PDA

View Full Version : SNG bubble strategy

betgo
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
I am a semipro to pro MTT player, but I haven't been doing that well in SNGs. I think my problem is that I have not been playing enough attention to the bubble.

There was a Card Player article by Lee Jones on folding into the money that was criticized here, but it helped me.

I think you almost have to play SNGs like a Step tournament where 3 places advance. Once you get to the top 3, then you can open up. I have found playing tighter near the bubble and even quite a ways before the bubble works better. I was blowing fairly big stacks on EV+ plays where I would bust out or close. You don't want to play weak tight, but I think you need to be real aware of not blowing a spot in the top 3.

beeyjay
03-07-2005, 05:15 PM
I think you're thinking is exactly right that you need to essentially treat it as a step tourney where 3 advance. Sngs to me really are two part tourneys. the pre and post money. Maybe even 3 part if you consider the 1st part where you are hardly playing anything as seperate from the bubble.

I don't exactly remember the problems this forum had with the lee jones article, but as a regular reader here who has some recollection of that article, I think the biggest problem would be with the ease he describes sliding into the money. There are those sngs where you can literally fold into the money. However at least at the 30s and up, you are more often than not going to have to make a stand and push at some point. He made it out to sound much more like other people would go out so just sit back and relax.

You sound like you have the right idea though when you say that you should really be playing for the top 3. In my opinion this means folding in some slightly EV+ situations concerning your chips because that play is probably EV+ for your actual money.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you make a stand it is far better to do it as the one who is pushing (even with any two cards assuming you have some fold equity) than to call someone else. An execption to this might be if a small stack that is about to be hit by a large blind moves in and you are one of the last to act. This is often a great time if you have a fairly strong A or K or medium or up pair.

You sound like youre on the right track so hopefully this gives you some confidence and maybe helps out a little.

BJ

poker-penguin
03-08-2005, 02:07 AM
I'm playing Limit, and 10+1, right now, so my opinion is going to be considered less than worthless by some people, that said, I'm going to give it anyway.

There are a bunch of threads out there right now disputing this theory of moneying at any cost.

Personally, once we hit bubble territory (4 / 5 players, small stacks less than 7 big blinds - a pre flop raise and a bet on every street), I'm doing all I can to be in a position to win the whole damn thing.

Why? Partly it's pride, I gain a certain amount of extra utility (see, econ 101 IS useful) from coming first. Mostly, it's money.

3rd = $9 profit
2nd = $19 profit (over twice as good as third)
1st = $39 profit (over twice as good as second)

So, first place creates 4.something times the profit of coming third. Yes, there's a time for trying to sneak in, but generally, winning isn't every thing, it's the only thing.

SuitedSixes
03-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Does anyone have a link to the article, or the discussion about the article?

trying2learn
03-08-2005, 06:47 PM
i'm particularly interested in this discussion right now, because i have just made it into step 4 at party poker. (the one that started at 11$, and now is a 535$ freeroll for me)

i now need to make it into the top three one more time to enter into a tourney for huge money (at least for me).

i've been talking with my friends about the best approach, and the responses have been mixed. some have said to rock up and just try and make the money (top three advance), and and another has said without question to play the game that got me here...which is fairly loose-aggressive, while trying to depend on my hand reading that has improved over the last year.

honestly, i would never play in a $500 sit and go (not until my bankroll grows substantially)...so I would be suprised if my game isn't at least somewhat affected by my first entry into this level...anyway, I thought I'd mention it here since this thread seemed to deal with some of the things I've been thinking about.

beeyjay
03-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Suited-
Heres theDiscussion (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1248241&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

It contains a link to the article.