PDA

View Full Version : Problem With VP$IP

iluzion
03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I am having trouble getting my VP$IP as low as I want it and I think it should be. Over about 1k (I know, small sample size) .5/1 hands the first half at stars and the rest on party, my VP$IP is at about 22%. Does anyone have any idea what are common mistake hands that I might be limping with that I shouldn't or calling raises with that I shouldn't? This probobly isnt enough detail to get a good answer, but I'm at school right now with out my PT stats so when I get home I plan to look them over and post hands I play too much that might be a problem.

davelin
03-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Unsuited broadways seems to be a trouble spot for players with a slightly high VPIP.

bottomset
03-07-2005, 12:32 PM
22% isn't necessarily bad, or non-optimal

but since you don't seem confident with all the hands you are playing, its likely you are playing too many

common problems are offsuit aces,
KJo, QJo, QTo, JTo playing those in early pos
playing weak suited connectors 98s-54s, T8s-64s in early/middle position on agressive tables, or without limpers in

it could be a good run of cards combined with good table conditions thats letting you play extra hands that you would often be unable to .. 1k hands is a small small sample

jrz1972
03-07-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
calling raises with that I shouldn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you thought to mention this suggests to me that you may be coldcalling preflop raises too often. My cold-call % is something like 0.3%. If you have to think to yourself "am I coldcalling too often?" then you probably are.

Aside from that, a lot of beginning players play ace-rag offsuit and offsuit broadway like KTo and QJo in EP and MP. Maybe that's a problem.

iluzion
03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Being that I have been playign the SUPER loose party tables recently, I have been playing alot of those suited connecters, even to raises because I know if I hit and MHIG which it usually will be when hit, I am going to get a big pot.

Your right on the big unsuited broadways, I didn't think about those but I have been playing too many of them in EP or MP. KJo QJo JTo I know are a proble, what about ATo, is that grouped in there or not?

What about Ace-rag-suited? I limp with this EP and will open raise if folded to me in late position with something like A7s or A8s and up.

Bizot
03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being that I have been playign the SUPER loose party tables recently, I have been playing alot of those suited connecters, even to raises because I know if I hit and MHIG which it usually will be when hit, I am going to get a big pot.

Your right on the big unsuited broadways, I didn't think about those but I have been playing too many of them in EP or MP. KJo QJo JTo I know are a proble, what about ATo, is that grouped in there or not?

What about Ace-rag-suited? I limp with this EP and will open raise if folded to me in late position with something like A7s or A8s and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

22% isn't that bad.. calling with suited connectors that are low is bad. I don't think i have cold called in ALONG time with anything period and if you are doing it on a long term basis that is not goooot!

ATo is a good hand i limp with it, KQ i will raise if first one in the pot and same with KJ *but i am on the agressive side of things* QJ and JT i play on the button only if there are 4+ limpers with me.

Axs i'll play late position with atleast 3 limpers with me and Axo i never play unless in sb and fold it to a raise in the bb and sb no matter what.

davelin
03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Post deleted by davelin

AlmightyJay
03-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I actually am in the same boat as you. I just hit 1,000 hands on PS and have a 21.58% VPIP. I have no idea how to bring it down. The only unsuited broadways I play in early position are AK-AJ and KQ if the table is passive. I almost never cold-call raises. The only thing I can think of is maybe I play too many suited connectors, but PS .02/.04 tends to be extremely passive, allowing me to get away with that. Maybe that's why.

iluzion
03-07-2005, 12:50 PM
How low of suited connectors is too low to play?

Why not play Axs at these loose passive tables? Recalling the play last night, even raised hands preflop had 4 or more players seeing the flop, and atleast 2 but often 3 or more of them saw a showdown.

iluzion
03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
What is the exact definition of cold-calling? Is it straight calling the blind and raise when it gets to you together, or posting then calling the raise?

davelin
03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How low of suited connectors is too low to play?

Why not play Axs at these loose passive tables? Recalling the play last night, even raised hands preflop had 4 or more players seeing the flop, and atleast 2 but often 3 or more of them saw a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry sorry sorry, I had a brain cramp and I interpreted suited to be unsuited for a short period of time. For suited connectors, I never cold-call with them, these are hands that want to see the flop cheaply. I typically limp with them only in middle to late position unless table conditions are favorable. With the right conditions, I would probably only go down to 54s. Avoid in EP -

Unsuited broadways (including ATo and down)
Suited Ace-rag without the right conditions
Suited connectors without the right conditions
Other facecard-rag suited

And make sure not to open-limp in middle positions as well.

davelin
03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the exact definition of cold-calling? Is it straight calling the blind and raise when it gets to you together, or posting then calling the raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling 2 or more SBs in one shot. You should rarely cold-call.

GrunchCan
03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, its calling a raised bet when you haven't yet put any money in the pot. Specifically, if you limp in and then it comes back to you 3 to go, if you call the additional two its not a cold call.

davelin
03-07-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, its calling a raised bet when you haven't yet put any money in the pot. Specifically, if you limp in and then it comes back to you 3 to go, if you call the additional two its not a cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah you're right!

bottomset
03-07-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but limp->call the 3bet you need a hand almost as good as you would to cold call

dkernler
03-07-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually am in the same boat as you. I just hit 1,000 hands on PS and have a 21.58% VPIP. I have no idea how to bring it down. The only unsuited broadways I play in early position are AK-AJ and KQ if the table is passive. I almost never cold-call raises. The only thing I can think of is maybe I play too many suited connectors, but PS .02/.04 tends to be extremely passive, allowing me to get away with that. Maybe that's why.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a 22% VP$IP after 10k hands at PS 2c/4c and a healthy BB/100. Don't worry about it. It'll come down as you go up.

iluzion
03-07-2005, 01:21 PM
thats 2c/4c.... im playing .5/1.

dkernler
03-07-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats 2c/4c.... im playing .5/1.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was replying to Jay.

iluzion
03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]