree with gist of your post. I'd just take it down a couple of notches.