PDA

View Full Version : Overcalls, this hand may help you grasp the concept

zuluking
03-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Disregard what the fish was playing, but focus on his turn play. He missed an opportunity to squeeze out one extra bet.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

---By raising he's knocked out the CO who might have called one bet here. So, with the river action, he collects 6 bets for his turn/river play. IF he would call the turn and raise the river, he would collect 7 bets (with an outside chance at 8). Do you see why? If the CO doesn't bother to call the turn, so be it, he still collects the 6 bets.

---

River: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has 6c Qs (two pair, queens and sixes).
Hero has Qh Tc (one pair, queens).
Outcome: MP1 wins 10 BB. </font>

bozlax
03-07-2005, 02:05 PM
The assumption being that since nobody raised the flop, nobody's working an OESD (KT, T9), right?

(Disclaimer: I don't know squadoosh, and I'm just trying to learn by saying stupid things and getting bitch-slapped by ShillX and Entity.)

Entity
03-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Zulu,

I don't really think this is a case for overcalls. You only have one player behind you who is very likely to be on a draw given this board, so raising the turn with two pair is the correct play. Your hand is good but not super strong, and you'd rather A) extract value from the flop/turn bettor and B) extract value from drawing hands. With only one possible caller behind you, on this board he's about as likely to fold for one bet as he is to fold for two bets, so I'd just raise, were I the dude with Q6o.

Rob

tytygoodnuts
03-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Since when do people overcall on the turn? I thought overcalling is for the river when no more cards can come. He played the turn correctly, he protected his hand with a raise.
I don't think you should slowplay with two pair on the turn. This really isn't an example of a possible overcall IMO.

Isura
03-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I haven't looked at the results yet. If villian has a set, yes I think the overcall is correct. Otherwise though, how does villian know you are going to bet on river if he smooth-calls and CO calls behind? For example, if he has something like 2 pair or TPGK, he doesn't want something like A4, KJ, or an OESD to stay in cheaply. It might have been a small mistake to not go for the overcall, if at all if his hand is in the lower-range of hands that raise this turn.